Multiple marriages to same individual

  • James Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2009
      I've been using the Import function to add additional individuals to
      the end of my family tree. (And doing it carefully, just one
      generation at a time as suggested). However, nearly always I get
      multiple marriage records containing exactly the same info. For
      example, RIN 1 is husband, RIN 2 is wife, but MRIN 1, 2, 3 exist
      between the couple, with dates, places, and ordinance info the same on
      all 3 marriage records.

      It seems like a bug, but maybe there's a limitation of some sort on
      the NFS side? I'd understand better if the data on the 3 marriage
      records was different, but it's not. Any ideas?

      Message 2 of 3 , May 27, 2009
        James:

        If I were going to import one family at a time, I'd be using the "Review
        Individual" under the FamilySearch menu to review the local end-of-line
        record with the NFS record, then I'd click on the "Parents/Siblings"
        option to look at the next generation. From that screen, I'd check the
        appropriate boxes to import the parents/siblings/events that I want.

        It sounds like you're using the "Import Family Lines".

        Could you verify which method you are using to import these people? And
        could you give me the NFS ID of the child in this family, so I can
        examine it and see if there is a problem. (Problems could be with AQ,
        but also with the family structure on nFS.)

        Gaylon

        James Hansen wrote:
        > I've been using the Import function to add additional individuals to
        > the end of my family tree. (And doing it carefully, just one
        > generation at a time as suggested). However, nearly always I get
        > multiple marriage records containing exactly the same info. For
        > example, RIN 1 is husband, RIN 2 is wife, but MRIN 1, 2, 3 exist
        > between the couple, with dates, places, and ordinance info the same on
        > all 3 marriage records.
        >
        > It seems like a bug, but maybe there's a limitation of some sort on
        > the NFS side? I'd understand better if the data on the 3 marriage
        > records was different, but it's not. Any ideas?

      • Scott Scheibe
        Message 3 of 3 , May 27, 2009
          At 04:04 PM 5/27/2009 -0600, Gaylon Findlay wrote:

          I agree this is that is the best way, review the person
          click Spouses/Children combine duplicates, then sync them, the do the
          same with Parents/Siblings. Some times it pays to check the other spouse
          which will show other duplicates of the first spouse. Works a lot better
          than using groups sync because that way you get the marriage and sealed to
          parents information that you won't get with sysncing groups. The people
          you will see already have established connections, but if you search for
          individuals you might come up with all kinds of people. A lot of times
          there isn't enough information to determine if the people are the
          same other than names. It's a bit slower to do it that way but the only
          way to get the marriage/ sealing information.

          I've not had any problems with it importing multiple marriage records. I
          have found some duplicate people and a couple of marriages in my file from
          when I imported gedcoms from a couple of cousins or they had duplicates in
          their files. I've had to merge them as I've found them. I've not had much
          luck with it finding people to merge, I've done better going down the name
          list looking for duplicates but I have over 8800 people to look at.

          >James:
          >
          >If I were going to import one family at a time, I'd be using the "Review
          >Individual" under the FamilySearch menu to review the local end-of-line
          >record with the NFS record, then I'd click on the "Parents/Siblings"
          >option to look at the next generation. From that screen, I'd check the
          >appropriate boxes to import the parents/siblings/events that I want.

          Scott Scheibe
          dsscheibe@...
          <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

          Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
          <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>

          Searching: (first six generation surnames of fifteen partially found)
          ALDRICH, ANTHONY, APELT, BAUM, CHURCH, FRAZIER, GARDNER, HAMMOND, HENNIG,
          HUNT, KELLY, KISSELL, LEIN, MANLEY, MC_CLOUD, MC GINNIS, MILLER, MEYER,
          MOORE, MOSLEY, MYERS, NANCE, RIECHE, SAWYER, SCHEIBE, SCHUMAKE, SHAW,
          SOUTHERN, WALLACE, WALKER, WESTBROOK, WOODWARD