RE: [AQ_NFS] Feedback Requested

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21 9:37 AM
      OK, now I can see what you are talking about. Yes it can be helpful if you
      are new doing this, but it is very easy to ignore, if you don't like pop up
      messages. :-)

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 23 1:14 PM

        I haven't worked with the new hints a lot be I like what I see.

        Great work as always.

        There is a feature I would like to see if it is possible. In the comparison
        screen where it shows my data and nFS data I would like to see which name
        (when several are listed) is in the summary on nFS. It matches up the name
        on the same line if I have a matching one but that is not always the
        "summary" name. An icon of some sort indicating which is the summary name in
        nFS would be great. I would also like to be able to choose the info that
        shows in the summary from AQ without having to go into nFS directly. But if
        I could at least tell which items are showing in the summary it would same
        me a great deal of time going into nFS.

        Thank you for all your help.

        Margaret

        > Thanks for the opportunity to clarify this -- I probably should have
        > given a bit more detail in the original request.
        >
        > If you have turned off the option to "Show Hints" on the "Review and
        > Synchronize" screen, you won't see the new hints. You need to turn on
        > the hints to see it. (Some users get really bothered when the program
        > offers hints, so AQ provides a way to hide these. But I think that
        > beginners will rely very heavily on these hints as they learn to use
        > these screens.)
        >
        > As you start to work with this screen, or the Parents/Siblings or
        > Spouses/Children screen, you should see tips come up when you hover your
        > mouse over almost any icon. So when you hold the mouse over a checkbox,
        > AQ should now give you some idea of what the checkbox is there for. If
        > it is greyed out, you should get a different hint than if it is not. If
        > you have selected an option, then hover over it again, it should tell
        > you what option you have selected. And so on.
        >
        > On the Family Sync screens, there are a lot more options. If you hover
        > over a radio button which lets you select which family to work with, it
        > will give you a tip. If you hover over an option box next to the family,
        > that allows you to line families up with each other, you should get an
        > appropriate tip. If you hover over a + or - icon, it should give you
        > some guidance. If you have chosen to link a child in your family with an
        > existing person from NFS, but that person was not already in the NFS
        > family, then AQ will show a dagger symbol: "†". If you hover over this
        > symbol, it should tell you what it means. There is a case when you will
        > even see a double-dagger: "‡" -- if you see this and hover over it, you
        > will see what that means. Before you link a child, the options box
        > should give you one hint. After you have marked the box to link the
        > person, so you see a green link symbol, the hint should be different.
        >
        > And so on. There are a lot of different options on these screens,
        > sometimes different for the local data vs the NFS data. As you hover the
        > mouse over any of these icons you should get help. And after you make
        > selections, the help should change to reflect new options.
        >
        > We want to make sure that the help not only makes sense to us
        > programmers here at Incline Software, but that the users feel it is
        > helpful. We expect to release a new build in a couple of days -- in time
        > for the big "Genealogy Week" here in SLC, and these hints will be an
        > important part of the new build.
        >
        > Gaylon
        >

        > Gunilla Manell wrote:
        >> I am almost ashamed to admit that I am not sure what changed. Was the
        >> message at the top of the page? I did see something there, but I don't
        >> know
        >> if it was there before or if it was new. Maybe I missed something?
        >>

        >> /Gunilla

      • emregister
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 27 6:13 AM
          Yesterday I downloaded build 25 on both my wife's any my computer. I like
          the little tips as I hover but there are no little tips on my wife's
          machine. I reinstalled the build several times - still no tips and yet the
          'about Ancestral Quest' indicates build 25. I have looked over preferences
          but could I have missed something. Any ideas?

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27 10:20 AM
            Eric:

            On the bottom of the Review Individual/Sync screen, there is a checkbox
            for whether you want AQ to provide hints. If you hide the hints, then ...

            Gaylon

            emregister wrote:

            > Yesterday I downloaded build 25 on both my wife's any my computer. I like
            > the little tips as I hover but there are no little tips on my wife's
            > machine. I reinstalled the build several times - still no tips and yet the
            > 'about Ancestral Quest' indicates build 25. I have looked over preferences
            > but could I have missed something. Any ideas?
            >

            > Eric

          • emregister
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 27 11:18 AM
              Gaylon, thanks. Once I have been shown the solution it then appears to be
              obvious.