Fields returned on Upload Individual

  • bob.penry
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2010
      I have ancestors that were European royalty. I have thousands of of these names in my AQ database. An upload search often returns many possible duplicates per individual with over 90% having temple work completed. Attempts to combine duplicates in either AQ or NFS usually fail because the combo limit has been reached. This means that some of these individuals were gleaned from Ancestral File and IGI with several hundred hits. This makes searching down the long list of possibilities trying to find the individual record(s)with temple work completed, time consuming.

      I would like to see a field added to the possible duplicate screen that returns the ordinance indicators from each record. Seeing BEPS displayed in a field would really be a great help in this work. I am sure I can't be the only one experiencing this frustration.

      I know the counter-argument would be that it would discourage doing combos. Perhaps a line could be put in the program code that only returns the Temple Data for dates before 1500.

      It would also be nice to be able to directly enter the Marriage Sealing date and Sealing to Parents date directly into the individual's record while the upload screens are still open. Having to open the show parents or spouse tabs can be counter-productive. What I have now is a little Notepad@ window where I type in these dates/temples and then type then into the record after I have saved and closed the Synch record.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2010
        Bob:

        I see two primary enhancement requests here:

        1) Add BCIEPS to the summary line of the match screen.
        2) Handle Marriage and Parent sealings on the individual review screen.

        We are working on something that take care of #2 for you.

        On item 1, did I misunderstand? Do you want the BCIEPS on the summary
        line, or in the data once you click on the possible match to see the
        details? If it is on the latter, there is a preference option that
        already gives you essentially this information. In Preferences, under
        the FamilySearch tab, you can ask to view LDS Ordinances on the Match
        screen.

        Gaylon

        bob.penry wrote:
        > I have ancestors that were European royalty. I have thousands of of these names in my AQ database. An upload search often returns many possible duplicates per individual with over 90% having temple work completed. Attempts to combine duplicates in either AQ or NFS usually fail because the combo limit has been reached. This means that some of these individuals were gleaned from Ancestral File and IGI with several hundred hits. This makes searching down the long list of possibilities trying to find the individual record(s)with temple work completed, time consuming.
        >
        > I would like to see a field added to the possible duplicate screen that returns the ordinance indicators from each record. Seeing BEPS displayed in a field would really be a great help in this work. I am sure I can't be the only one experiencing this frustration.
        >
        > I know the counter-argument would be that it would discourage doing combos. Perhaps a line could be put in the program code that only returns the Temple Data for dates before 1500.
        >
        > It would also be nice to be able to directly enter the Marriage Sealing date and Sealing to Parents date directly into the individual's record while the upload screens are still open. Having to open the show parents or spouse tabs can be counter-productive. What I have now is a little Notepad@ window where I type in these dates/temples and then type then into the record after I have saved and closed the Synch record.

      • Bob Penry
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2010
          Thanks. You are absolutely correct - two needed enhancements.

          I want to see the BCIEPS on each line, not after opening. This way, I can choose which one I desire to open. With say 75 lines, I really don't want to open all of them. This is where the BCIEPS on the first screen would really, really be helpful. I am more concerned with making sure my ancestors have their temple work done then in the minutia of their lives. In most cases, the information contained in the detail is so variable as to make it totally unreliable. Most individuals have at least a dozen birthdates and birthplaces listed. Medieval Research is usually based on data gleaned from books and is often the result of wild guesswork.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 16, 2010
            Bob:

            On the BCIEPS of the Match screen, here is the tradeoff:

            The current display allows AQ to ask NFS for summary data -- a fairly
            quick read over the Internet. Compiling the ordinances has two parts --
            we can ask for the basics, which would make the above summary read take
            just a little longer for the BCIEP (and a lot longer to include the Seal
            to Spouse), but this would miss any "in process" type of indicators. To
            get a thorough read of the ordinances, AQ would have to ask NFS for the
            Ordinance Reservation information. This can much more than double the
            amount of time it takes NFS to respond, and for AQ to show this screen.
            Would you want a complete analysis of the BCIEPS if it meant that the
            Match screen would load much more slowly, everytime you wanted to match
            someone? I'd like to know what some other users think of this tradeoff.

            Gaylon

            Bob Penry wrote:
            > Thanks. You are absolutely correct - two needed enhancements.
            >
            > I want to see the BCIEPS on each line, not after opening. This way, I can choose which one I desire to open. With say 75 lines, I really don't want to open all of them. This is where the BCIEPS on the first screen would really, really be helpful. I am more concerned with making sure my ancestors have their temple work done then in the minutia of their lives. In most cases, the information contained in the detail is so variable as to make it totally unreliable. Most individuals have at least a dozen birthdates and birthplaces listed. Medieval Research is usually based on data gleaned from books and is often the result of wild guesswork.

          • George Wright
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 16, 2010
              Personally, I am satisfied with the existing format on the match screen.
              However, I accept (but do not like) the delays I encounter whenever I have to
              wait for downloads from NFS.   Although the additional information might be
              useful, I would not personally consider it to be worth the wait every time I
              performed a match.

              I do not consider this tradeoff to be worth the waits.

              George

              ________________________________

                Bob Penry wrote:
                > Thanks. You are absolutely correct - two needed enhancements.
                >
                > I want to see the BCIEPS on each line, not after opening. This way, I can
                >choose which one I desire to open. With say 75 lines, I really don't want to
                >open all of them. This is where the BCIEPS on the first screen would really,
                >really be helpful. I am more concerned with making sure my ancestors have their
                >temple work done then in the minutia of their lives. In most cases, the
                >information contained in the detail is so variable as to make it totally
                >unreliable. Most individuals have at least a dozen birthdates and birthplaces
                >listed. Medieval Research is usually based on data gleaned from books and is
                >often the result of wild guesswork.

              • Ken Doyle
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 16, 2010
                  Dear Bob,

                  "it would discourage doing combos"

                  Often I see what I call "muddied IDs". Many IDs making up one ID that has been
                  combined. It is very hard to decipher what comes from the 30 "muddied" IDs.

                  Often I see that some of the combinations should never have happened. It becomes
                  a nightmare trying to uncombine and challenge. Also trying to upload 65,000
                  names approximately. Only uploaded over 6,000 names. It takes time to check
                  these all.

                  Often wondered if the combo should only be local on your own computer. But nFS
                  show others that people are combining to.

                  Like when you go to Microsoft and download a program or fix and they say others
                  are downloading this file too.

                  The real big worry about this is that it is hard to decipher if you ancestor had
                  their temple work done or if one of the combined "muddied" IDs had there work
                  done.

                  You know if we think our ancestor had their work done but it was really the
                  other bloke (muddied IDs) then we have failed.

                  That is my biggest concern that "muddied IDs" may cause us to inadvertantly fail
                  to have our ancestors work done. As more combinations are done then it will
                  become nearly impossible to UNGLUE the muddied IDS.

                  Even if we do UNGLUE the muddied IDS some people may still fall through the
                  cracks. Say our ancestor was done but the other bloke (muddied ID) was not done.
                  If we manage to UNGLUE then the descendent of the other person may think they
                  have an ancestor done. Their local record on their computer may never change. So
                  that person falls through the cracks.

                  "it would discourage doing combos" I wonder if combos in their present form are
                  good or a future nightmare.

                  Cheers,

                  Ken Doyle

                  Phone: 02 63 61 8865