Re: [AQ_NFS] Add using nFS ID

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
      If this person belongs to an already existing family on your local data base, review with family search one of the family members you already have. When you review that person on nFS, select the option at the bottom of either parents/siblings or spouses/children, depending on how that new person fits in with the individual in your data base that you have chosen. Expand the family on the nFS side (right side of the screen) by clicking the plus sign

      When you do that you will see the extra person on nFS that you want. click on the the person on the nFS side that you want brought into your data base and hit process and it will come into your data base. Be careful because all the warts come with that person, such as abbreviations that you may not want to introduce into your quick entry place list. When you have completed this process you may have to go into your data base and edit any information you want to change.

      Leslie

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2010
        Dear Leslie,

        Thank you.

        What you are saying works very well if they exist in a family unit on nFS.

        It they are say an "extraction" from a christening record then you have to find them again. They are a single entity on nFS with their parents listed. Which also means their parents are not combined either.

        AQ does not allow you to search for them using nFS ID. You can search within your local database to find someone existing. You can enter their RIN number or search alphabetically.

        You cannot search nFS by entering a nFS number from within AQ to add them. This appears to be lacking in AQ and should be there.

        I find myself adding them manually. Using two screens. One to view them on nFS and the other to add them to AQ. Then I have to sychronize them.

        Seeing I know they are mine then I should be able to streamline this and use the nFS ID..... but it is not allowed.

        It is my suggestion for an improvement to an already fantastic program.

        --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie Vaughn" <Leslievaughn@...> wrote:

        > If this person belongs to an already existing family on your local data base, review with family search one of the family members you already have. When you review that person on nFS, select the option at the bottom of either parents/siblings or spouses/children, depending on how that new person fits in with the individual in your data base that you have chosen. Expand the family on the nFS side (right side of the screen) by clicking the plus sign
        >
        > When you do that you will see the extra person on nFS that you want. click on the the person on the nFS side that you want brought into your data base and hit process and it will come into your data base. Be careful because all the warts come with that person, such as abbreviations that you may not want to introduce into your quick entry place list. When you have completed this process you may have to go into your data base and edit any information you want to change.
        >
        > Leslie

      • Jerry Barrett
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2010
          Ken,

          If you add the individual with just a name - then you can use AQ to fetch/sync
          up the rest.

          Add the individual - just use the name - save

          Highlight individual in Family View,

          Click on FS Icon or FamilySearch / Lync/Sync/Upload

          Could not find any likely duplicates, switching to search - OK

          Search by FS PID - key in value - hit search

          Then you can sync from the possible matches screen.

          Not as clean as just entering the FS ID to start with - but no need for
          multiple screens - and minimal extra typing.

          Jerry Barrett
          Taylorsville, UT

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2010
            Ken:

            Let me take this a bit further.

            In another message, you say that the person does exist in nFS, but is
            not part of the nFS family as he/she should be.

            If you'll use a combination of what both Leslie and Jerry have
            suggested, you can kill two birds with one stone.

            I would:

            1) Add this child to my family in AQ -- just minimal data as Jerry suggests.
            2) Go to the "Review Individual with FamilySearch" screen for a member
            of the family who is already linked.
            3) Go to the "Parents/Siblings" or "Spouses/Children" screen to get the
            family which should include this child.
            4) Expand the proper family and make sure the parents are linked between
            your file and the nFS file.

            You should now be looking at the family of interest both in AQ and in
            nFS. You should see the name of this child you are dealing with in the
            local family, but not in the nFS side.

            5) Click the option box for the child in question on the local side.
            6) Select the option to search for a matching record in nFS.
            7) As Jerry indicated, use the "Search" option to search by nFS ID to
            locate the matching record.
            8) Select the matching record, then choose the "Sync" option. (The
            record will not yet be synced, but will be marked to be synced when you
            later hit the "Process" button on the Family Sync screen.)

            This should take you back to the family sync screen, with the option box
            for the child still open, but it will now show that you have found a
            matching nFS record.

            9) Click 'OK' on the Options box.

            The screen should now show that the nFS child will be linked both to
            your newly added local child record, and also be linked on nFS into the
            family, so that nFS will have an extra family member.

            You'll end up both linking your local record, which you can later review
            and pull more data from nFS to your local record, and you will also
            improve the nFS family to now include a child that wasn't linked in before.

            Gaylon

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2010
              Dear Leslie, Jerry and Gaylon,

              Thank you all. I have printed out your solutions, because I won't remember it all, to use with this problem that comes up occasionally.

              THANK YOU.

              Cheers,

              Ken