Build 23

  • sdcline1
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 26, 2010
      When I upgrade to build 23 on Monday morning, why do I choose AQ12-1Basic.exe if I use collaboration? Wouldn't I want to upgrade collaboration as well?
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 26, 2010
        It is good to understand the difference between AQ and the Collaboration
        Support component. You only install the Collaboration Support component
        one time -- we have not had a need to update it in many, many years. The
        main AQ program is constantly undergoing revisions and updates. As a
        result, you will want to update the main program on a regular basis
        (typically every few months, as adjustments are made.)

        So the very first time you install AQ on a computer, you install both AQ
        and its collaboration piece (if you intend to use the Collaboration
        feature), and from then on you only need to update with the Basic
        installer to update the program.

        Gaylon

        sdcline1 wrote:
        > When I upgrade to build 23 on Monday morning, why do I choose AQ12-1Basic.exe if I use collaboration? Wouldn't I want to upgrade collaboration as well?

      • SD Cline
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 26, 2010
          Thanks Gaylon, I did not understand this. Now I do!

          S. Douglas Cline

          Executive Vice President

          Brown and Young Companies

          801 572-3060 (office)

          801 560-2340 (Mobile)

          clinesd@...

          _____

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 31, 2010
            Can someone tell me what the criteria is for the changes when we use the check for changes feature under the Familysearch menu.

            I have been using it for sometime and I do get changes but I also get a lot of individuals that I cannot see any changes and I see the same individuals in my check for changes list that I see every time I pull it up.

            This is what I am trying to do:

            I submit names for temple work that I have the temple do. I also submit names for temple work that I want to do myself.

            After the youth in my ward to the Baptism and Confirmation for those that I select for me to do, I send the cards out to relatives and friends to do the work in their local temples. I keep some of the cards to do myself. I know which ones I have.

            There are some names in my data base that others who I don't know have reserved the names for ordinances but the work is not yet done.

            In the ordinance place for those individuals I put submitted.

            When I select the check for changes I use the filter to select those individuals that show submitted in any ordinance date.

            I would expect changes if ordinance work has been done. I would also expect any changes if others have added or changed any information on an individual. Yet day after day I see the same individuals with no changes at all that I can tell.

            Example for today.

            I select the filter for any ordinance date equals submitted. I get 315 names (remember some of these are reserved by others)

            I select check for changes and I get 42 individuals. These same 42 have been on this list since I have been using the list and I see no changes.

            Yesterday I had 58 and some did have changes but the same 42 are there.

            Last week I had 92 and some did have changes but the same 42 are there.

            Some individuals drift back and forth--sometimes they are on the list and sometimes they are not. Sometimes I will have 115 and I check them all and I see no changes. Then I try the next day and there will be 93 and perhaps 4 will have changed. But the ones that remain on my list have never been off that I can remember.

            Some of these 42 are represented with cards that I have in my hand so I know that no temple ordinances have occurred.

            One individual stands out. This person was reserved by someone else quite sometime ago. I contacted that person to see if she wanted help doing the ordinance. She said she was waiting for confirming information before she actually does the work. Nothing has changed on this person in months and months.

            Oops, now I pulled the report and there are 48 individuals. I doubt that 6 have changed in the last 10 minutes.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 31, 2010
              Leslie:

              Each time a change is made to a record in NFS, FamilySearch changes a
              version number stored for that record. When you initially link a person,
              AQ records the current version number for that record. If you check for
              changes, and the NFS version number hasn't changed, then AQ reports that
              the record is the same. If the version number on the NFS record is
              different, then AQ reports that the record has changed. AQ has no way of
              knowing *what* has changed, just that *something* has changed. It could
              be that somebody has combined yet another duplicate with this record out
              on NFS, or yet another person weighed in with the same birth date, or
              perhaps somebody finally added the correct death information.

              AQ's "Check for Changes" capability simply notifies you whether
              something has changed based on the fact that NFS changed the version #
              for the NFS record.

              Gaylon

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 31, 2010
                Thanks for the reply. I thought there might be something like that.

                Does this mean that every time I see the same people on the change list that a change occurred since the last time I checked it? I can check for changes and go thru and review those on the list and then run the list 10 minutes later and the same people are on it.

                I would think that by reviewing it that would be enough to keep it from showing on the list until another change occurs.

                Is there some way of telling on nFS when and what the last changes occurred?

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 31, 2010
                  Leslie:

                  I seem to remember that we added the ability for AQ to update the
                  version number in the local file each time you review the individual. It
                  is possible that we broke that when we replaced the old NFS code with
                  the new NFS code for this latest release.

                  When you are reviewing the list of changed records, there are options
                  for marking certain records as having been reviewed, so they will not
                  come up on the list again unless another change was made.

                  Gaylon

                • emregister
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1 4:17 AM
                    Leslie,

                    I saw your original message at the bottom of other messages and I do not
                    remember seeing a reply that I felt answered your question. So let me try.
                    I, too, have difficulty making use of the 'check for changes'. However,
                    upon reading your message it sounds like one of the things you want to do is
                    track ordinances that are performed by others and ordinances that the youth
                    or people you give cards may do on your line.

                    I have the same issue. Most of the solution for me is to use the batch
                    feature and to 'review all' and to 'reconcile'. Now If I 'update all local
                    records' then my records will reflect the ordinance work that has been done.
                    As I make all of my reservations through AQ the system works for me and it
                    is very little work for me as I let AQ do all of the hard stuff.

                    My only complaint with the current system and a request for an enhancement
                    (although I may be missing something that is already there) is to give me a
                    way to remove from the batch, all records that have been completed and that
                    have been updated on my database.

                    Good luck with your temple work.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1 4:21 AM
                      I do the review, but they still show.

                      Thanks for the reply. You really should not be up that late doing this. We would understand waiting for a day or two to reply.

                      Leslie Vaughn wrote:
                      > Thanks for the reply. I thought there might be something like that.
                      >
                      > Does this mean that every time I see the same people on the change list that a change occurred since the last time I checked it? I can check for changes and go thru and review those on the list and then run the list 10 minutes later and the same people are on it.
                      >
                      > I would think that by reviewing it that would be enough to keep it from showing on the list until another change occurs.
                      >
                      > Is there some way of telling on nFS when and what the last changes occurred?
                      >

                      > Leslie

                    • emregister
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 1 4:27 AM
                        Thanks, Leslie, for your concern. However, I am not up late, I am up
                        early. Local time at the moment is 4:25 PDT. Victoria, British Columbia,
                        Canada.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 1 4:50 AM
                          As usual most "bugs" with any computer program including AQ are operator error.

                          I just did my check for changes and found the "same" individuals on the list that are always there.

                          Gaylon said that ANY change on nFS would be picked up, I was still concerned I was still seeing the same folks on my check for changes list with no apparent change.

                          Just now I went in and found my same list with a few extra added. The few extra were actual changes from the last time I had run the feature, but the same ones were there.

                          Then I noticed that sometimes as I was leaving that individual I would check the close button and sometimes the save. The only time I was checking the save button was when I was incorporating those changes into my data base. If I saw no change I was hitting close.

                          So I ran it again and this time hit save and voila--when I ran it immediately after, there are ZERO individuals there.

                          Bottom line: Hit save instead of close when you leave that individual when you complete your review. Sorry I wasted everyone's time.

                          So the moral of the story is probably to read the owners manual or take the tutorial as it probably is there.

                          Leslie

                          Leslie Vaughn wrote:
                          > Thanks for the reply. I thought there might be something like that.
                          >
                          > Does this mean that every time I see the same people on the change list that a change occurred since the last time I checked it? I can check for changes and go thru and review those on the list and then run the list 10 minutes later and the same people are on it.
                          >
                          > I would think that by reviewing it that would be enough to keep it from showing on the list until another change occurs.
                          >
                          > Is there some way of telling on nFS when and what the last changes occurred?
                          >

                          > Leslie

                        • emregister
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 1 5:01 AM
                            Leslie,

                            Not a waste of time. I have had the same problem and you have now solved
                            it. Any time I can learn something it is not a waste of time. Thanks.

                            Eric

                            To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com