Link to New Family Search

  • mhawkes@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 26, 2010
      I have been using the synch feature with new family search. It was working well until a couple of days ago. After clicking on the icon and logging in to new family search, AQ locks up. I have to use ctl-alt-del to close the program. After reopening the program, the same problem occurs.

      I have used the database repair and rebuild functions. The problem continues.

      Any ideas? Thanks.
    • Jerry Taylor
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2010
        I have my computer set up for two monitors. When I go to only one monitor and go to check for changes and click on the review button I get the same thing. When I go back to two monitors it works fine.
        I suspect that AQ sends the review screen to the non-existing second monitor and is waiting for me to respond to the invisible screen on the non-existing monitor. Maybe you are doing something similar.
        Jerry
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2010
          If database repair does not fix the problem, try exporting everything,
          creating a new data file (with a new name), and importing the gedcom. This
          fixes many problems that are hard to fix anuy other way.

          Bill Buchanan

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 27, 2010
            Make sure you have the latest build.

            Some of AQ's screens can be resized and repositioned, and AQ is
            designed to remember the size and position. Once in a great while, some
            users have found that the screen does not come back to where it had been
            positioned (apparently due to a bug), and can come up out of view. So AQ
            attempts, each time this type of screen comes up, to make sure that at
            least some part of the screen is visible. We found that our test in
            earlier versions didn't work the same in Vista as in earlier versions of
            Windows, so we recently adjusted this test to work also in Vista. If you
            have an older build, you are more likely to encounter this problem than
            if you have one of the latest builds (I forget whether we adjusted this
            in build 24 or 25).

            If you have the latest build and have this problem, try this:

            If AQ seems to freeze, type <Alt+Space>. If you are having the problem
            we are describing, this will bring up a Windows menu that will let you
            move the screen into view. (If AQ froze for some other reason than the
            screen being out of view, this won't help.)

            Gaylon

          • mhawkes@pacbell.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 27, 2010
              The suggestions worked. I use two monitors. The NFS screen was not visible until I used Alt-Space.

              Thanks!

              --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

              > Make sure you have the latest build.
              >
              > Some of AQ's screens can be resized and repositioned, and AQ is
              > designed to remember the size and position. Once in a great while, some
              > users have found that the screen does not come back to where it had been
              > positioned (apparently due to a bug), and can come up out of view. So AQ
              > attempts, each time this type of screen comes up, to make sure that at
              > least some part of the screen is visible. We found that our test in
              > earlier versions didn't work the same in Vista as in earlier versions of
              > Windows, so we recently adjusted this test to work also in Vista. If you
              > have an older build, you are more likely to encounter this problem than
              > if you have one of the latest builds (I forget whether we adjusted this
              > in build 24 or 25).
              >
              > If you have the latest build and have this problem, try this:
              >
              > If AQ seems to freeze, type <Alt+Space>. If you are having the problem
              > we are describing, this will bring up a Windows menu that will let you
              > move the screen into view. (If AQ froze for some other reason than the
              > screen being out of view, this won't help.)
              >
              > Gaylon
              >

              > Jerry Taylor wrote:
              > > I have my computer set up for two monitors. When I go to only one monitor and go to check for changes and click on the review button I get the same thing. When I go back to two monitors it works fine.
              > > I suspect that AQ sends the review screen to the non-existing second monitor and is waiting for me to respond to the invisible screen on the non-existing monitor. Maybe you are doing something similar.
              > > Jerry

            • Ken Doyle
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30, 2010
                Dear Gaylon,

                Thank you for that. As you know I use 5 monitors.

                I am synchronising 2 or 3 databases at a time in groups of 25 people.

                While one is searching I am linking on another screen another database.

                Problem I was having was the Sychronise screen was coming up on the same screen all the time. You have just solved that for me. When I moved the screen I lost the buttons "Mark as Same", "Mark as Different" etc etc.

                You have just solved that for me.

                THANK YOU.

                Cheers,

                Ken