Re: [AQ_NFS] reprint of ordinance cards

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
      Margaret:

      FamilySearch has told us that until a card is printed, it will send AQ a
      certain code for that name. Once the card is printed, it will send a
      different code. AQ relies on this code to determine which cards have
      been printed, and will only let you reprint cards that it believes have
      already been printed. We know that sometimes FamilySearch does not send
      that code correctly -- NFS has a bug. But there is also the possibility
      that AQ might have a bug with this -- I don't believe that this feature
      has been used a lot, so I leave open the door that AQ could be at fault,
      even though we know of a bug in NFS. In the case of your 5 cards that
      you cannot print, AQ believes that they have not been printed yet.

      Since AQ is unable to print these -- reqardless of where the bug lies --
      you might go directly to new.familysearch.org to reprint these cards.
      The master list of cards is always on NFS -- AQ simply tries to give you
      more options when working with them.

      Gaylon

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
        Actually it does as you can print FORS in AQ.

        See my previous email for my instructions, but I would be interested in hearing how to do it within the AQ application.

        Leslie Vaughn

        If you have a nFS question with which you need help call 1-866-406-1830. You will be put in touch with someone who can help 24/7 though they may not be on this continent.
        During normal week day working hours you should get someone in North America.

        Try it you will like it. :)

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
          Leslie:

          In the "Ordinance Reservation and Tracking System" of AQ (ORTS), there
          are two main options:

          1) Reserve Ordinances
          2) Manage Batches

          Use the Reserve Ordinances option to initially identify records that
          need ordinances, reserve the ordinances, then create the FORs. Each FOR
          then becomes a batch in ORTS.

          Use the Manage Batches option to review each batch later, and to keep
          your local ordinance dates and temple codes in sync with the temple
          work. As you review a batch whose cards have been printed, you will see
          an option to mark any card to be reprinted. Once you mark the cards you
          want to reprint, you create a new FOR, which can be taken to the temple
          and print the cards. (You can review a batch before you print the cards
          -- in that case, some options will be limited. You won't be able to
          reprint cards or assign the cards to friends or ward members until the
          cards have actually been printed.)

          Gaylon

          Leslie Vaughn wrote:
          > Actually it does as you can print FORS in AQ.
          >
          > See my previous email for my instructions, but I would be interested in hearing how to do it within the AQ application.
          >
          > Leslie Vaughn

        • ajgshaw
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
            I don't know if this applies to all temples but in our temple, Mt Timpanogos, the ordinance cards are scanned after the ordinance is completed (previously my recollection was that they scanned them before and after the ordinance was done). Thus you may find that some ordinances are duplicated using the original and the reprinted cards and still not know who has the card.

            Alec

            --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, "Margaret Thompson" <megann-fh@...> wrote:

            > I need some help. I made a big mistake (I gave out ordinance cards without writing down who I gave them to. I know this was a mistake but now it is beside the point). I am trying to reprint the cards which have disappeared (no one claims to have them). In the AQ ordinance reservation system it let me mark for reprint about 10 of the 15 missing cards. The others when I highlighted the name the "reprint" button was grayed out and I couldn't choose that option. What is the difference? Why would it let me reprint some and not others? What do I do to reprint the others?
            >
            > I reviewed the FORs so it checked for the most recent ordinance info and the work is still not finished.
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated. This is frustrating.
            >
            > Now when I give out cards I will keep track of who has them.
            >
            > Margaret

          • Margaret Thompson
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010

              Thank you for your help but AQ and nFS both know the cards have been printed
              because the baptism, confirmation and initiatory have been done. The only
              things that are missing are the endowment and for some the sealing to
              parents.

              If I reprint these in nFS will AQ recognize the reprint and sync the
              ordinances when the work is done?

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
                All temples now use the scanner. That is part of new family search function.

                If the ordinance was done, the reprinted card will include the completed ordinances.

                Don't worry about duplicating the work, UNLESS, you work off both cards. Once you locate the original cards and after comparing them to the new cards and making sure that everything matches, you should destroy the old cards. I did that with my "lost" cards. My reprinted cards showed all previous ordinance work done.

                I purposely select the temple to do the baptisms and earlier ordinances. I choose "me" to do the endowments and sealings. When I print my card the earlier ordinance dates are in the appropriate field. Of course this is not "reprinting" the cards, but it illustrates that previous ordinances do show on the cards.

                When you do any family file work, you should always sync your completed work on AQ with NFS to ensure that the scanner at the temple was working. Because I have so many names submitted for the temple file and have handed out cards, I use the AQ check for changes function almost daily, if not several times a day to see what work is being done when and where. It is exciting to see 10 or 15 changes a day and ordinances being done in every corner of the world. Someone may be baptized in Chile, confirmed in Rexburg, have initiatories in Stockholm and endowments and sealings done at my local temple. The sealers get a kick out of seeing all the places this person has "been".

                To check for changes, I use the filter function to show any ordinance date is "submitted" Then I check for changes on those.

                At first I had difficulties with that process because the same ones would be showing up over and over again, but now that I know that I have to use the check/repair function on AQ periodically so I only get those names where there are true changes on nfs.

                This helps me sync the information into AQ and it also tells me when it is now time for me to do the work I want in the family file.

                I cannot imagine using nfs without AQ at least for reserving temple ordinances and checking for changes.

                Leslie Vaughn

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Margaret. See my recent response to Alec about his concerns about creating duplicates when you reprint a card.

                  Bottom line is unless you use both cards, you will not be duplicating. The reprinted cards should have the previously done ordinance dates printed. The only reason they would not is if the temple scanner wasn't working when the earlier ordinance was done.

                  Leslie

                  > FamilySearch has told us that until a card is printed, it will send AQ a
                  > certain code for that name. Once the card is printed, it will send a
                  > different code. AQ relies on this code to determine which cards have
                  > been printed, and will only let you reprint cards that it believes have
                  > already been printed. We know that sometimes FamilySearch does not send
                  > that code correctly -- NFS has a bug. But there is also the possibility
                  > that AQ might have a bug with this -- I don't believe that this feature
                  > has been used a lot, so I leave open the door that AQ could be at fault,
                  > even though we know of a bug in NFS. In the case of your 5 cards that
                  > you cannot print, AQ believes that they have not been printed yet.
                  >
                  > Since AQ is unable to print these -- reqardless of where the bug lies --
                  > you might go directly to new.familysearch.org to reprint these cards.
                  > The master list of cards is always on NFS -- AQ simply tries to give you
                  > more options when working with them.
                  >
                  > Gaylon
                  >

                  > Margaret Thompson wrote:
                  >> I need some help. I made a big mistake (I gave out ordinance cards
                  >> without writing down who I gave them to. I know this was a mistake but
                  >> now it is beside the point). I am trying to reprint the cards which have
                  >> disappeared (no one claims to have them). In the AQ ordinance reservation
                  >> system it let me mark for reprint about 10 of the 15 missing cards. The
                  >> others when I highlighted the name the "reprint" button was grayed out
                  >> and I couldn't choose that option. What is the difference? Why would it
                  >> let me reprint some and not others? What do I do to reprint the others?
                  >>
                  >> I reviewed the FORs so it checked for the most recent ordinance info and
                  >> the work is still not finished.
                  >>
                  >> Any help would be appreciated. This is frustrating.
                  >>
                  >> Now when I give out cards I will keep track of who has them.
                  >>
                  >> Margaret

                • Margaret Thompson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 11, 2010
                    To all those who who offered their suggestions, thank you. Gaylon at AQ was able to fix the problem for me. Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate the efforts for the programmers at AQ. They are really on top of their software and bend over backwards to make it work for us. I told a friend about the response and she and I agreed that AQ was the best genealogy software because of the great team behind the program and the frequent updates.

                    Margaret