Ordinance reservation and Managing batches crashes AQ

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 16, 2010
      I think others have had this problem before, but now it is my turn.

      I tried to open the window for Ordinance Reservation, and it just partly
      loaded what I have already reserved. Then I got an error message and AQ
      shut down.

      So I also tried Managing batches. Review of one batch worked OK, but when I
      wanted to Review All, then after several minutes, I got the same error and
      AQ shut down.

      What is the fix for this? I have the latest version of AQ on my PC.

      Thanks,

      Gunilla

      Gunilla Manell
      1488 NW 2 AVE
      ONTARIO OR 97914
      Phone# 541-889-9076
      e-mail: <mailto:gmanell@...> gmanell@...
      HOME PAGE URL:
      <http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/> http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/
      FAMILY TREE HOME PAGE URL:
      <http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/genhome.html>
      http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/genhome.html

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 16, 2010
        For me, this turned out to be running the database from a flash drive.
        Whenever I would jar or even if the drive was slightly moved, the
        system would "crash". I resolved the problem by moving everything onto
        my system. If I want to carry the data with me on a flash drive, I
        copy my data from my c: drive to the flash. I keep the same
        organization as I had on my flash drive, but now do all my work (when
        I'm at home) on my computer's hard disk.

        The danger, of course, is that I have two copies of my data and
        keeping them straight is always a problem for some folks.

        I think my real problem is that the USB ports on my laptop computer
        are getting very tired and likely building some resistance that isn't
        normally a problem. AQ seems to be a little more sensitive, but
        considering what it is attempting to do in the OSMB system, it is
        understandable.

        If this is a problem and you are not using a flash or external drive
        like I was, then its time to clean up the system. There are several
        free software programs that will do cleanup on the registry (often
        overlooked) and don't forget to defrag wherever you have your data
        file residing. Be sure to run check and repair on the database itself.

        By the way, I've found that with custom events, the FamilyInsight
        interface destroys those custom events. I need to put something
        together to demonstrate this to Ohana, but it will be relatively easy
        to duplicate. Fortunately, I was testing on a copy of my database (I
        really like their edit places feature over what Gaylon offers in AQ)
        and so I didn't destroy any data.

        Hope this helps.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 16, 2010
          Gunilla:

          On 9/3, I posted a message about a problem in NFS that we made an
          adjustment for. Have you downloaded the Latest patch since then?

          Gaylon

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 16, 2010

            I was thinking I downloaded that patch. When I checked just now under
            Help/About it says I am running version 12.1.25 and it is dated 9/3/10.
            That looks like it was the patch?

            What else could be wrong? Tom Huber suggested it could have something to do
            with my data residing on a flash drive? I have used it that way for years
            and have had no problems until today. Could it be anything to that?

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 16, 2010
              Gunilla:

              I think Tom described a flash drive that had an intermittent connection
              to his computer -- it sounded like the drive wasn't always available
              when AQ tried to work with the file. I think that if your flash drive is
              solid, you wouldn't expect the trouble he described.

              If you can reproduce this problem, please send me directly
              (gfindlay@...) a backup copy of your database, along with a
              detailed description of what you were doing when the problem occurs.
              I'll look into it. You'll also need to send me the information I'll need
              to sign in as a helper for you -- your birth date and last 5 of the
              membership number.

              Gaylon

              On 9/16/2010 9:00 PM, Gunilla Manell wrote:
              > Gaylon,
              >

              > I was thinking I downloaded that patch. When I checked just now under
              > Help/About it says I am running version 12.1.25 and it is dated 9/3/10.
              > That looks like it was the patch?
              >

              > What else could be wrong? Tom Huber suggested it could have something to do
              > with my data residing on a flash drive? I have used it that way for years
              > and have had no problems until today. Could it be anything to that?
              >

              > /Gunilla

            • Margaret Thompson
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 17, 2010

                I am also getting an error using the reservation system. I am running the
                data on my HDD so it can't be a flash drive error. I will try to get details
                on the errors. I do have the latest version.

                Margaret

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 17, 2010
                  I rebooted my PC (my PC has winXP) and then a virus scan started, so while I
                  was waiting to see if the reboot helped, I opened AQ on my laptop. The
                  laptop has win7 on it and the AQ does NOT have the patch. I used the same
                  data on the same flash drive. On the laptop the Reservation screen and
                  Review All screen opened without any problems at all.

                  Then I tried my PC again after the reboot. This AQ had the patch installed.
                  I only tested the Reservation screen and it looked like it had almost loaded
                  completely, when the error came up and AQ shut down.

                  I uninstalled the AQ with patch. Then I installed AQ again without the
                  patch, dated April something. Then I tried both the Reservation screen and
                  Review All screen. It took some time to load, but no crash.

                  So the patch that fixed a similar problem for some people, messed my AQ up?
                  Anyhow, it sure seems like my AQ works fine without the patch.

                  Gaylon, to you still need a backup of may database for testing?

                  (gfindlay@... <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> ) a backup copy of
                  your database, along with a
                  detailed description of what you were doing when the problem occurs.
                  I'll look into it. You'll also need to send me the information I'll need
                  to sign in as a helper for you -- your birth date and last 5 of the
                  membership number.

                  Gaylon

                  On 9/16/2010 9:00 PM, Gunilla Manell wrote:
                  > Gaylon,
                  >

                  > I was thinking I downloaded that patch. When I checked just now under
                  > Help/About it says I am running version 12.1.25 and it is dated 9/3/10.
                  > That looks like it was the patch?
                  >

                  > What else could be wrong? Tom Huber suggested it could have something to
                  do
                  > with my data residing on a flash drive? I have used it that way for years
                  > and have had no problems until today. Could it be anything to that?
                  >

                  > /Gunilla
                  >

                  > From: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
                  Of