To the Owner of this Site. . .

  • frankreid
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2010
      Here is a problem that probably needs to be addressed soon. This site is great! And I use it often and participate here too. At the Ogden Regional FHC we try to help our patrons find good sites like this to help them with their research and using the software they have.
      The problem is this: When we try, at the FHC, to access the Yahoo Groups it is blocked from us using it. This is done by the Church Family History Library through the controls they have on the server here. And it's a good thing -- we have heard rumors that the reason this was done is because Yahoo Groups has become so trashy with pornography and other unwanted (by us) sites that the Church just blocked it all. This is from the FHC's only, you can still access it all from home.

      It's a shame, really, because there are so many good things here, also. I personally belong to 15 groups, mostly that supports genealogy software of various kinds, but also the most popular site for Family History Consultants and FHC directors is the FHCNET group. As is all the Ancestral Quest sites, and those for RootsMagic, Legacy, DEADFREDdotCOM, Family Insight and others. All blocked. What a shame.

      We probably can't get the Church officials to change their policies but we can do something else. I'm suggesting that the entire group be moved to a different host location. The easiest one that comes to mind is Google. They have Google Groups and this could be set up there quite easily. But there are others, too. Then, just leave a farewell message here and tell where we have gone to.
      Just my opinion,but I think we need to have access, from the FHCs, to these kind of resources that are still reasonably clean and therefore not blocked.

      Any Ideas?
      Frank Reid
    • Bob Penry
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2010
        Unfortunately any group can end up with obscene or pornographic material - Yahoo Groups, Facebook, You Tube, Twitter, etc. There exists an element that thinks that the use of foul language on the web is cute or macho. Of course, it is neither. Anonymity provides a license for the crass and stupid. Adolescent males are probably the worst offenders, followed by hate-mongers.

        The best way would be to have blogs on Ancestral Quest itself with a screening process where every post is reviewed prior to posting. Since the blogs would state that all messages are computer screened for objectional words and images and reviewed prior to posting, it would tend to prevent unwanted messages. Problem: Incline Software would probably have to hire a person(s) as a monitor, time to post would be dependent on the review process, and additional computer capacity, hardware and software would have to exist at the company.

        Since the field is so highly competitive, with Legacy, Roots, Family Tree Maker, Ohana Software, etc., all vying for customers, would this fix be economically feasible? Only Incline Software can answer this.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 29, 2010
          Frank:

          I am afraid that if we try to move all the members of the group from
          this 'yahoo groups' service to another service, that many would not make
          the move, and the group would lose their input. For the time being, I am
          inclined to leave things as they are. Depending on input, we may
          reconsider this if it appears to be in the best interest of the group.

          Gaylon Findlay
          Group Owner