Re: [AQ_NFS] Screwed up - deleted a child in new FamilySearch (Gaylon?)

    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2010
      Gunilla:

      A couple of thoughts.

      1) I have heard that NFS requires a person, who died before 8 and
      therefore should not need to be baptized or endowed, to enter a special
      fact of "Died before 8". Perhaps I am mistaken, as I just checked the
      list of facts you can add through NFS, and it doesn't list this one. Yet
      I have seen a fact with a title like that on some of my records.

      2) If you add someone to NFS, and think something is wrong, AQ will let
      you delete the person. Just go into the "Review/Sync Individual" screen
      and use the Delete button. If you delete information through the NFS
      screens, it places them into a mode where they are not really deleted,
      but double-disputed. If you delete the information through AQ, then the
      information is truly deleted. The API that NFS provides to third parties
      actually deletes information, whereas the non-API code used by NFS does not.

      3) I think that this is why the information came up eventually as all
      disputed -- you had "deleted" the information via NFS rather than via
      AQ. You might try deleting this person via AQ to completely remove
      him/her, then re-add the person.

      4) AQ should be able to delete disputes. I seem to remember a bug in the
      NFS API that was introduced in the February/March release that may
      interfere -- I'm not sure. You might have to delete the entire event to
      get rid of the dispute, then re-add it. This worked in AQ prior to the
      new API, and off the top of my head, I'm not sure of which new NFS bugs
      we couldn't find work-arounds for :-)

      5) Just a tid-bit of information that is somewhat related -- I have
      talked with a few users who have tried to delete notes in NFS via the
      NFS screens, and they tell me that there is no way to do that. You can
      delete notes from NFS using AQ. So if you find that you are the
      contributor of such wonderful notes as, "Gender generated through GEDCOM
      import.", and want to clear these out of NFS, you can use AQ to do it.

      Gaylon

      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2010

        I’ll insert my comments between yours below…

        1) I have heard that NFS requires a person, who died before 8 and
        therefore should not need to be baptized or endowed, to enter a special
        fact of "Died before 8". Perhaps I am mistaken, as I just checked the
        list of facts you can add through NFS, and it doesn't list this one. Yet
        I have seen a fact with a title like that on some of my records.

        Apparently this means you have to have a DEATH date. Once I stuck a year in
        there, it recognized that the child died before age 8. Just the burial date
        was not enough.

        2) If you add someone to NFS, and think something is wrong, AQ will let
        you delete the person. Just go into the "Review/Sync Individual" screen
        and use the Delete button. If you delete information through the NFS
        screens, it places them into a mode where they are not really deleted,
        but double-disputed. If you delete the information through AQ, then the
        information is truly deleted. The API that NFS provides to third parties
        actually deletes information, whereas the non-API code used by NFS does not.

        At this point, when I tried to Review the individual and click delete
        button, it didn’t work.

        3) I think that this is why the information came up eventually as all
        disputed -- you had "deleted" the information via NFS rather than via
        AQ. You might try deleting this person via AQ to completely remove
        him/her, then re-add the person.

        This worked!! I deleted the child from AQ, then re-added him and was able
        to sync and reserve seal to parents only. (I remembered to put in the death
        year. J )

        4) AQ should be able to delete disputes. I seem to remember a bug in the
        NFS API that was introduced in the February/March release that may
        interfere -- I'm not sure. You might have to delete the entire event to
        get rid of the dispute, then re-add it. This worked in AQ prior to the
        new API, and off the top of my head, I'm not sure of which new NFS bugs
        we couldn't find work-arounds for :-)

        After deleting and re-adding the child, I did not see any dispute in AQ.

        5) Just a tid-bit of information that is somewhat related -- I have
        talked with a few users who have tried to delete notes in NFS via the
        NFS screens, and they tell me that there is no way to do that. You can
        delete notes from NFS using AQ. So if you find that you are the
        contributor of such wonderful notes as, "Gender generated through GEDCOM
        import.", and want to clear these out of NFS, you can use AQ to do it.

        Gaylon

        Thanks Gaylon!!

        /Gunilla