Re: [AQ_NFS] Change of Gender

  • Paul, Incline Support
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
      Ken:

      Ancestral Quest will not change the gender of the person in question
      because he/she has a spouse.

      This is a common issue, and is addressed on the Frequently Asked
      Questions page of our site. Here is a direct link to this question and
      its answer.

      http://www.ancquest.com/faqs.htm#TechReverseSpouses

      AQ 12.1 Product Box <http://www.ancquest.com>
      *Paul Johnson*
      Support Technician

      Incline Software
      PO Box 95543
      South Jordan, UT 84095 USA

      www.ancquest.com <http://www.ancquest.com>
      801-280-4434

      On 11/3/2010 12:51 PM, Ken Doyle wrote:

      > Accidentally put a person as a male that should be a female. Linked
      > them to nFS.
      >
      > Could not change their gender.
      >
      > Deleted them from nFS.
      >
      > Could not change their gender.
      >
      > Removed their spouse. Could not change their gender.
      >
      > Unlinked them from the family. Could not change their gender.
      >
      > Seems my last resort will have to be deleting them from the genealogy
      > and losing notes etc.
      >
      > Surely there is a better way. AQ has the areas for Male, Female and
      > Unknown greyed out. Surely I should be able to edit this part.

    • Terry Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
        Dear nFS user...

        Gender modification requires a little care. You will find out that
        nFS has a LOT of people that are female that have been added and
        ordinances performed who were in fact males. Right now, you have to
        contact the church for repair on those persons, you will need a PID
        and it would be wise to have a actual source for the change.

        In AQ it is another issue. You will need to write down the RINs for
        the associated reversed persons, husband and wife, and record their
        marriage date. If there is a lot of in formation a Family Group Print
        out would be appropriate, and helps to realighn the children as well.

        Then you go to the marriage and delete the marriage. At that point
        the spouse will disappear.... if their are mulple spouses you will
        need to do for ALl OF THEM otherwise you will not be able to alter the
        sex.

        Then start with the peson you are on. Select them and change the sex
        from what it is to what it should be. Find the spouse(s) and do like
        wise because they are wrong too.

        Then reconnect the spouses, and add back the children being certain to
        change their surnames as they may be wrong too.

        If you are having trouble, I would recommend that you do a
        check/repair first in case there is something wrong in the marriage
        links. Save your data FIRST. Always do a back up before performing
        these steps... save yourself heart ache by ALWAYS performing backups.
        Your family is too important to take changes with, and computers are
        anything but reliable.... <Grin!> That's the voice of experience!!

        Best regards... Terry

        On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 17:06:54 -0700, you wrote:

        >Gender change is such a serious issue with the church that you may need to
        >work with someone in SLC to get it changed.
        >

        >Jim
        >

        > _____

      • Ken Doyle
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2010
          Thank you everyone. I actually found in the end unlink was not enough. I had to delete the marriage.

          Took me some time to work it out.

          It was an accidental choosing of the wrong sex that did it and I did not notice when adding the spouse they too had the wrong sex.

          I only found this out when trying to sync with a person on nFS. Cannot sync opposite sexes.

          Terry I have four back up systems.

          I know what you mean. Learnt the hard way.