Downloaded names come in as 'unknown'

  • ojyggep
    Message 1 of 13 , May 18, 2009
      I have tried starting with a new AQ database, entering my name, and then downloading my parents' files from New FamilySearch.

      The events seem to come in just fine, but all the people are named "Unknown".

      What am I doing wrong?

      Peggy
      Message 2 of 13 , May 18, 2009
        Peggy:

        Apparently the NFS team put out a new set of code this weekend with
        changes that caused this effect in AQ. After some experimentation, we
        have found that the latest patch for AQ does not have this problem. This
        may cause us to release a new build sooner than we had wanted. Until we
        do so, you can download and use the latest patch.

        The patch file can be found here:

        http://www.ancestralquestonline.com/updates/files/latest.zip

        To install it, download the file above, then extract the two compressed
        files into your AQ program file (typically this is "c:\Program
        Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1") This will replace two
        files in your set of AQ program files, and this problem should go away.

        Gaylon

        ojyggep wrote:
        > I have tried starting with a new AQ database, entering my name, and then downloading my parents' files from New FamilySearch.
        >
        > The events seem to come in just fine, but all the people are named "Unknown".
        >
        > What am I doing wrong?
        >
        > Peggy

      • Peggy Hanton
        Message 3 of 13 , May 18, 2009
          Thank you so much!!! I will try tomorrow.

          I enjoyed your presentation in Kensington last Tuesday morning. Well
          done!

          From: Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...>
          Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:56:44 -0600
          To: <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] Downloaded names come in as 'unknown'

          Message 4 of 13 , May 21, 2009
            All:

            We have just released a new build of AQ 12.1. This is build 17.

            The easiest way to get this build is to run Ancestral Quest, then go to
            the "Internet" menu (between the "Tools" and "Collaborate" menu items),
            then select the option to "Check for Latest AQ Release".

            Most of the issues have to do with the new nFS features, but there are a
            few issues that affect other features. All of these are listed below.
            Since you have subscribed to this newsgroup, you must be using the nFS
            features, and you should upgrade.

            Gaylon Findlay
            Incline Software

            *General Enhancements*

            * *Preferences:* New preference allows you to specify that the last
            file should not be opened on startup. This defaults to "off" for
            the retail version of AQ, and to "on" for the special FHC version
            of AQ.

            *Enhancements to nFS Features*

            * *Import Family Lines:* On May 17, the nFS system was updated. One
            of the updates apparently caused AQ to put in the name of
            "Unknown" for all individuals imported. AQ was enhanced to
            compensate for this change in nFS.
            * *Check Fix:* Now finds and fixes additional issues

            *General Bug Fixes*

            * *Web Page Location:* If you specified in Preferences that you
            wanted the web pages to be created in a particular sub-folder,
            sometimes the web pages would be generated in the parent folder.
            Fixed.
            * *Book Reports/Web Pages:* In build 15 or 16, we introduced a bug
            when creating a book report or web page using a PAF 5 file. This
            often cause names or details to not be shown. Fixed.
            * *Book Reports/Web Pages:* If a couple's information was such that
            the header for the children needed to show the first name of the
            spouse, but the spouse did not have a given name, then the full
            name would print with the RIN number attached. The RIN number is
            not longer shown in this case.

            *Bug Fixes to nFS Features*

            * *Display of nFS Events:* The Baptism, Seal to Spouse, Seal to
            Parent and Lineage event types were being displayed in reverse
            order. Fixed.
            * *Sync Parents/Siblings Screen:* If the parents weren't linked, the
            screen would let you select items for the main person when it
            shouldn't have. Fixed.
            * *Sync Spouses/Children Screen:* If nFS did not have two spouses,
            AQ would let you try to seal a child. This produced an error in
            nFS. AQ now warns you that without two spouses you can't seal the
            child.
            * *Family Sync Screens:* If you were adding marriage events for the
            parents and a child who was already linked was being connected to
            the nFS family, after the child was connected, AQ would crash when
            attempting to add the marriage event to nFS. Fixed.
            * *Family Sync Screens:* A recent feature to "Mark All" did not work
            in all cases. Fixed.
            * *Family Sync Screens:* If you are adding a local person to the
            remote family, but you search and find that the remote person
            already exists, in fact you find that there are duplicates of this
            person, so you first combine, then the link didn't take. Fixed.
            * *Updating nFS Events:* If an extra event had multiple
            contributors, and you are one of these, and you attempt to change
            the event information, this did not always work. Fixed.
            * *Updating nFS Events:* If your event contained a Description field
            with certain special characters (like "&") the event would not
            upload properly to nFS. Fixed.
          • rdw20@suddenlink.net
            Message 5 of 13 , May 25, 2009
              Hi Gaylon,

              I tried to get the upgrade according to your message but, I was unsuccesful. My computer said that it could not open the site. Have you heard of this before. Maybe my computer isn't set up properly or their is somethig else wrong. Could you be of some assistance? Thank you!

            • ghfindlay
              Message 6 of 13 , May 26, 2009
                When you click on the option in AQ to "Check for Latest AQ Release", AQ asks Windows to activate your browser (typically Internet Explorer or Firefox), and requests that it go to a certain page on the Internet.

                It sounds like either the site was temporarily unresponsive (just try again), or something isn't set up correctly in your computer with your browser.

                The alternate way to get the latest release of AQ is to simply download the free trial (I would use the Basic Installer) from www.ancquest.com and install it. Since the free trial is actually the full program, as soon as you install it, it will recognize your activation key (presuming that you are registered) and be ready to go.

                Gaylon

                --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, <rdw20@...> wrote:

                > Hi Gaylon,
                >
                > I tried to get the upgrade according to your message but, I was unsuccesful. My computer said that it could not open the site. Have you heard of this before. Maybe my computer isn't set up properly or their is somethig else wrong. Could you be of some assistance? Thank you!
              • Alan Whitcomb
                Message 7 of 13 , May 26, 2009
                  On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 8:03 AM, ghfindlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

                  > Downloading the entire program and installing it on top of itself is not
                  > TOO bad, those of us Wine-os have to do it.

                  Now if only it didn't crash in the screen translation pages....

                  I am going to break down and see if there are any copy protections
                  prohibiting me from installing AQ on more than one computer. (my backup
                  laptop uses XP).

                  > When you click on the option in AQ to "Check for Latest AQ Release", AQ
                  > asks Windows to activate your browser (typically Internet Explorer or
                  > Firefox), and requests that it go to a certain page on the Internet.
                  >
                  > It sounds like either the site was temporarily unresponsive (just try
                  > again), or something isn't set up correctly in your computer with your
                  > browser.
                  >
                  > The alternate way to get the latest release of AQ is to simply download the
                  > free trial (I would use the Basic Installer) from www.ancquest.com and
                  > install it. Since the free trial is actually the full program, as soon as
                  > you install it, it will recognize your activation key (presuming that you
                  > are registered) and be ready to go.
                  >
                  > Gaylon
                  >

                  > --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>, <rdw20@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Gaylon,
                  > >
                  > > I tried to get the upgrade according to your message but, I was
                  > unsuccesful. My computer said that it could not open the site. Have you
                  > heard of this before. Maybe my computer isn't set up properly or their is
                  > somethig else wrong. Could you be of some assistance? Thank you!

                • dlstarr1200
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 13, 2009
                    Gayon,
                    I loaded the new version, but the "UNKOWN" names are still in the database. How do I resync to get the names updated?
                    Thanks.

                    --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, Peggy Hanton <peggyjo@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you so much!!! I will try tomorrow.
                    >
                    > I enjoyed your presentation in Kensington last Tuesday morning. Well
                    > done!
                    >

                    > >> I am; I can; I ought; I will.
                    >

                    > From: Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...>
                    > Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:56:44 -0600
                    > To: <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] Downloaded names come in as 'unknown'
                    >

                    > Peggy:
                    >
                    > Apparently the NFS team put out a new set of code this weekend with
                    > changes that caused this effect in AQ. After some experimentation, we
                    > have found that the latest patch for AQ does not have this problem. This
                    > may cause us to release a new build sooner than we had wanted. Until we
                    > do so, you can download and use the latest patch.
                    >
                    > The patch file can be found here:
                    >
                    > http://www.ancestralquestonline.com/updates/files/latest.zip
                    >
                    > To install it, download the file above, then extract the two compressed
                    > files into your AQ program file (typically this is "c:\Program
                    > Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1") This will replace two
                    > files in your set of AQ program files, and this problem should go away.
                    >
                    > Gaylon
                    >
                    > ojyggep wrote:
                    > > I have tried starting with a new AQ database, entering my name, and then
                    > downloading my parents' files from New FamilySearch.
                    > >
                    > > The events seem to come in just fine, but all the people are named "Unknown".
                    > >
                    > > What am I doing wrong?
                    > >
                    > > Peggy

                  • register
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009

                      Earlier you said AQ would at some point have the ability to print FORs. Are
                      you able to predict a time when this feature might be available? I am
                      trying to steer our patrons to AQ but they keep looking at the FOR feature
                      in Roots Magic, forgetting that an FOR is something that will be printed
                      only occasionally but they see it as a big selling point. It would be nice
                      it I had a good answer for them re AQ.

                      Eric

                      Eric & Marnie Abell

                      Saanichton, BC, Canada

                      (250) 652 4616

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
                        All:

                        Please don't spread the word quite yet, but this is VERY close. We hope
                        to go into a short beta testing on this feature before the end of this
                        week. If all goes well, we hope to release this new feature in about 2
                        weeks.

                        Right now, we are looking for volunteers to help test it. If you are
                        interested, please send me an e-mail directly (please do NOT reply
                        directly to the group on this.)

                        gfindlay@...

                        AQ is already certified to handle the ordinance reservations, and has
                        been for over 2 weeks. See this page:
                        http://devnet.familysearch.org/certification/affiliate-program/AffiliateCertfied

                        We have been holding off on drawing people's attention to this until we
                        were closer to releasing these features. Just a few more days ...

                        Gaylon

                        register wrote:
                        > Gaylon,
                        >
                        > Earlier you said AQ would at some point have the ability to print FORs. Are
                        > you able to predict a time when this feature might be available? I am
                        > trying to steer our patrons to AQ but they keep looking at the FOR feature
                        > in Roots Magic, forgetting that an FOR is something that will be printed
                        > only occasionally but they see it as a big selling point. It would be nice
                        > it I had a good answer for them re AQ.
                        >

                        > Eric
                        >

                        > Eric & Marnie Abell
                        >
                        > Saanichton, BC, Canada
                        >
                        > (250) 652 4616

                      • Scott Scheibe
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
                          One thing I would really like to print is match lists and
                          possible matches, ect. Right now I've been writing down RINs of not
                          synced people and then looking them up and working on them from the
                          families which works much better than searching for them from the
                          search screen. It would be a lot easer if AQ would print the list so
                          I don't have to write down a LOT of RIN numbers.

                          Scott Scheibe
                          dsscheibe@...
                          <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

                          Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
                          <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>
                        • register
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7, 2009
                            Here is an idea. If you do a shift-printscreen you will find an image of
                            the screen on your clipboard. If you F11 first you will get an even better
                            image. Now open something like Microsoft Word and paste the clipboard to
                            the file - then print. If you want a better result, paste the image into a
                            photo editor - something like Paint.net, then crop or enlarge or whatever
                            and you can save and print and get the list you want.

                            Unfortunately this works for only a few names at a time so maybe someone has
                            a better idea.

                            Eric

                            One thing I would really like to print is match lists and
                            possible matches, ect. Right now I've been writing down RINs of not
                            synced people and then looking them up and working on them from the
                            families which works much better than searching for them from the
                            search screen. It would be a lot easer if AQ would print the list so
                            I don't have to write down a LOT of RIN numbers.

                            Scott Scheibe
                            dsscheibe@earthlink <mailto:dsscheibe%40earthlink.net> .net
                            <http://scottsworld. <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm> info/gene.htm>

                            Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
                            <http://woodward. <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/> scottsworld.info/>

                          • Leslievaughn@cfl.rr.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 7, 2009
                              That is an easy one.

                              If you don't know how to do lists or for those who don't

                              Search>Advanced Filter>Advanced Filter/Focus/Define>Possible Fields> NFS ID>Does Not Exist>OK>OK>Print Reports>Custom then Name your report then print