Re: [AQ_NFS] Change of Gender

  • Miles Meyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
      I think you will need to unlink them from the nFS person. Go to the
      FamilySearch menu of AQ and select Unlink. That will remove the PID from the
      record and should allow you to make the change.

      Miles Meyer
      Jacksonville, FL

      On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Ken Doyle <kendoyle179@...> wrote:

      > Accidentally put a person as a male that should be a female. Linked them to
      > nFS.
      >
      > Could not change their gender.
      >
      > Deleted them from nFS.
      >
      > Could not change their gender.
      >
      > Removed their spouse. Could not change their gender.
      >
      > Unlinked them from the family. Could not change their gender.
      >
      > Seems my last resort will have to be deleting them from the genealogy and
      > losing notes etc.
      >
      > Surely there is a better way. AQ has the areas for Male, Female and Unknown
      > greyed out. Surely I should be able to edit this part.

    • Paul, Incline Support
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
        Ken:

        Ancestral Quest will not change the gender of the person in question
        because he/she has a spouse.

        This is a common issue, and is addressed on the Frequently Asked
        Questions page of our site. Here is a direct link to this question and
        its answer.

        http://www.ancquest.com/faqs.htm#TechReverseSpouses

        AQ 12.1 Product Box <http://www.ancquest.com>
        *Paul Johnson*
        Support Technician

        Incline Software
        PO Box 95543
        South Jordan, UT 84095 USA

        www.ancquest.com <http://www.ancquest.com>
        801-280-4434

        On 11/3/2010 12:51 PM, Ken Doyle wrote:

        > Accidentally put a person as a male that should be a female. Linked
        > them to nFS.
        >
        > Could not change their gender.
        >
        > Deleted them from nFS.
        >
        > Could not change their gender.
        >
        > Removed their spouse. Could not change their gender.
        >
        > Unlinked them from the family. Could not change their gender.
        >
        > Seems my last resort will have to be deleting them from the genealogy
        > and losing notes etc.
        >
        > Surely there is a better way. AQ has the areas for Male, Female and
        > Unknown greyed out. Surely I should be able to edit this part.

      • JimLight
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
          Gender change is such a serious issue with the church that you may need to
          work with someone in SLC to get it changed.

          Jim

          _____

          <mailto:kendoyle179%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

          > Accidentally put a person as a male that should be a female. Linked them
          > nFS.
          >
          > Could not change their gender.
          >
          > Deleted them from nFS.
          >
          > Could not change their gender.
          >
          > Removed their spouse. Could not change their gender.
          >
          > Unlinked them from the family. Could not change their gender.
          >
          > Seems my last resort will have to be deleting them from the genealogy and
          > losing notes etc.
          >
          > Surely there is a better way. AQ has the areas for Male, Female and
          Unknown
          > greyed out. Surely I should be able to edit this part.

        • Terry Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
            Dear nFS user...

            Gender modification requires a little care. You will find out that
            nFS has a LOT of people that are female that have been added and
            ordinances performed who were in fact males. Right now, you have to
            contact the church for repair on those persons, you will need a PID
            and it would be wise to have a actual source for the change.

            In AQ it is another issue. You will need to write down the RINs for
            the associated reversed persons, husband and wife, and record their
            marriage date. If there is a lot of in formation a Family Group Print
            out would be appropriate, and helps to realighn the children as well.

            Then you go to the marriage and delete the marriage. At that point
            the spouse will disappear.... if their are mulple spouses you will
            need to do for ALl OF THEM otherwise you will not be able to alter the
            sex.

            Then start with the peson you are on. Select them and change the sex
            from what it is to what it should be. Find the spouse(s) and do like
            wise because they are wrong too.

            Then reconnect the spouses, and add back the children being certain to
            change their surnames as they may be wrong too.

            If you are having trouble, I would recommend that you do a
            check/repair first in case there is something wrong in the marriage
            links. Save your data FIRST. Always do a back up before performing
            these steps... save yourself heart ache by ALWAYS performing backups.
            Your family is too important to take changes with, and computers are
            anything but reliable.... <Grin!> That's the voice of experience!!

            Best regards... Terry

            On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 17:06:54 -0700, you wrote:

            >Gender change is such a serious issue with the church that you may need to
            >work with someone in SLC to get it changed.
            >

            >Jim
            >

            > _____

          • Ken Doyle
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2010
              Thank you everyone. I actually found in the end unlink was not enough. I had to delete the marriage.

              Took me some time to work it out.

              It was an accidental choosing of the wrong sex that did it and I did not notice when adding the spouse they too had the wrong sex.

              I only found this out when trying to sync with a person on nFS. Cannot sync opposite sexes.

              Terry I have four back up systems.

              I know what you mean. Learnt the hard way.