Re: [AQ_NFS] Switching OFF nFS --- Attention Gaylon & any Incline staff

    Message 1 of 48 , Mar 2, 2010
      Stewart:

      Thank you for the report. You are correct, this (the temple icons
      showing) is something that needs to be fixed. I just checked out Eric's
      work-around, and it appears to work. In order to turn on the temple
      icons, someone at the computer has to log in to NFS before that option
      is available, so this situation should be very rare outside of a FHC.

      Let me address your second issue. I believe that normally, a single user
      wants most preferences to apply to all his/her files. Whether I'm
      working on my file, or a file of a relative, I'd just as soon see the
      same information displayed the same way, with the same color scheme,
      fonts, icons, etc. I can see that if AQ is installed on a public
      computer -- like in a library or a FHC, that each user may want
      different preferences. We'll have to give this some thought.

      In the meantime, a lot of FHCs 'clean' their computers often -- meaning
      they remove databases, or perform a process that completely refreshes
      the computer. A complete refresh would presumably set AQ's preferences
      to initial settings. If a FHC staff member would include deleting the
      preferences file for AQ when the databases are flushed, then this would
      set AQ to a default state for at least the first person to use the
      computer after such a cleaning.

      Gaylon

      Stewart Millar wrote:
      > This is one for either mailing lists . . . . .
      >

      > In helping someone else . . . . . . having started with LDS data & link to
      > nFS switched ON . . . . . .as this is for a non LDS member, we switched OFF
      > the LDS data and switched OFF any links to nFS.
      >

      > This successfully dropped any access/links to LDS data and nFS - including
      > the temple icons indicating the state of ordinances ---- everything seemed
      > OK.
      >

      > However ---- on the Pedigree View, for individuals that would qualify for
      > Temple work, the temple icon is still showing --- but not in the Family
      > View.
      >

      > This would seem to a fault that needs fixing.
      >

      > A second follow up question to this incident is that - the "Preferences" set
      > for any AQ database (as in LDS&FS/no LDS&FS) --- apply to any AQ database on
      > the pc --- they are not specific for the single database being worked on.
      > This gives me an overhead of having to switch these settings when I switch
      > between databases that are LDS biased and those that are not. Could not
      > these preferences be set to only apply to the specific database?
      >

      > === Stewart

    • emregister
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 2, 2010
        It can be a problem at a FHC when users run AQ and it is not as they expect.
        Our solution was

        1. We defined the preferences and other things as we would like to have
        them.
        2. We wrote a batch file and placed it on every computer.
        3. We placed the preferred AQ on one computer
        4. We created a desktop icon that will run the batch file.
        5. The batch file loads AQ on the computer and runs AQ.
        6. Now a patron can modify the preferences any way he/she wishes. The
        next time the program is run it will revert to our selected preferences.
        7. If we want to change any of the 'standard' preferences we need only
        change our master file.