Re: RE: [AQ_NFS] AQ Reserve Ordinance Window occasional problem with Standard Place Names

  • Tom Huber
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 13, 2010
      On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 03:06:07 +0100, you wrote:

      >Thanks Tom - but in this case both the "entered" and "standard" (assigned by
      >nFS) have each only 4 divisions.

      The other thing that I've noticed is that if the summary in nFS does
      not show a place, then the AQ Reserve Ordinance Window is also missing
      the place. I have to go into nFS manually and select the place for it
      to show. I don't know if Gaylon can do anything for the AQ Reserve
      Ordinance Window to use the place we have in our AQ/PAF file or if it
      will always default to the Summary View in nFS.

      You may want to play around with the Summary view to see if it makes
      any difference in the AQ Reserve Ordinance Window.

      Tom
    • Stewart Millar
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 15, 2010
        I continue to have a queasy feeling about the missing "standard" place name
        in the Reserve Ordinance window (ROW).

        As these missing place names do not reflect the situation in nFS - they
        therefore must indicate a problem in AQ.

        In further experiments I was able to alter an entry in the ROW which
        initially was displaying a standard place name - but it was an incorrect
        choice of standard place name - for an "entered" place name of "Cork,
        Ireland" it was displaying "Corcaigh, Ireland" i.e., using the Irish Gaelic
        name for "Cork" ------ so from the ROW I went into nFS and changed the
        standard name to the valid alternative standard place name of "Cork,
        Ireland" ---- on returning to the ROW, the previously displayed standard
        name disappeared with no replacement.

        An explanation scenario might be ----- this record was synched to nFS using
        AQ --- in doing so, AQ must have found and assigned the initial "standard"
        place name. It now seems to me that any time the "standard" name that was
        initially assigned via AQ is changed, the ROW becomes unable to find and
        display the existing "standard" place name from nFS.

        Any comment from Gaylon or the techies?

        === Stewart

      • emregister
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 6, 2010
          Yesterday a patron came to the FHC. She had two 3.5 inch floppy disks with
          data from the 1980s. Fortunately she had a USB stick with her. To transfer
          the data to the USB stick was straight forward. The patron intended to use
          PAF but the data format was filename.dat and PAF did not recognize it. So..
          AQ to the rescue. AQ recognized the data instantly and configured it to AQ
          data. Then we asked AQ to configure the data for PAF. All was well and
          took very little time. She left a very happy patron. Thanks AQ.

        • emregister
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 6, 2010
            On a regular bases I 'review' all batch files. There is a column
            'completed' which will contain some 'X's. I would expect that all
            ordinances that have been reserved have been completed if there is an X in
            the completed column. However, many times the X is there but the ordinances
            are not yet completed. Any ideas/comments?

          • Donald R. Snow
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 6, 2010
              Many people aren't aware that all the earlier version of PAF are on
              the PAF CD that you get from the Distribution Centers and they are made
              so that they install in Windows. Using that any PAF database from an
              earlier version can be opened in the appropriate PAF version and then
              you can make a GEDCOM and import it into any newer genealogy program
              that takes GEDCOM's. I haven't used AQ to upgrade from an older PAF
              version, but I lost lots of links when I did the automatic upgrade in
              PAF 4 and 5, so I don't recommend the automatic upgrade, but I use the
              GEDCOM route.

              Don

              Dr. Donald R. Snow, Retired Professor of Mathematics, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah - snowd@...

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 7, 2010
                From what I have seen with my data, when all ordinances that were cleared
                and printed on a card had been completed, the X would show the all
                ordinances on the card were done.

                If you haven't cleared seal to parents yet, then you still need to perform
                that from a different card. Sealing to spouse is done from a different card
                also.

                I have not yet seen what you apparently have experienced. Just a thought,
                did you update all, to transfer the dates to your database after ordinances
                were performed?

                /Gunilla

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 7, 2010
                  This occurs with records that were reserved for the temple. If all
                  ordinances were not reserved this does not appear to affect the 'X'. It
                  does not appear to be related to 'updating'.

                  Eric

                  From what I have seen with my data, when all ordinances that were cleared