Re: [AQ_NFS] Fields returned on Upload Individual

  • George Wright
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2010
      Personally, I am satisfied with the existing format on the match screen.
      However, I accept (but do not like) the delays I encounter whenever I have to
      wait for downloads from NFS.   Although the additional information might be
      useful, I would not personally consider it to be worth the wait every time I
      performed a match.

      I do not consider this tradeoff to be worth the waits.

      George

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2010
        I agree the wait time might not be worth it for records since 1500. But for Medieval Records it would be extremely valuable and worth the wait. There would have to be a line in program code that only pulls the ordinance data if the DOB is prior to 1500. This should satisfy most users. I wouldn't worry about the seal to spouse capture. Medieval records that have BCEIP have been combined and will almost always include the seal to spouse. If not, then further checking on non-BCEIP records is warranted.

        Bob Penry wrote:
        > Thanks. You are absolutely correct - two needed enhancements.
        >
        > I want to see the BCIEPS on each line, not after opening. This way, I can
        >choose which one I desire to open. With say 75 lines, I really don't want to
        >open all of them. This is where the BCIEPS on the first screen would really,
        >really be helpful. I am more concerned with making sure my ancestors have their
        >temple work done then in the minutia of their lives. In most cases, the
        >information contained in the detail is so variable as to make it totally
        >unreliable. Most individuals have at least a dozen birthdates and birthplaces
        >listed. Medieval Research is usually based on data gleaned from books and is
        >often the result of wild guesswork.

      • Ken Doyle
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2010
          Dear Bob,

          "it would discourage doing combos"

          Often I see what I call "muddied IDs". Many IDs making up one ID that has been
          combined. It is very hard to decipher what comes from the 30 "muddied" IDs.

          Often I see that some of the combinations should never have happened. It becomes
          a nightmare trying to uncombine and challenge. Also trying to upload 65,000
          names approximately. Only uploaded over 6,000 names. It takes time to check
          these all.

          Often wondered if the combo should only be local on your own computer. But nFS
          show others that people are combining to.

          Like when you go to Microsoft and download a program or fix and they say others
          are downloading this file too.

          The real big worry about this is that it is hard to decipher if you ancestor had
          their temple work done or if one of the combined "muddied" IDs had there work
          done.

          You know if we think our ancestor had their work done but it was really the
          other bloke (muddied IDs) then we have failed.

          That is my biggest concern that "muddied IDs" may cause us to inadvertantly fail
          to have our ancestors work done. As more combinations are done then it will
          become nearly impossible to UNGLUE the muddied IDS.

          Even if we do UNGLUE the muddied IDS some people may still fall through the
          cracks. Say our ancestor was done but the other bloke (muddied ID) was not done.
          If we manage to UNGLUE then the descendent of the other person may think they
          have an ancestor done. Their local record on their computer may never change. So
          that person falls through the cracks.

          "it would discourage doing combos" I wonder if combos in their present form are
          good or a future nightmare.

          Cheers,

          Ken Doyle

          Phone: 02 63 61 8865