Feedback Requested

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 20, 2010
      All:

      We are in the process of adding some helpful tips to the main
      FamilySearch syncing screens of AQ: the Individual Review/Sync screen
      and the Family Sync screen. We hope that these tips will make working
      with these screens more intuitive.

      We expect to release a new build of AQ 12.1 in the next couple of days,
      and wanted to get feedback from those who use these features before
      doing so.

      If any of you would like to look at the new tips, and give us feedback
      as to whether the tips are well written, intuitive, clear, and helpful,
      please install this latest patch, pay attention to the tips on these two
      screens, and let us know whether you think they are perfect, or could be
      better. (We've found that many users have never discovered some of the
      capabilities of these screens, and if they see the hints, we think more
      users will get more value out of AQ.)

      To participate, download this file:

      http://www.inclinesoftware.net/files/Latest.zip

      And unzip the contents to your AQ 12.1 program folder, which is typically:

      c:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1

      If you successfully extract the files to the program folder, the next
      time you run AQ, and look at the "About AQ" screen (under the "Help"
      menu), you should see today's date as the date of the version.

      I think a little discussion about these tips on this group might be
      useful, so that if one of you has a suggestion, it may help another of
      you to come up with even a better suggestion. So send your comments
      either to me directly (gfindlay@...) or to this AQ_NFS group.

      Thank you for your help.

      Gaylon
    • Terry D. Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 20, 2010
        Dear Gaylon...

        The Mark All feature does not work! Or works off and on. It is not
        defined here... or where would we learn about it? constantly have to
        select and use A+O to add a person FROM nFS to the AQ database.

        ---- Terry
        Terry D. Smith and Family
        1978 Miner Way, Las Vegas, Nevada 89104-5214

        Listen to the whisperings, they can lead you over your brick walls

        Researching the surnames: Billedeaux, Hungate, Garrett, King, Martin,
        Weale, Trickel, Armelle, Swearingen, Price, Lund, Johnson, Thomas, Eyre,
        Mihelich, Springer, Trebnik, Armentrout, Marcelain, Mayfield, Ward

        Genealogy URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~tdsfamgen100/ which links to
        http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=tsmith
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20, 2010
          Terry:

          The Mark All feature is a bit complex. And it has one known flaw.

          If you have family both in your local file and in NFS, the Mark All will
          mark all members of the family, who are lined up as a match with each
          other, to be synced. If all are marked, then it unmarks them all.

          If you only have a local family, but no family in NFS, it will mark all
          the local family members to be added to NFS. If they are all marked, it
          will unmark them all.

          If you only have a family in NFS, but no local family, the Mark all will
          mark all NFS family members to be added to your local file. If all are
          already marked, it will unmark them all. This is the case where there is
          a known flaw: If you individually mark children to be added from NFS to
          your local file, the lineage and Seal to Parent facts will also be
          marked automatically. If you use the "Mark All" to select all the
          children, it doesn't yet automatically mark the lineage and SP facts.
          Because a child has to have lineage in AQ, AQ will bring over the
          lineage information from NFS to the local family even though the lineage
          facts were not marked, but the SP will be missed for these children
          unless you specifically ask for it.

          Gaylon

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 20, 2010
            Thus a suggestion comes to mind....

            If information exists in the AQ side, then allow the user to migrate
            over the nFS data.... OR if the data exists in nFS but not in AQ then
            allow the user to opt to mark them all for transport over. The idea
            being that information exists already in the one, that it need not be
            added to the othter, but the user may wish to add MISSING information.
            to one of the other. OR frankly BOTH!

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 21, 2010
              I am almost ashamed to admit that I am not sure what changed. Was the
              message at the top of the page? I did see something there, but I don't know
              if it was there before or if it was new. Maybe I missed something?

              /Gunilla

[...]

              <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> ) or to this AQ_NFS group.

              Thank you for your help.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 21, 2010
                Gunilla:

                Thanks for the opportunity to clarify this -- I probably should have
                given a bit more detail in the original request.

                If you have turned off the option to "Show Hints" on the "Review and
                Synchronize" screen, you won't see the new hints. You need to turn on
                the hints to see it. (Some users get really bothered when the program
                offers hints, so AQ provides a way to hide these. But I think that
                beginners will rely very heavily on these hints as they learn to use
                these screens.)

                As you start to work with this screen, or the Parents/Siblings or
                Spouses/Children screen, you should see tips come up when you hover your
                mouse over almost any icon. So when you hold the mouse over a checkbox,
                AQ should now give you some idea of what the checkbox is there for. If
                it is greyed out, you should get a different hint than if it is not. If
                you have selected an option, then hover over it again, it should tell
                you what option you have selected. And so on.

                On the Family Sync screens, there are a lot more options. If you hover
                over a radio button which lets you select which family to work with, it
                will give you a tip. If you hover over an option box next to the family,
                that allows you to line families up with each other, you should get an
                appropriate tip. If you hover over a + or - icon, it should give you
                some guidance. If you have chosen to link a child in your family with an
                existing person from NFS, but that person was not already in the NFS
                family, then AQ will show a dagger symbol: "†". If you hover over this
                symbol, it should tell you what it means. There is a case when you will
                even see a double-dagger: "‡" -- if you see this and hover over it, you
                will see what that means. Before you link a child, the options box
                should give you one hint. After you have marked the box to link the
                person, so you see a green link symbol, the hint should be different.

                And so on. There are a lot of different options on these screens,
                sometimes different for the local data vs the NFS data. As you hover the
                mouse over any of these icons you should get help. And after you make
                selections, the help should change to reflect new options.

                We want to make sure that the help not only makes sense to us
                programmers here at Incline Software, but that the users feel it is
                helpful. We expect to release a new build in a couple of days -- in time
                for the big "Genealogy Week" here in SLC, and these hints will be an
                important part of the new build.

                Gaylon

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 21, 2010
                  OK, now I can see what you are talking about. Yes it can be helpful if you
                  are new doing this, but it is very easy to ignore, if you don't like pop up
                  messages. :-)

                  Gunilla Manell wrote:
                  > I am almost ashamed to admit that I am not sure what changed. Was the
                  > message at the top of the page? I did see something there, but I don't
                  know
                  > if it was there before or if it was new. Maybe I missed something?
                  >

                  > /Gunilla

                • Margaret Thompson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 23, 2010

                    I haven't worked with the new hints a lot be I like what I see.

                    Great work as always.

                    There is a feature I would like to see if it is possible. In the comparison
                    screen where it shows my data and nFS data I would like to see which name
                    (when several are listed) is in the summary on nFS. It matches up the name
                    on the same line if I have a matching one but that is not always the
                    "summary" name. An icon of some sort indicating which is the summary name in
                    nFS would be great. I would also like to be able to choose the info that
                    shows in the summary from AQ without having to go into nFS directly. But if
                    I could at least tell which items are showing in the summary it would same
                    me a great deal of time going into nFS.

                    Thank you for all your help.

                    Margaret

                    > Thanks for the opportunity to clarify this -- I probably should have
                    > given a bit more detail in the original request.
                    >
                    > If you have turned off the option to "Show Hints" on the "Review and
                    > Synchronize" screen, you won't see the new hints. You need to turn on
                    > the hints to see it. (Some users get really bothered when the program
                    > offers hints, so AQ provides a way to hide these. But I think that
                    > beginners will rely very heavily on these hints as they learn to use
                    > these screens.)
                    >
                    > As you start to work with this screen, or the Parents/Siblings or
                    > Spouses/Children screen, you should see tips come up when you hover your
                    > mouse over almost any icon. So when you hold the mouse over a checkbox,
                    > AQ should now give you some idea of what the checkbox is there for. If
                    > it is greyed out, you should get a different hint than if it is not. If
                    > you have selected an option, then hover over it again, it should tell
                    > you what option you have selected. And so on.
                    >
                    > On the Family Sync screens, there are a lot more options. If you hover
                    > over a radio button which lets you select which family to work with, it
                    > will give you a tip. If you hover over an option box next to the family,
                    > that allows you to line families up with each other, you should get an
                    > appropriate tip. If you hover over a + or - icon, it should give you
                    > some guidance. If you have chosen to link a child in your family with an
                    > existing person from NFS, but that person was not already in the NFS
                    > family, then AQ will show a dagger symbol: "†". If you hover over this
                    > symbol, it should tell you what it means. There is a case when you will
                    > even see a double-dagger: "‡" -- if you see this and hover over it, you
                    > will see what that means. Before you link a child, the options box
                    > should give you one hint. After you have marked the box to link the
                    > person, so you see a green link symbol, the hint should be different.
                    >
                    > And so on. There are a lot of different options on these screens,
                    > sometimes different for the local data vs the NFS data. As you hover the
                    > mouse over any of these icons you should get help. And after you make
                    > selections, the help should change to reflect new options.
                    >
                    > We want to make sure that the help not only makes sense to us
                    > programmers here at Incline Software, but that the users feel it is
                    > helpful. We expect to release a new build in a couple of days -- in time
                    > for the big "Genealogy Week" here in SLC, and these hints will be an
                    > important part of the new build.
                    >
                    > Gaylon
                    >

                    > Gunilla Manell wrote:
                    >> I am almost ashamed to admit that I am not sure what changed. Was the
                    >> message at the top of the page? I did see something there, but I don't
                    >> know
                    >> if it was there before or if it was new. Maybe I missed something?
                    >>

                    >> /Gunilla

                  • emregister
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 27, 2010
                      Yesterday I downloaded build 25 on both my wife's any my computer. I like
                      the little tips as I hover but there are no little tips on my wife's
                      machine. I reinstalled the build several times - still no tips and yet the
                      'about Ancestral Quest' indicates build 25. I have looked over preferences
                      but could I have missed something. Any ideas?

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 27, 2010
                        Eric:

                        On the bottom of the Review Individual/Sync screen, there is a checkbox
                        for whether you want AQ to provide hints. If you hide the hints, then ...

                        Gaylon

                        emregister wrote:

                        > Yesterday I downloaded build 25 on both my wife's any my computer. I like
                        > the little tips as I hover but there are no little tips on my wife's
                        > machine. I reinstalled the build several times - still no tips and yet the
                        > 'about Ancestral Quest' indicates build 25. I have looked over preferences
                        > but could I have missed something. Any ideas?
                        >

                        > Eric

                      • emregister
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 27, 2010
                          Gaylon, thanks. Once I have been shown the solution it then appears to be
                          obvious.