Change of Gender

  • Ken Doyle
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
      Accidentally put a person as a male that should be a female. Linked them to nFS.

      Could not change their gender.

      Deleted them from nFS.

      Could not change their gender.

      Removed their spouse. Could not change their gender.

      Unlinked them from the family. Could not change their gender.

      Seems my last resort will have to be deleting them from the genealogy and losing notes etc.

      Surely there is a better way. AQ has the areas for Male, Female and Unknown greyed out. Surely I should be able to edit this part.
    • Miles Meyer
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
        I think you will need to unlink them from the nFS person. Go to the
        FamilySearch menu of AQ and select Unlink. That will remove the PID from the
        record and should allow you to make the change.

        Miles Meyer
        Jacksonville, FL

        On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Ken Doyle <kendoyle179@...> wrote:

        > Accidentally put a person as a male that should be a female. Linked them to
        > nFS.
        >
        > Could not change their gender.
        >
        > Deleted them from nFS.
        >
        > Could not change their gender.
        >
        > Removed their spouse. Could not change their gender.
        >
        > Unlinked them from the family. Could not change their gender.
        >
        > Seems my last resort will have to be deleting them from the genealogy and
        > losing notes etc.
        >
        > Surely there is a better way. AQ has the areas for Male, Female and Unknown
        > greyed out. Surely I should be able to edit this part.

      • Paul, Incline Support
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
          Ken:

          Ancestral Quest will not change the gender of the person in question
          because he/she has a spouse.

          This is a common issue, and is addressed on the Frequently Asked
          Questions page of our site. Here is a direct link to this question and
          its answer.

          http://www.ancquest.com/faqs.htm#TechReverseSpouses

          AQ 12.1 Product Box <http://www.ancquest.com>
          *Paul Johnson*
          Support Technician

          Incline Software
          PO Box 95543
          South Jordan, UT 84095 USA

          www.ancquest.com <http://www.ancquest.com>
          801-280-4434

          On 11/3/2010 12:51 PM, Ken Doyle wrote:

          > Accidentally put a person as a male that should be a female. Linked
          > them to nFS.
          >
          > Could not change their gender.
          >
          > Deleted them from nFS.
          >
          > Could not change their gender.
          >
          > Removed their spouse. Could not change their gender.
          >
          > Unlinked them from the family. Could not change their gender.
          >
          > Seems my last resort will have to be deleting them from the genealogy
          > and losing notes etc.
          >
          > Surely there is a better way. AQ has the areas for Male, Female and
          > Unknown greyed out. Surely I should be able to edit this part.

        • JimLight
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
            Gender change is such a serious issue with the church that you may need to
            work with someone in SLC to get it changed.

            Jim

            _____

            <mailto:kendoyle179%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

            > Accidentally put a person as a male that should be a female. Linked them
            > nFS.
            >
            > Could not change their gender.
            >
            > Deleted them from nFS.
            >
            > Could not change their gender.
            >
            > Removed their spouse. Could not change their gender.
            >
            > Unlinked them from the family. Could not change their gender.
            >
            > Seems my last resort will have to be deleting them from the genealogy and
            > losing notes etc.
            >
            > Surely there is a better way. AQ has the areas for Male, Female and
            Unknown
            > greyed out. Surely I should be able to edit this part.

          • Terry Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
              Dear nFS user...

              Gender modification requires a little care. You will find out that
              nFS has a LOT of people that are female that have been added and
              ordinances performed who were in fact males. Right now, you have to
              contact the church for repair on those persons, you will need a PID
              and it would be wise to have a actual source for the change.

              In AQ it is another issue. You will need to write down the RINs for
              the associated reversed persons, husband and wife, and record their
              marriage date. If there is a lot of in formation a Family Group Print
              out would be appropriate, and helps to realighn the children as well.

              Then you go to the marriage and delete the marriage. At that point
              the spouse will disappear.... if their are mulple spouses you will
              need to do for ALl OF THEM otherwise you will not be able to alter the
              sex.

              Then start with the peson you are on. Select them and change the sex
              from what it is to what it should be. Find the spouse(s) and do like
              wise because they are wrong too.

              Then reconnect the spouses, and add back the children being certain to
              change their surnames as they may be wrong too.

              If you are having trouble, I would recommend that you do a
              check/repair first in case there is something wrong in the marriage
              links. Save your data FIRST. Always do a back up before performing
              these steps... save yourself heart ache by ALWAYS performing backups.
              Your family is too important to take changes with, and computers are
              anything but reliable.... <Grin!> That's the voice of experience!!

              Best regards... Terry

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2010
                Thank you everyone. I actually found in the end unlink was not enough. I had to delete the marriage.

                Took me some time to work it out.

                It was an accidental choosing of the wrong sex that did it and I did not notice when adding the spouse they too had the wrong sex.

                I only found this out when trying to sync with a person on nFS. Cannot sync opposite sexes.

                Terry I have four back up systems.

                I know what you mean. Learnt the hard way.