RE: [AQ_NFS] Pruning Trees

  • Mary-Theresa Dameron
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2010
      Thanks for the information.

      Mary-Theresa Dameron

      From: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      Gaylon Findlay
      Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:05 PM
      To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] Pruning Trees

      Mary-Theresa:

      I take it that you are using the Advance Filtering capabilities to
      select "All Ancestral Related". Is that correct?

      Most of the time this works the way you would hope. However, if you have
      an inter-marriage between someone in your selected ancestral line and
      someone not in that line, then you will end up getting the same results
      as "All Related" -- which is often everyone in the file.

      When this happens, you need to delete your branch in smaller groups. For
      example, if I wanted to delete all of my father's line, but keep my
      mother's line, this is what we're dealing with:

      1) I select my father, and choose "All Ancestral Related". Because of an
      inter marriage between someone deeper down my father's line and someone
      in my mother's line, I end up with "All Related".
      2) So now I select my father's father and try "All Ancestral Related".
      This gives me good results on my grandfather's line, so I can delete
      that line.
      3) Now I select my father's mother and try "All Ancestral Related".
      Again, I get everyone. This means that the intermarriage is somewhere in
      her line.
      4) I repeat steps 2 and 3 above with the next generation -- pruning
      selected sub-branches of the tree -- to get around the point of
      intermarriage.
      5) At the end of this process you'll have deleted almost everyone in the
      branch that you had set out to delete -- there may be a handful of
      stragglers that you'll have to deal with individually or by family. If
      the intermarriage happened in a close generation, you may only have to
      repeat the steps above a couple of times. If it happens way down the
      line, you may have to repeat those steps more times.

      Hope this helps,

      Gaylon