Check for Changes:

  • Jerry Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27 12:39 PM
      Hello Group:
      Does anyone know why I would be getting an unusual amount of hits when I "check for changes" over the past week?. There appears to be no visible change on most of the records listed as being changed. My best guess is New Family Search is messing with the data base which causes the change.

      As an enhancement, it would be nice to be able to identify individuals by using the control key to highlight them to be cleared or marked as having been reviewed instead of having to do it one by one.

      Jerry

    • Scott Scheibe
      Message 2 of 2 , May 27 10:15 PM
        At 02:39 PM 5/27/2009 -0500, Jerry Taylor wrote:

        >Hello Group:
        >Does anyone know why I would be getting an unusual amount of hits when I
        >"check for changes" over the past week?. There appears to be no visible
        >change on most of the records listed as being changed. My best guess is
        >New Family Search is messing with the data base which causes the change.

        I think it has been going on long than that, If I don't do it
        often I get a lot of changes about half of which I can't see any
        difference. Lately I've been using find and replace to hunt down all the
        unstandardized abbreviations, contractions, misspellings in the place names
        I've been seeing as I've been sysncing people so there's been a lot of
        changes on my end. AQ will fix standard abbreviations but does not fix Co
        or Co. or Colo. to Colorado, only CO for example. Or some knot head who
        abbreviated all the counties and some other places by removing all the
        vowel.. Or plain miss spelling of some of the harder states like
        Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, I've found several different variations of
        place names. It would really help a lot if there was an option to download
        the standardized place names or at least edit them. Otherwise you have to
        people or a family. I've been scribbling RIN numbers all over sheets of
        paper to go back and find people who have data which need to be fixed.

        >As an enhancement, it would be nice to be able to identify individuals by
        >using the control key to highlight them to be cleared or marked as having
        >been reviewed instead of having to do it one by one.

        This would be nice in the combine screen also. It would eliminate a lot of
        repetitive click and select motions. I would also like to be able to sort
        by the columns, they look like you can but nothing happens when you click
        on them.

        Scott Scheibe
        dsscheibe@...
        <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

        Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
        <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>

        Searching: (first six generation surnames of fifteen partially found)
        ALDRICH, ANTHONY, APELT, BAUM, CHURCH, FRAZIER, GARDNER, HAMMOND, HENNIG,
        HUNT, KELLY, KISSELL, LEIN, MANLEY, MC_CLOUD, MC GINNIS, MILLER, MEYER,
        MOORE, MOSLEY, MYERS, NANCE, RIECHE, SAWYER, SCHEIBE, SCHUMAKE, SHAW,
        SOUTHERN, WALLACE, WALKER, WESTBROOK, WOODWARD