Screwed up - deleted a child in new FamilySearch (Gaylon?)

    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2010
      I entered a child in AQ. I had birth and christening dates and a burial
      date. I uploaded it to nFS, then I tried to reserve ordinances. The system
      didn't recognize that this was a child and wanted me to reserve all
      ordinances.

      In the edit screen I then added "Child" in the place of baptism and
      endowment.

      Tried to reserve again. Now it said bapt and end. were completed, but I was
      supposed to reserve confirmation and initiatories.

      Same thing when I opened up new FamilySearch on line.

      I thought that if I deleted this child from nFS (was still working on the
      web on line), then I could add him again (on the web, on line) and see if
      that would work.

      So I did, and all ordinances showed as Ready. OK, then I thought I'll add
      the death year (which I could assume from the burial date). NOW nFS showed
      that the ordinances were not needed. Great.

      BUT, when I returned to AQ to review this child with nFS, then up he came
      with every line disputed. I can't delete that from AQ, and I think I can't
      do anything with him now in AQ.

      QUESTION: I deleted the child completely on line in nFS, why did AQ show him
      there with all the disputes? (As far as I can tell, I can't remove those
      "disputes" from AQ)

      You'd think that if he was completely removed on line, that it should have
      shown in AQ also?

      I would prefer to reserve the seal to parents through AQ, but if that won't
      work, I guess I'll have to try that part on line.

      I hope someone can give some help or insight

      Thanks

      Gunilla Manell
      1488 NW 2 AVE
      ONTARIO OR 97914
      Phone# 541-889-9076
      e-mail: <mailto:gmanell@...> gmanell@...
      HOME PAGE URL:
      <http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/> http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/
      FAMILY TREE HOME PAGE URL:
      <http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/genhome.html>
      http://gmanell.tripod.com/tripod/genhome.html

      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2010
        Gunilla:

        A couple of thoughts.

        1) I have heard that NFS requires a person, who died before 8 and
        therefore should not need to be baptized or endowed, to enter a special
        fact of "Died before 8". Perhaps I am mistaken, as I just checked the
        list of facts you can add through NFS, and it doesn't list this one. Yet
        I have seen a fact with a title like that on some of my records.

        2) If you add someone to NFS, and think something is wrong, AQ will let
        you delete the person. Just go into the "Review/Sync Individual" screen
        and use the Delete button. If you delete information through the NFS
        screens, it places them into a mode where they are not really deleted,
        but double-disputed. If you delete the information through AQ, then the
        information is truly deleted. The API that NFS provides to third parties
        actually deletes information, whereas the non-API code used by NFS does not.

        3) I think that this is why the information came up eventually as all
        disputed -- you had "deleted" the information via NFS rather than via
        AQ. You might try deleting this person via AQ to completely remove
        him/her, then re-add the person.

        4) AQ should be able to delete disputes. I seem to remember a bug in the
        NFS API that was introduced in the February/March release that may
        interfere -- I'm not sure. You might have to delete the entire event to
        get rid of the dispute, then re-add it. This worked in AQ prior to the
        new API, and off the top of my head, I'm not sure of which new NFS bugs
        we couldn't find work-arounds for :-)

        5) Just a tid-bit of information that is somewhat related -- I have
        talked with a few users who have tried to delete notes in NFS via the
        NFS screens, and they tell me that there is no way to do that. You can
        delete notes from NFS using AQ. So if you find that you are the
        contributor of such wonderful notes as, "Gender generated through GEDCOM
        import.", and want to clear these out of NFS, you can use AQ to do it.

        Gaylon

        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2010

          I’ll insert my comments between yours below…

          1) I have heard that NFS requires a person, who died before 8 and
          therefore should not need to be baptized or endowed, to enter a special
          fact of "Died before 8". Perhaps I am mistaken, as I just checked the
          list of facts you can add through NFS, and it doesn't list this one. Yet
          I have seen a fact with a title like that on some of my records.

          Apparently this means you have to have a DEATH date. Once I stuck a year in
          there, it recognized that the child died before age 8. Just the burial date
          was not enough.

          2) If you add someone to NFS, and think something is wrong, AQ will let
          you delete the person. Just go into the "Review/Sync Individual" screen
          and use the Delete button. If you delete information through the NFS
          screens, it places them into a mode where they are not really deleted,
          but double-disputed. If you delete the information through AQ, then the
          information is truly deleted. The API that NFS provides to third parties
          actually deletes information, whereas the non-API code used by NFS does not.

          At this point, when I tried to Review the individual and click delete
          button, it didn’t work.

          3) I think that this is why the information came up eventually as all
          disputed -- you had "deleted" the information via NFS rather than via
          AQ. You might try deleting this person via AQ to completely remove
          him/her, then re-add the person.

          This worked!! I deleted the child from AQ, then re-added him and was able
          to sync and reserve seal to parents only. (I remembered to put in the death
          year. J )

          4) AQ should be able to delete disputes. I seem to remember a bug in the
          NFS API that was introduced in the February/March release that may
          interfere -- I'm not sure. You might have to delete the entire event to
          get rid of the dispute, then re-add it. This worked in AQ prior to the
          new API, and off the top of my head, I'm not sure of which new NFS bugs
          we couldn't find work-arounds for :-)

          After deleting and re-adding the child, I did not see any dispute in AQ.

          5) Just a tid-bit of information that is somewhat related -- I have
          talked with a few users who have tried to delete notes in NFS via the
          NFS screens, and they tell me that there is no way to do that. You can
          delete notes from NFS using AQ. So if you find that you are the
          contributor of such wonderful notes as, "Gender generated through GEDCOM
          import.", and want to clear these out of NFS, you can use AQ to do it.

          Gaylon

          Thanks Gaylon!!

          /Gunilla