New Build addendum

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 26, 2010
      I just realized I missed announcing a fairly major enhancement dealing
      with NFS in build 26.

      On the NFS sync screens of AQ, you will now notice a set of icons by
      each event to indicate whether there are notes or sources for the event.
      A checkbox on the bottom of the Individual Review/Sync screen will show
      or hide these icons.

      If they are shown, you will initially see a set of grayed-out icons by
      each event, indicating that the notes have not yet been loaded. Once you
      load the notes/sources for any event, they should now be loaded for all
      events for that individual. Once loaded, the icons will visually tell
      you whether there are notes or sources for each event. I think you will
      find this feature very handy if you are serious about documentation.
      (Prior to this build, you could view the notes and sources for an event
      by clicking on the event and seeing if there were any notes or sources.
      This build should make it a lot easier and more visual.)

      Let me give you some background on notes/sources when dealing with AQ
      and nFS. Prior to April of 2010, AQ was able to show you all notes and
      sources for all events when you first opened up one of the nFS screens.
      Due to changes in the nFS API in the March 2010 release, AQ now waits
      for you to indicate that you want to see the notes and sources before it
      loads them. Here is and example of why this is:

      Prior to the March release of nFS, AQ was able to load all the
      information from nFS on a test person, including all notes and sources,
      in 8 seconds. After the March release, loading the same information from
      nFS now required 5 minutes. The nFS API took a dramatic step backwards
      in its ability to provide complete data to affiliate products. We
      learned that if we asked for all the information except for the notes
      and sources, it still took about 8 seconds, but it took the other nearly
      5 minutes to get all the notes and sources it used to get. So AQ now
      waits for you to indicate that you are willing to wait for the notes and
      sources before it shows them to you. This does not mean that you will
      ever wait the full 5 minutes to get some notes and sources for the
      individual -- AQ now divides the reading of notes/sources into small
      requests, so that on this test individual, it only takes a few
      additional seconds to get the notes and sources for the main Individual
      Review/Sync screen when you click the icon to do so, then later a few
      more seconds on the Parents/Sibling screen to get the marriage notes of
      the parents, then more time to get the notes/sources of each sibling,
      and so on. So you can get the notes/sources when you ask for them, and
      for each small portion of the notes/sources, you shouldn't have to wait
      too long.

      Gaylon
    • emregister
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
        I have tried on several occasions to master the 'check for changes' and have
        come up with no better understanding. I can find nothing in 'help'. If
        someone can enlighten me it would be appreciated.

        Eric

        -----

        No virus found in this message.

      • Miles Meyer
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
          The "Check for Changes" lets you see if a recpord has been changed in nFS.
          Once you have linked the individual in AQ to a record in nFS, the "Check for
          Changes" allows you to see if anything in nFS has changed since the last
          time you looked at the record. I find this very useful. I will select family
          groups occasionally to see if anything has changed on them. Sometimes it
          provides a record where I can't see any changes but that isn't too often. It
          lets me know if the record has been merged and therefore has a new PID#, if
          new temple work has been performed or if someone has gone in and made an
          edit to the record.

          If you have made a change in AQ and you want to make that change in nFS
          also, you should use the "Review Record" function. This pulls the AQ record
          and lets you compare it side-by-side with the nFS record so you can transfer
          the change from your database to the nFS record.

          I hope this explains it for you.

          Miles Meyer
          Jacksonville, FL

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
            I use check for changes multiple times a day.

            What this feature is doing is checking NFS to see if there have been any changes to it since you last synced your selected individuals. Those changes could be anything from someone combining or uncombining or adding another opinion to editing to temple ordinances completed.

            I suppose it is possible to check for changes for all individuals in your data base, but I would not recommend it, unless you have only a couple of hundred individuals in your system.

            You need to select some individuals you want to check. You select them the same way you would select any other type of list. And then you check for any changes on nfs and you can choose to import those changes or not.

            I have too many individuals to do all the temple work myself, so I reserve it for temple file through AQ. When I do that a statement submitted01Nov2010 appears in the date field of the temple ordinance. I check for changes to see if the temple work has been done.

            I select any temple ordinance date equals submitted and currently I have 202 individuals in which ANY temple ordinance field is submitted. Then I check for changes and as the temple work is done I am able to see that and import it into my data base.

            Caution--it seems when a parent has say a sealing date that says submitted and all other ordinances are complete, and a child is baptized, not only the child appears, but so do the parents in my check for changes list.

            Also periodically you have to do a check/repair on your data base because sometimes there are NO changes and the same folks keep popping up over and over again.

            Of course there are other types of lists that I use to check for changes but the submitted ordinance one is the one I use most often

            Leslie

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
              Leslie,

              I appreciate your comments. I will explore further.

              Regarding ordinances. Why not simply use the batch feature, let AQ check
              all reservations and then update automatically. I started from my home page
              and it took only 5 clicks and no typing and all of my 500+ reservations were
              checked and updated. Hurray for AQ.

              Eric

              Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] check for changes

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 6, 2010
                Every time I think I have the symbols sorted out I find later that I am
                wrong. I am referring to the ordinance symbols that appear at the extreme
                right of every name when in the Family view.

                There is an arrow, a check or an exclamation point. What does that
                exclamation point signify?

                Eric

                -----

                No virus found in this message.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 7, 2010
                  The exclamation point signifies that at least one ordinance is in progress.

                  Also, when I checked on the nFS site, HelpCenter, and searched for "symbols"
                  it said an ordinance may still be needed.

                  /Gunilla

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 7, 2010
                    As ordinance codes I see BAPSC and some of these letters may be lower case.
                    The 'C' - what does it signify?

                    Eric

                    -----

                    No virus found in this message.

                  • George Wright
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 7, 2010
                      Sealed to Children

                      This is an ordinance that is only performed in an LDS temple.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 7, 2010
                        The lower case means the ordinance is not complete but has been submitted.

                        The C signifies that all of the children of this person's temple work has been done if it is lower case it means that the children's work is in progress.

                        Leslie