Re: [AQ_NFS] What good is Collaboration in nFS?

  • Alan Whitcomb
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 26, 2010
      I am sorry I was not clear when I mentione "collaboration" in nFS.. and one
      would think of all family pitching in together and no overlapping. What I
      see is a lot of piss poor records - which I thought nFS was supposed to be
      rid of. And poaching.

      I am not referring to AQ. I regret any confusion I caused.

      Alan

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 26, 2010
        I love the collaboration feature, but I do not use it to Collaborate. I use it to "save" my work outside my hard drive. It is accessible to me on another computer or should my computer crash, I can retrieve all my work.

        If you own the file, you invite whatever relative you want to work on the file with you. They can check the file out and work on it and then check it in and you see what work they have done. If you don't want to invite anyone to use it (as I have not), just don't invite anyone and they cannot get any of the information you have put there.

        There are other venues to collaborate. New Family search is one. Personal websites can also be used. Sharing your file on Rootsweb and other places also may allow others to "steal" your work, but they cannot "steal" your ancestors. Your ancestors are also the ancestors of many other people.

        I post my gedcom file to rootsweb, but I intentionally leave off sources and notes. I also don't allow anyone to download my gedcom file. I make a disclaimer that I am willing to share, but I want to open a dialog with others so they can help me. When I do open that dialog, I give them a gedcom file of the lines they are interested in with all my notes and sources and I ask for further information.

        Thus far this has worked well for me. I have reaped the rewards of the work of others and they have also gained from my research. I have also made some email friends of these, my distant cousins.

        Leslie Vaughn

        On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...>wrote:

        > It is good to understand the difference between AQ and the Collaboration
        > Support component. You only install the Collaboration Support component
        > one time -- we have not had a need to update it in many, many years. The
        > main AQ program is constantly undergoing revisions and updates. As a
        > result, you will want to update the main program on a regular basis
        > (typically every few months, as adjustments are made.)
        >
        > So the very first time you install AQ on a computer, you install both AQ
        > and its collaboration piece (if you intend to use the Collaboration
        > feature), and from then on you only need to update with the Basic
        > installer to update the program.
        >
        > Gaylon
        >

        > sdcline1 wrote:
        > > When I upgrade to build 23 on Monday morning, why do I choose
        > AQ12-1Basic.exe if I use collaboration? Wouldn't I want to upgrade
        > collaboration as well?

      • emregister
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 26, 2010
          If you want to keep your ancestors for yourself to do the ordinances then
          reserve them for yourself. With AQ it only takes a moment and then only you
          can do the ordinances.

          Eric

          To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com

          On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@ancquest.
          <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> com>wrote:

          > It is good to understand the difference between AQ and the Collaboration
          > Support component. You only install the Collaboration Support component
          > one time -- we have not had a need to update it in many, many years. The
          > main AQ program is constantly undergoing revisions and updates. As a
          > result, you will want to update the main program on a regular basis
          > (typically every few months, as adjustments are made.)
          >
          > So the very first time you install AQ on a computer, you install both AQ
          > and its collaboration piece (if you intend to use the Collaboration
          > feature), and from then on you only need to update with the Basic
          > installer to update the program.
          >
          > Gaylon
          >

          > sdcline1 wrote:
          > > When I upgrade to build 23 on Monday morning, why do I choose
          > AQ12-1Basic.exe if I use collaboration? Wouldn't I want to upgrade
          > collaboration as well?

        • emregister
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 26, 2010
            nFS gives us the ability to correct those records but we must do the work.
            It does not happen by magic. That is the strength of nFS. These nFS
            records are neither yours nor mine but they are ours and they are public.
            If you want to keep these to yourself, don't add to nFS and don't do any
            ordinances. Alternately add to nFS and reserve for yourself.

            Eric

            Eric & Marnie Abell

            Saanichton, BC Canada

            (250) 652 4616

            On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@ancquest.
            <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> com>wrote:

            > Alan:
            >
            > Are you talking about the Collaboration feature of AQ, or are you
            > talking about the open, public nature of NFS data?
            >
            > Gaylon
            >

            > Alan Whitcomb wrote:
            > > I am seriously not thrilled with the "collaboration" in nFS. Has anyone
            > had
            > > any good experiences with it? All my experiences are distant relatives
            > > poaching my direct line ancestors.
            > >
            > > I am sincere about my question if anyone has had good experiences with
            > > "collaboration".
            > >
            > > My issue is not one with AQ, but there seems to be no following
            > established
            > > guidlines.
            > >
            > > Alan
            > >
            > > On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@ancquest.
            <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> com<gfindlay%40ancquest.com>
            > >wrote:
            > >

            > >> It is good to understand the difference between AQ and the
            Collaboration
            > >> Support component. You only install the Collaboration Support component
            > >> one time -- we have not had a need to update it in many, many years.
            The
            > >> main AQ program is constantly undergoing revisions and updates. As a
            > >> result, you will want to update the main program on a regular basis
            > >> (typically every few months, as adjustments are made.)
            > >>
            > >> So the very first time you install AQ on a computer, you install both
            AQ
            > >> and its collaboration piece (if you intend to use the Collaboration
            > >> feature), and from then on you only need to update with the Basic
            > >> installer to update the program.
            > >>
            > >> Gaylon

            > >> AQ12-1Basic.exe if I use collaboration? Wouldn't I want to upgrade
            > >> collaboration as well?

          • Richard Rands
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 26, 2010
              Poaching??? I haven't heard a better expression
              yet that captures the LDS attitude about temple
              work. What makes the ancestors on your pedigree yours alone?

              Richard Rands

              At 01:24 PM 3/26/2010 -0700, you wrote:

              >If you want to keep your ancestors for yourself to do the ordinances then
              >reserve them for yourself. With AQ it only takes a moment and then only you
              >can do the ordinances.
              >
              >Eric
              >
              >To: <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [AQ_NFS] What good is Collaboration in nFS?
              >
              >I am seriously not thrilled with the "collaboration" in nFS. Has anyone had
              >any good experiences with it? All my experiences are distant relatives
              >poaching my direct line ancestors.
              >
              >I am sincere about my question if anyone has had good experiences with
              >"collaboration".
              >
              >My issue is not one with AQ, but there seems to be no following established
              >guidlines.
              >
              >Alan
              >
              >On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@ancquest.
              ><mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> com>wrote:
              >

              > > It is good to understand the difference between AQ and the Collaboration
              > > Support component. You only install the Collaboration Support component
              > > one time -- we have not had a need to update it in many, many years. The
              > > main AQ program is constantly undergoing revisions and updates. As a
              > > result, you will want to update the main program on a regular basis
              > > (typically every few months, as adjustments are made.)
              > >
              > > So the very first time you install AQ on a computer, you install both AQ
              > > and its collaboration piece (if you intend to use the Collaboration
              > > feature), and from then on you only need to update with the Basic
              > > installer to update the program.
              > >
              > > Gaylon
              > >

              > > sdcline1 wrote:
              > > > When I upgrade to build 23 on Monday morning, why do I choose
              > > AQ12-1Basic.exe if I use collaboration? Wouldn't I want to upgrade
              > > collaboration as well?

            • Alan Whitcomb
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 26, 2010
                Thank you, I will let this thread die. It's my fault for submitting to the
                Pedigree Resource File and encouraging in my Branch to do so.

                True, the names are public, so I guess we can choose any name in a past
                record and do that work. Funny I would have thought it might be nice to do
                the work for my grandmother's siblings, rather than a first cousin once
                removed to them.

                But again.. I will let this thread die. I have learned my lesson, and
                submit and reserve at the same time new information I find.

                Alan

                On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM, emregister <emregister@...> wrote:

                > nFS gives us the ability to correct those records but we must do the work.
                > It does not happen by magic. That is the strength of nFS. These nFS
                > records are neither yours nor mine but they are ours and they are public.
                > If you want to keep these to yourself, don't add to nFS and don't do any
                > ordinances. Alternately add to nFS and reserve for yourself.
                >
                > Eric

              • Jim Light
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 26, 2010
                  Alan,

                  I have read the several replies to your message, and I just wanted to add
                  that I have had excellent experiences with the "collaboration" capabilities
                  of nFS. Because of it I have not only met some wonderful distant cousins
                  on-line, I have had the pleasure of meeting some of them in person, and we
                  have been sharing our research, and through that getting the temple work
                  done for many, many of our ancestors. Two of these cousins and I cover
                  three of the five children of an ancestor born in Brooklyn in 1740. Maybe
                  my cousins and I are just cooperative people, but we openly share this
                  information and also take the responsibility to get the work done for those
                  who are in our direct lines back to this ancestor.

                  I couldn't be more thrilled.

                  Jim

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 27, 2010
                    I have had similar experiences. I have also been able to contact people when I see that our information conflicts and we compare sources and come to a consensus and one of us takes out the wrong information.

                    I think that most people who use nFS are interested in sharing and comparing and learning from each other.

                    About the subject of who is entitled to do work for the deceased: a direct descendant or that 2nd cousin once removed. As long as we abide by the 95 year rule, I think we are good to go no matter our relationship.

                    One of you out there can probably quote the article and the author which I cannot do, but there has been recent articles in the Ensign about going searching out all the descendants of an ancestor and doing the temple work. This would mean 4th or 5th cousins 3 times removed.

                    Leslie