RE: [AQ_NFS] AQ Reserve Ordinance Window occasional problem with Standard Place Names

  • Stewart Millar
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 13, 2010
      Thanks Tom - but in this case both the "entered" and "standard" (assigned by
      nFS) have each only 4 divisions.

      === Stewart

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 13, 2010
        I am not sure it what I have seen is the same thing or not, but when I add a
        person to the Reserve ordinances screen, before he or she has been linked,
        the place name shows. As soon as the link is complete, in most cases, the
        place name disappears.

        I have been wondering about this also, but it has been doing it ever since I
        started using AQ to reserve names. I have been doing it since a year ago,
        when my temple district finally got access to nFS.

        However in most cases, the cards print out OK including place names. And I
        say MOST, because sometimes it links up with a name that is not the
        preferred name, it even ignores the date I have uploaded and submitted, and
        the name may have become abbreviated instead of the spelled out name that I
        have uploaded. I sure wish the cards would print out with the complete
        information that I have submitted.

        /Gunilla

        Something strange with the AQ Reserve Ordinance Window.

        I note that when a candidate is added to the list it brings across the
        "Qualifying" events with the associated date and place --- with the place
        being the "standardised" place name.

        I have several occurrences when for a selected individual on the list, the
        qualifying event is "Birth" and it correctly displays the birth date but has
        the place name left blank. For these individuals, there is actually a
        standardised place name present. Why is it not being brought across?

        Let me give you an example from nFS:

        Name: Maria Ward

        nFS PID: L7BG-5QQ

        This example is from a ward member I am assisting as a fh consultant.

        In the "Details" window you will note the "entered" place name is "St
        Saviour, Southwark, Surrey, England" --- hovering the cursor over the
        entered place name will display the "standardised" place name as "Southwark,
        Surrey, England, United Kingdom" (or alternatively using the edit button to
        display the details, but of course will tell you cannot edit this entry).

        On the majority of my entries in the Reserve Ordinance window (about 60%) it
        is getting it right with the standardised place name being brought across -
        but for the remaining 40% of entries, despite their being a standardised
        place name present, it has the place name blank in this Reserve Ordinance
        window.

        Any suggestions?

        And --- will it give me a problem further down the line, in that the minimum
        requirement for submissions is a name, date and place and here the proposed
        submission is showing without a place.

        === Stewart

      • Tom Huber
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 13, 2010
          On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 03:06:07 +0100, you wrote:

          >Thanks Tom - but in this case both the "entered" and "standard" (assigned by
          >nFS) have each only 4 divisions.

          The other thing that I've noticed is that if the summary in nFS does
          not show a place, then the AQ Reserve Ordinance Window is also missing
          the place. I have to go into nFS manually and select the place for it
          to show. I don't know if Gaylon can do anything for the AQ Reserve
          Ordinance Window to use the place we have in our AQ/PAF file or if it
          will always default to the Summary View in nFS.

          You may want to play around with the Summary view to see if it makes
          any difference in the AQ Reserve Ordinance Window.

          Tom
        • Stewart Millar
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 15, 2010
            I continue to have a queasy feeling about the missing "standard" place name
            in the Reserve Ordinance window (ROW).

            As these missing place names do not reflect the situation in nFS - they
            therefore must indicate a problem in AQ.

            In further experiments I was able to alter an entry in the ROW which
            initially was displaying a standard place name - but it was an incorrect
            choice of standard place name - for an "entered" place name of "Cork,
            Ireland" it was displaying "Corcaigh, Ireland" i.e., using the Irish Gaelic
            name for "Cork" ------ so from the ROW I went into nFS and changed the
            standard name to the valid alternative standard place name of "Cork,
            Ireland" ---- on returning to the ROW, the previously displayed standard
            name disappeared with no replacement.

            An explanation scenario might be ----- this record was synched to nFS using
            AQ --- in doing so, AQ must have found and assigned the initial "standard"
            place name. It now seems to me that any time the "standard" name that was
            initially assigned via AQ is changed, the ROW becomes unable to find and
            display the existing "standard" place name from nFS.

            Any comment from Gaylon or the techies?

            === Stewart

          • emregister
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 6, 2010
              Yesterday a patron came to the FHC. She had two 3.5 inch floppy disks with
              data from the 1980s. Fortunately she had a USB stick with her. To transfer
              the data to the USB stick was straight forward. The patron intended to use
              PAF but the data format was filename.dat and PAF did not recognize it. So..
              AQ to the rescue. AQ recognized the data instantly and configured it to AQ
              data. Then we asked AQ to configure the data for PAF. All was well and
              took very little time. She left a very happy patron. Thanks AQ.

            • emregister
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 6, 2010
                On a regular bases I 'review' all batch files. There is a column
                'completed' which will contain some 'X's. I would expect that all
                ordinances that have been reserved have been completed if there is an X in
                the completed column. However, many times the X is there but the ordinances
                are not yet completed. Any ideas/comments?

              • Donald R. Snow
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 6, 2010
                  Many people aren't aware that all the earlier version of PAF are on
                  the PAF CD that you get from the Distribution Centers and they are made
                  so that they install in Windows. Using that any PAF database from an
                  earlier version can be opened in the appropriate PAF version and then
                  you can make a GEDCOM and import it into any newer genealogy program
                  that takes GEDCOM's. I haven't used AQ to upgrade from an older PAF
                  version, but I lost lots of links when I did the automatic upgrade in
                  PAF 4 and 5, so I don't recommend the automatic upgrade, but I use the
                  GEDCOM route.

                  Don

                  Dr. Donald R. Snow, Retired Professor of Mathematics, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah - snowd@...

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 7, 2010
                    From what I have seen with my data, when all ordinances that were cleared
                    and printed on a card had been completed, the X would show the all
                    ordinances on the card were done.

                    If you haven't cleared seal to parents yet, then you still need to perform
                    that from a different card. Sealing to spouse is done from a different card
                    also.

                    I have not yet seen what you apparently have experienced. Just a thought,
                    did you update all, to transfer the dates to your database after ordinances
                    were performed?

                    /Gunilla

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 7, 2010
                      This occurs with records that were reserved for the temple. If all
                      ordinances were not reserved this does not appear to affect the 'X'. It
                      does not appear to be related to 'updating'.

                      Eric

                      From what I have seen with my data, when all ordinances that were cleared