Bug Hunter Award

  • Susan Roylance
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2010
      And -- what is the Bug Hunter award for?
      --
      Susan Roylance
      1693 Peaceful View Way

    • Alan Whitcomb
      Message 2 of 5 , May 22, 2010
        If you find a bug there might be an award.

        What is a bug? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug

        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2010
          The award didn't come with a solid description, but representatives of
          FamilySearch have thanked me over the last couple of years for finding
          several bugs in the API that allows affiliate programs like AQ to
          communicate with FamilySearch. This award was a public recognition of
          the help I have provided to FamilySearch and the affiliates by
          identifying problems, which allows FamilySearch to make their API better
          for all affiliates, and for users of all affiliate products, including
          users of competing products.

          I have heard a few FamilySearch representatives mention to me --
          possibly in jest -- that they don't feel like a portion of the API is
          thoroughly tested until after they know I have worked with it, because I
          am likely to find any problems that no one else seems to find.

          If I were to try to extrapolate what this means for users of Ancestral
          Quest, I'd say that I am more detail oriented than other developers
          using the API, am more concerned about getting the data exactly right,
          (which is why I find more bugs) and as a result, AQ would reflect more
          accuracy in the way it handles data. This should mean that users of AQ
          can feel confident that their family history data is being handled with
          care and concern.

          Gaylon Findlay

          (And yes, my "bug hunting" eyes caught that the article which announced
          the awards mispelled my name :-) )

          Susan Roylance wrote:
          > And -- what is the Bug Hunter award for?

        • Stewart Millar
          Message 4 of 5 , May 24, 2010
            Using the "Reserve Ordinance" screen - when all data for an individual has
            been reviewed, updated and synced - if, due to other temple submissions, the
            death date has the phrase "Data not provided" and there is actually a
            recorded Burial date, the Life span column in the "Reserve Ordinance" screen
            does not use the Burial date, but supplies "????" as the death (end of life)
            date.

            I have spent a little time looking for any occurrences where the phrase
            "Data not provided" is not present and there is a Burial date - to see if
            the Burial date is used in the Life Span column - but cannot as yet find any
            examples.

            Not a problem that will cause any incorrect processing - but one that fails
            to convey the very useful intended information.

            Anyone else notice this - and if it is as described above, can it be fixed?

            === Stewart

            PS - The ORTS video is excellent.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 24, 2010
              A couple of weeks ago, I entered a child in AQ. I had only christening and
              burial dates. The child died when he was 8-9 months old, but the system did
              not recognize that he died as an infant. I had to enter a death year before
              it was recognized that he died before the age of 8.

              I don't remember if I ever got the message that "Data not provided".

              I sure wish that a burial date would work as well as a death date, but maybe
              that is something for nFS to work on, not AQ?

              /Gunilla