Re: [AQ_NFS] Downloaded names come in as 'unknown'

    Message 1 of 13 , May 18, 2009
      Peggy:

      Apparently the NFS team put out a new set of code this weekend with
      changes that caused this effect in AQ. After some experimentation, we
      have found that the latest patch for AQ does not have this problem. This
      may cause us to release a new build sooner than we had wanted. Until we
      do so, you can download and use the latest patch.

      The patch file can be found here:

      http://www.ancestralquestonline.com/updates/files/latest.zip

      To install it, download the file above, then extract the two compressed
      files into your AQ program file (typically this is "c:\Program
      Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1") This will replace two
      files in your set of AQ program files, and this problem should go away.

      Gaylon

      ojyggep wrote:
      > I have tried starting with a new AQ database, entering my name, and then downloading my parents' files from New FamilySearch.
      >
      > The events seem to come in just fine, but all the people are named "Unknown".
      >
      > What am I doing wrong?
      >
      > Peggy

    • Peggy Hanton
      Message 2 of 13 , May 18, 2009
        Thank you so much!!! I will try tomorrow.

        I enjoyed your presentation in Kensington last Tuesday morning. Well
        done!

        From: Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...>
        Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:56:44 -0600
        To: <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] Downloaded names come in as 'unknown'

        Message 3 of 13 , May 21, 2009
          All:

          We have just released a new build of AQ 12.1. This is build 17.

          The easiest way to get this build is to run Ancestral Quest, then go to
          the "Internet" menu (between the "Tools" and "Collaborate" menu items),
          then select the option to "Check for Latest AQ Release".

          Most of the issues have to do with the new nFS features, but there are a
          few issues that affect other features. All of these are listed below.
          Since you have subscribed to this newsgroup, you must be using the nFS
          features, and you should upgrade.

          Gaylon Findlay
          Incline Software

          *General Enhancements*

          * *Preferences:* New preference allows you to specify that the last
          file should not be opened on startup. This defaults to "off" for
          the retail version of AQ, and to "on" for the special FHC version
          of AQ.

          *Enhancements to nFS Features*

          * *Import Family Lines:* On May 17, the nFS system was updated. One
          of the updates apparently caused AQ to put in the name of
          "Unknown" for all individuals imported. AQ was enhanced to
          compensate for this change in nFS.
          * *Check Fix:* Now finds and fixes additional issues

          *General Bug Fixes*

          * *Web Page Location:* If you specified in Preferences that you
          wanted the web pages to be created in a particular sub-folder,
          sometimes the web pages would be generated in the parent folder.
          Fixed.
          * *Book Reports/Web Pages:* In build 15 or 16, we introduced a bug
          when creating a book report or web page using a PAF 5 file. This
          often cause names or details to not be shown. Fixed.
          * *Book Reports/Web Pages:* If a couple's information was such that
          the header for the children needed to show the first name of the
          spouse, but the spouse did not have a given name, then the full
          name would print with the RIN number attached. The RIN number is
          not longer shown in this case.

          *Bug Fixes to nFS Features*

          * *Display of nFS Events:* The Baptism, Seal to Spouse, Seal to
          Parent and Lineage event types were being displayed in reverse
          order. Fixed.
          * *Sync Parents/Siblings Screen:* If the parents weren't linked, the
          screen would let you select items for the main person when it
          shouldn't have. Fixed.
          * *Sync Spouses/Children Screen:* If nFS did not have two spouses,
          AQ would let you try to seal a child. This produced an error in
          nFS. AQ now warns you that without two spouses you can't seal the
          child.
          * *Family Sync Screens:* If you were adding marriage events for the
          parents and a child who was already linked was being connected to
          the nFS family, after the child was connected, AQ would crash when
          attempting to add the marriage event to nFS. Fixed.
          * *Family Sync Screens:* A recent feature to "Mark All" did not work
          in all cases. Fixed.
          * *Family Sync Screens:* If you are adding a local person to the
          remote family, but you search and find that the remote person
          already exists, in fact you find that there are duplicates of this
          person, so you first combine, then the link didn't take. Fixed.
          * *Updating nFS Events:* If an extra event had multiple
          contributors, and you are one of these, and you attempt to change
          the event information, this did not always work. Fixed.
          * *Updating nFS Events:* If your event contained a Description field
          with certain special characters (like "&") the event would not
          upload properly to nFS. Fixed.
        • rdw20@suddenlink.net
          Message 4 of 13 , May 25, 2009
            Hi Gaylon,

            I tried to get the upgrade according to your message but, I was unsuccesful. My computer said that it could not open the site. Have you heard of this before. Maybe my computer isn't set up properly or their is somethig else wrong. Could you be of some assistance? Thank you!

          • ghfindlay
            Message 5 of 13 , May 26, 2009
              When you click on the option in AQ to "Check for Latest AQ Release", AQ asks Windows to activate your browser (typically Internet Explorer or Firefox), and requests that it go to a certain page on the Internet.

              It sounds like either the site was temporarily unresponsive (just try again), or something isn't set up correctly in your computer with your browser.

              The alternate way to get the latest release of AQ is to simply download the free trial (I would use the Basic Installer) from www.ancquest.com and install it. Since the free trial is actually the full program, as soon as you install it, it will recognize your activation key (presuming that you are registered) and be ready to go.

              Gaylon

              --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, <rdw20@...> wrote:

              > Hi Gaylon,
              >
              > I tried to get the upgrade according to your message but, I was unsuccesful. My computer said that it could not open the site. Have you heard of this before. Maybe my computer isn't set up properly or their is somethig else wrong. Could you be of some assistance? Thank you!
            • Alan Whitcomb
              Message 6 of 13 , May 26, 2009
                On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 8:03 AM, ghfindlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

                > Downloading the entire program and installing it on top of itself is not
                > TOO bad, those of us Wine-os have to do it.

                Now if only it didn't crash in the screen translation pages....

                I am going to break down and see if there are any copy protections
                prohibiting me from installing AQ on more than one computer. (my backup
                laptop uses XP).

                > When you click on the option in AQ to "Check for Latest AQ Release", AQ
                > asks Windows to activate your browser (typically Internet Explorer or
                > Firefox), and requests that it go to a certain page on the Internet.
                >
                > It sounds like either the site was temporarily unresponsive (just try
                > again), or something isn't set up correctly in your computer with your
                > browser.
                >
                > The alternate way to get the latest release of AQ is to simply download the
                > free trial (I would use the Basic Installer) from www.ancquest.com and
                > install it. Since the free trial is actually the full program, as soon as
                > you install it, it will recognize your activation key (presuming that you
                > are registered) and be ready to go.
                >
                > Gaylon
                >

                > --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>, <rdw20@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Gaylon,
                > >
                > > I tried to get the upgrade according to your message but, I was
                > unsuccesful. My computer said that it could not open the site. Have you
                > heard of this before. Maybe my computer isn't set up properly or their is
                > somethig else wrong. Could you be of some assistance? Thank you!

              • dlstarr1200
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 13, 2009
                  Gayon,
                  I loaded the new version, but the "UNKOWN" names are still in the database. How do I resync to get the names updated?
                  Thanks.

                  --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, Peggy Hanton <peggyjo@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you so much!!! I will try tomorrow.
                  >
                  > I enjoyed your presentation in Kensington last Tuesday morning. Well
                  > done!
                  >

                  > >> I am; I can; I ought; I will.
                  >

                  > From: Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...>
                  > Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:56:44 -0600
                  > To: <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] Downloaded names come in as 'unknown'
                  >

                  > Peggy:
                  >
                  > Apparently the NFS team put out a new set of code this weekend with
                  > changes that caused this effect in AQ. After some experimentation, we
                  > have found that the latest patch for AQ does not have this problem. This
                  > may cause us to release a new build sooner than we had wanted. Until we
                  > do so, you can download and use the latest patch.
                  >
                  > The patch file can be found here:
                  >
                  > http://www.ancestralquestonline.com/updates/files/latest.zip
                  >
                  > To install it, download the file above, then extract the two compressed
                  > files into your AQ program file (typically this is "c:\Program
                  > Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1") This will replace two
                  > files in your set of AQ program files, and this problem should go away.
                  >
                  > Gaylon
                  >
                  > ojyggep wrote:
                  > > I have tried starting with a new AQ database, entering my name, and then
                  > downloading my parents' files from New FamilySearch.
                  > >
                  > > The events seem to come in just fine, but all the people are named "Unknown".
                  > >
                  > > What am I doing wrong?
                  > >
                  > > Peggy

                • register
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009

                    Earlier you said AQ would at some point have the ability to print FORs. Are
                    you able to predict a time when this feature might be available? I am
                    trying to steer our patrons to AQ but they keep looking at the FOR feature
                    in Roots Magic, forgetting that an FOR is something that will be printed
                    only occasionally but they see it as a big selling point. It would be nice
                    it I had a good answer for them re AQ.

                    Eric

                    Eric & Marnie Abell

                    Saanichton, BC, Canada

                    (250) 652 4616

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
                      All:

                      Please don't spread the word quite yet, but this is VERY close. We hope
                      to go into a short beta testing on this feature before the end of this
                      week. If all goes well, we hope to release this new feature in about 2
                      weeks.

                      Right now, we are looking for volunteers to help test it. If you are
                      interested, please send me an e-mail directly (please do NOT reply
                      directly to the group on this.)

                      gfindlay@...

                      AQ is already certified to handle the ordinance reservations, and has
                      been for over 2 weeks. See this page:
                      http://devnet.familysearch.org/certification/affiliate-program/AffiliateCertfied

                      We have been holding off on drawing people's attention to this until we
                      were closer to releasing these features. Just a few more days ...

                      Gaylon

                      register wrote:
                      > Gaylon,
                      >
                      > Earlier you said AQ would at some point have the ability to print FORs. Are
                      > you able to predict a time when this feature might be available? I am
                      > trying to steer our patrons to AQ but they keep looking at the FOR feature
                      > in Roots Magic, forgetting that an FOR is something that will be printed
                      > only occasionally but they see it as a big selling point. It would be nice
                      > it I had a good answer for them re AQ.
                      >

                      > Eric
                      >

                      > Eric & Marnie Abell
                      >
                      > Saanichton, BC, Canada
                      >
                      > (250) 652 4616

                    • Scott Scheibe
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
                        One thing I would really like to print is match lists and
                        possible matches, ect. Right now I've been writing down RINs of not
                        synced people and then looking them up and working on them from the
                        families which works much better than searching for them from the
                        search screen. It would be a lot easer if AQ would print the list so
                        I don't have to write down a LOT of RIN numbers.

                        Scott Scheibe
                        dsscheibe@...
                        <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

                        Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
                        <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>
                      • register
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 7, 2009
                          Here is an idea. If you do a shift-printscreen you will find an image of
                          the screen on your clipboard. If you F11 first you will get an even better
                          image. Now open something like Microsoft Word and paste the clipboard to
                          the file - then print. If you want a better result, paste the image into a
                          photo editor - something like Paint.net, then crop or enlarge or whatever
                          and you can save and print and get the list you want.

                          Unfortunately this works for only a few names at a time so maybe someone has
                          a better idea.

                          Eric

                          One thing I would really like to print is match lists and
                          possible matches, ect. Right now I've been writing down RINs of not
                          synced people and then looking them up and working on them from the
                          families which works much better than searching for them from the
                          search screen. It would be a lot easer if AQ would print the list so
                          I don't have to write down a LOT of RIN numbers.

                          Scott Scheibe
                          dsscheibe@earthlink <mailto:dsscheibe%40earthlink.net> .net
                          <http://scottsworld. <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm> info/gene.htm>

                          Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
                          <http://woodward. <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/> scottsworld.info/>

                        • Leslievaughn@cfl.rr.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7, 2009
                            That is an easy one.

                            If you don't know how to do lists or for those who don't

                            Search>Advanced Filter>Advanced Filter/Focus/Define>Possible Fields> NFS ID>Does Not Exist>OK>OK>Print Reports>Custom then Name your report then print