Re: [AQ_NFS] reserving and submitting names to temples and printing FORs

    Message 1 of 28 , May 7, 2009
      Eric:

      In a word, yes.

      Unfortunately, the FamilySearch system didn't allow ordinance
      reservations when AQ became the first product to synchronize local data
      with nFS. They made that available just shortly before RootsMagic was
      released, so RM was able to fit that in. We have been working for some
      time on a feature that will allow the reservation and tracking of
      ordinances, and hope to have it available soon.

      Gaylon

      register wrote:
      > Gaylon,
      >

      > People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.
      >

      > The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
      > like an interesting feature.
      >

      > RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
      > reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name cards
      > using new FamilySearch Web services.
      >

      > Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
      > same sort of thing?
      >

      > Eric

    • register
      Message 2 of 28 , May 7, 2009
        Gaylon,

        That is good news. I will get the information to our staff.

        Eric

        Eric & Marnie Abell

        Saanichton, BC, Canada

        (250) 652 4616

        register wrote:
        > Gaylon,
        >

        > People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.
        >

        > The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
        > like an interesting feature.
        >

        > RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
        > reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name
        cards
        > using new FamilySearch Web services.
        >

        > Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
        > same sort of thing?
        >

        > Eric

      • register
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 23 5:06 AM
          When I ask AQ to review an individual in FS I get a display that gives me,
          among other things, the NFS ID. It also lets me know how may other IDs
          exist. Let us say 21.

          If I go into nFS and look at the numbers of records hat have been combined
          for the same person I get a difference count - say 17.

          If I us AQ to do some additional searching and find another duplicate and
          then combine these the numbers referred to above will change to 22 and 18.

          My problem is that I expected these two numbers to be the same. That is, if
          17 records have been combined then AQ would show me that there were 16 other
          IDs. That is, the current record ID and 16 others to get 17.

          Why the apparent discrepancy between nFS and AQ?

        • Stewart Millar
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 23 6:37 AM
            I have the same issue appearing in my checks between AQ and nFS.

            The smaller numbers 2,3,4 duplicates do agree - but with some of the bigger
            numbers I have the problem - AQ says 15 Other ID's and yet the nFS combined
            records says 12 combined records.

            A possibility that I have not yet had the time (or patience) to check is
            ---- I wonder if any one of the 12 combined records in nFS is itself a
            combined record of a further 3 records that would make the AQ number agree
            with nFS. If what I have suggested is a possibility, then when there is a
            difference, the AQ number should always be bigger than the nFS number.

            === Stewart

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 23 8:02 AM
                When AQ accesses a record from nFS, it is given a list of all the nFS
                IDs by which that record has been known. AQ simply counts these and
                displays that number, minus the current number, as the number displayed
                is meant to convey "Other" IDs, not "Total" IDs. You will often see a
                count of 0 when you look at a record that has never been combined with
                another record.

                I don't know the full set of rules for when nFS creates a new ID for a
                person, but I believe you could have a situation like this:

                Bob Smith - ID1
                Bob Smith - ID2
                Robert Smith - ID3

                When you combine ID1 and ID2, you end up with:

                Bob Smith - ID4 (Includes ID1 and ID2)
                Robert Smith - ID3

                Then when you combine ID4 and ID3, you en up with:

                Robert (Bob) Smith - ID5 (Includes ID1, ID2, ID3 and ID4)

                So nFS's "Combined Records" screen for ID5 would show 3 original
                records. But AQ's display of Other IDs for ID5 would show 4 other IDs.

                Both displays are accurate. nFS is not showing you all the IDs by which
                the person can be accessed -- it is showing the original records. AQ is
                showing a count of other IDs. Actual original records would often be
                somewhat fewer.

                Hope this helps.

                Gaylon