Pruning Trees

  • Mary-Theresa Dameron
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2010
      I think I asked this once before, but my computer crashed and I don't have
      the instructions I kept. There is a branch of my tree that hasn't been
      proven and I want to delete it. However, when following AQ's instructions,
      it basically picks out everyone in the file. I have nearly 30,000 names and
      it isn't easy to pick and choose each one I don't want deleted. Is there a
      better way?

      Mary-Theresa Dameron

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2010
        Mary-Theresa:

        I take it that you are using the Advance Filtering capabilities to
        select "All Ancestral Related". Is that correct?

        Most of the time this works the way you would hope. However, if you have
        an inter-marriage between someone in your selected ancestral line and
        someone not in that line, then you will end up getting the same results
        as "All Related" -- which is often everyone in the file.

        When this happens, you need to delete your branch in smaller groups. For
        example, if I wanted to delete all of my father's line, but keep my
        mother's line, this is what we're dealing with:

        1) I select my father, and choose "All Ancestral Related". Because of an
        inter marriage between someone deeper down my father's line and someone
        in my mother's line, I end up with "All Related".
        2) So now I select my father's father and try "All Ancestral Related".
        This gives me good results on my grandfather's line, so I can delete
        that line.
        3) Now I select my father's mother and try "All Ancestral Related".
        Again, I get everyone. This means that the intermarriage is somewhere in
        her line.
        4) I repeat steps 2 and 3 above with the next generation -- pruning
        selected sub-branches of the tree -- to get around the point of
        intermarriage.
        5) At the end of this process you'll have deleted almost everyone in the
        branch that you had set out to delete -- there may be a handful of
        stragglers that you'll have to deal with individually or by family. If
        the intermarriage happened in a close generation, you may only have to
        repeat the steps above a couple of times. If it happens way down the
        line, you may have to repeat those steps more times.

        Hope this helps,

        Gaylon

        Mary-Theresa Dameron wrote:
        > I think I asked this once before, but my computer crashed and I don't have
        > the instructions I kept. There is a branch of my tree that hasn't been
        > proven and I want to delete it. However, when following AQ's instructions,
        > it basically picks out everyone in the file. I have nearly 30,000 names and
        > it isn't easy to pick and choose each one I don't want deleted. Is there a
        > better way?
        >

        > Mary-Theresa Dameron

      • Mary-Theresa Dameron
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 25, 2010