link sync screen select text

  • Ken Doyle
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2010
      When syncing I often want to compare nFS material and my material against the bayanne site in Shetland. Especially the nFS material. I don't know Shetland enough to know if some things being presented are correct or not.

      After doing this a few times I thought it would be good if you could select and copy text (to clipboard) while in the link (sync) screen and paste into the bayanne site search engine.

      This is really only a problem when using a single notebook monitor. Just I can never seem to remember spellings. Especially as their spelling have often a norse influence and are not English.

      If I am on a computer with multiple monitors it is less of a problem.

      I wonder if AQ can be altered so you can select text.

      NOTE: I don't want it ability to work the Dragon Naturally Speaking to be dimensioned. So if the change would stop that I would rather Dragon still works.
    • Jerry Barrett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 18, 2010
        Ken,

        My screen print utility can capture text or images. It is able to correctly
        fetch text from the sync screen. Here is an example of text so fetched:

        Record in FamilySearch Family Tree database
        Jacob Siler
        Jacob "Jake" Siler
        Cripple Jake
        K4G7-G3Q (Other IDs: 3)

        12 Jun 1843, Whitley Co., Ky.
        12 Jun 1843, , , Whitley, Ky

        [Data Not Provided]

        11 Sep 1850, , Whitley, Kentucky. 9
        31 Aug 1860, Cumberland River, Whitley, Kentucky. 17, farmer
        1 Jun 1880, Boston, Whitley, Kentucky. 36, farmer
        6 Jun 1900, , Claiborne, Tennessee. 60, farmer

        22 Mar 1956, Salt Lake Utah
        22 Mar 1956, Salt Lake Utah
        19 Sep 1956, Salt Lake Utah [See 'Parents/Siblings' for details]
        Ready [See 'Spouses/Children' for details]

        View FamilySearch Notes

        Perhaps you have a utility already on your computer to accomplish your task.
        The screen print tool I use is SnagIt. It allows me to select all or part of a
        screen to capture. Im sure there are others which allow you to caputre text.

        Jerry Barrett
        Taylorsville, Utah

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 19, 2010
          There is a much better tool available in the Windows Operating System than Print Screen. It is the Snipping Tool. It is much like SnagIt, but it is free. It is only available on Vista Home Premium and Windows 7. If you qualify, then go to this website to learn how to load it from the Control Panel and use it: Great little utility. I use it all the time when I am doing research for entry into AQ.

          http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/microsoft/ht/snippingtool.htm