Re: [AQ_NFS] Open more than one instance of AQ

  • Ken Doyle
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
      Gunilla,

      Do as Gaylon suggests with saving a copy of your database. Having multiple monitors will assist you heaps in this process.

      Cheers,

      Ken Doyle

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2010
        New FamilySearch now has a discussion page available to each person.
        Will some future version of Ancestral Quest be able to link and
        synchronize data with these discussion pages, and when do you expect
        to be able to implement it.

        Thanks,

        Tom
      • Terry Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2010
          Dear Tom...

          When logging on check out the "Whats new" and it will tell you that
          this is already implemented. WHen two persons are sync'd OR if they
          are unlinked, the discussion remains with the individual and will go
          with the merge. And if seperated will remain with the person or
          surname to which it was originally attached in the begining.

          What I would like to see NOTIFICATION. In my case, I have over
          300,000 names in my database and many surnames. Keeping track of
          discusions becomes a monsterous task without being notified that there
          is a reply to your inquiry. During the beta test, they did not
          respond to my request. So it seems kinda useless to me. If you only
          have a few surnames or discussions in your database, than it is not an
          issue... Terry

          On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 16:30:20 -0600, you wrote:

          >New FamilySearch now has a discussion page available to each person.
          >Will some future version of Ancestral Quest be able to link and
          >synchronize data with these discussion pages, and when do you expect
          >to be able to implement it.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Tom
        • Tom Huber
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2010
            On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 16:53:59 -0700, you wrote:

            >When logging on check out the "Whats new" and it will tell you that
            >this is already implemented. WHen two persons are sync'd OR if they
            >are unlinked, the discussion remains with the individual and will go
            >with the merge. And if seperated will remain with the person or
            >surname to which it was originally attached in the begining.
            >
            >What I would like to see NOTIFICATION. In my case, I have over
            >300,000 names in my database and many surnames. Keeping track of
            >discusions becomes a monsterous task without being notified that there
            >is a reply to your inquiry. During the beta test, they did not
            >respond to my request. So it seems kinda useless to me. If you only
            >have a few surnames or discussions in your database, than it is not an
            >issue... Terry

            A number of us have sent in enhancement requests on this subject in
            nFS via Feedback. Not only would it be nice to be notified, but also
            be able to see which persons have an active discussion in the Family
            Tree view.

            My question is with regard to Ancestral Quest and what the interface
            will be with it for the discussions, or if there will even be one.

            To add to what you've said, if AQ could detect any addition to an
            existing discussion, that would help in your situation, especially if
            we could generate a report of those people in our tree who have a
            discussion and when it was last updated/entered.

            >>New FamilySearch now has a discussion page available to each person.
            >>Will some future version of Ancestral Quest be able to link and
            >>synchronize data with these discussion pages, and when do you expect
            >>to be able to implement it.
            >>
            >>Thanks,
            >>
            >>Tom
          • Terry Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2010
              Dear Tom...

              I believe that as nFS releases new updtes with improved tools, that
              Gaylon will add them to AQ. It does seem to me that it largely
              depends on the acceptance of the process by the general users group
              however. In most cases he enhances what AQ can do over that which nFS
              is doing. This QUALITY coding takes time, money, and patience. I
              would continue to hammer nFS for the types of services that you would
              like to see. Ultimately if they have the API written then Gaylon will
              have an easier time implementing it within AQ.

              I will note that they [nFS] did not tell us during the Beta that they
              would reply to all messages. So true to their word they did not. Now
              that the Beta is over however, I would use the feed back. They are
              getting worse and worse about responding either by email or by phone.
              And I would complain about that too. And sometimes the helpers that
              reply do not know anymore than we do!!! Be a squeeky wheel.

              ---- Terry