Re: [AQ_NFS] Open more than one instance of AQ

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2010
      Gunilla:

      If this situation happens a lot for you, you might consider making a
      copy of your data (same data, different filename), so you could open up
      the copy when you need to verify such information.

      Gaylon

      Gunilla Manell wrote:
      > I SO wish that I could open the SAME data base in a second window of AQ. It
      > won't let me. (You CAN open ANOTHER data base in a second window)
      >

      > In this situation I have several names on the reserve screen and I am in
      > process of group syncing 3 of them. So the first one shows in a sync screen,
      > and I get the name plus a wife. -- (No personal data for him to compare).
      > I need to go back to my data base and check and see if I have information
      > about a wife. I am going to have to close 4 windows that are open, in order
      > to see his info concerning possible wife. And then I have to start over
      > again with the group sync. ARRRRGH!
      >

      > /Gunilla

      > Gunilla Manell
      > 1488 NW 2 AVE
      > ONTARIO OR 97914
      > Phone# 541-889-9076
      > e-mail: <mailto:gmanell@...> gmanell@...
      > HOME PAGE URL:
      > <http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/> http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/
      > FAMILY TREE HOME PAGE URL:
      > <http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/genhome.html>
      > http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/genhome.html

    • Ken Doyle
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
        Gunilla,

        Do as Gaylon suggests with saving a copy of your database. Having multiple monitors will assist you heaps in this process.

        Cheers,

        Ken Doyle

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2010
          New FamilySearch now has a discussion page available to each person.
          Will some future version of Ancestral Quest be able to link and
          synchronize data with these discussion pages, and when do you expect
          to be able to implement it.

          Thanks,

          Tom
        • Terry Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2010
            Dear Tom...

            When logging on check out the "Whats new" and it will tell you that
            this is already implemented. WHen two persons are sync'd OR if they
            are unlinked, the discussion remains with the individual and will go
            with the merge. And if seperated will remain with the person or
            surname to which it was originally attached in the begining.

            What I would like to see NOTIFICATION. In my case, I have over
            300,000 names in my database and many surnames. Keeping track of
            discusions becomes a monsterous task without being notified that there
            is a reply to your inquiry. During the beta test, they did not
            respond to my request. So it seems kinda useless to me. If you only
            have a few surnames or discussions in your database, than it is not an
            issue... Terry

            On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 16:30:20 -0600, you wrote:

            >New FamilySearch now has a discussion page available to each person.
            >Will some future version of Ancestral Quest be able to link and
            >synchronize data with these discussion pages, and when do you expect
            >to be able to implement it.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Tom
          • Tom Huber
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2010
              On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 16:53:59 -0700, you wrote:

              >When logging on check out the "Whats new" and it will tell you that
              >this is already implemented. WHen two persons are sync'd OR if they
              >are unlinked, the discussion remains with the individual and will go
              >with the merge. And if seperated will remain with the person or
              >surname to which it was originally attached in the begining.
              >
              >What I would like to see NOTIFICATION. In my case, I have over
              >300,000 names in my database and many surnames. Keeping track of
              >discusions becomes a monsterous task without being notified that there
              >is a reply to your inquiry. During the beta test, they did not
              >respond to my request. So it seems kinda useless to me. If you only
              >have a few surnames or discussions in your database, than it is not an
              >issue... Terry

              A number of us have sent in enhancement requests on this subject in
              nFS via Feedback. Not only would it be nice to be notified, but also
              be able to see which persons have an active discussion in the Family
              Tree view.

              My question is with regard to Ancestral Quest and what the interface
              will be with it for the discussions, or if there will even be one.

              To add to what you've said, if AQ could detect any addition to an
              existing discussion, that would help in your situation, especially if
              we could generate a report of those people in our tree who have a
              discussion and when it was last updated/entered.

              >>New FamilySearch now has a discussion page available to each person.
              >>Will some future version of Ancestral Quest be able to link and
              >>synchronize data with these discussion pages, and when do you expect
              >>to be able to implement it.
              >>
              >>Thanks,
              >>
              >>Tom
            • Terry Smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 4, 2010
                Dear Tom...

                I believe that as nFS releases new updtes with improved tools, that
                Gaylon will add them to AQ. It does seem to me that it largely
                depends on the acceptance of the process by the general users group
                however. In most cases he enhances what AQ can do over that which nFS
                is doing. This QUALITY coding takes time, money, and patience. I
                would continue to hammer nFS for the types of services that you would
                like to see. Ultimately if they have the API written then Gaylon will
                have an easier time implementing it within AQ.

                I will note that they [nFS] did not tell us during the Beta that they
                would reply to all messages. So true to their word they did not. Now
                that the Beta is over however, I would use the feed back. They are
                getting worse and worse about responding either by email or by phone.
                And I would complain about that too. And sometimes the helpers that
                reply do not know anymore than we do!!! Be a squeeky wheel.

                ---- Terry