RE: [AQ_NFS] Standardized place names

  • Stewart Millar
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 22, 2010
      How about a submission yesterday with no "standardised" place names in use.

      === Stewart

      From: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
      Of
      Gunilla Manell
      Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 7:17 AM
      To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>

      Has anyone tried the Help Center in new FamilySearch?

      Under most common questions, I found this:

      Must I choose a standardized place-name?

      A standardized place-name does the following:

      * Makes it easier to search and sort data.
      * Helps to put places on the Map feature.
      * Is often more complete and accurate.
      * Is essential for qualifying a name for temple ordinances. A
      standardized place of death is required (at least the country).

      When you type in a place-name, a list of possible standardized names will
      appear:

      * If you recognize the place you want, click on that standardized
      name.
      * If you do not recognize the place you want, enter the most accurate
      and complete place-name that you know, and click the Esc key. This will keep
      the information you entered.

      /Gunilla

      From: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
      <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
      [mailto:AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
      From: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
      From: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 2, 2010
        It can be a problem at a FHC when users run AQ and it is not as they expect.
        Our solution was

        1. We defined the preferences and other things as we would like to have
        them.
        2. We wrote a batch file and placed it on every computer.
        3. We placed the preferred AQ on one computer
        4. We created a desktop icon that will run the batch file.
        5. The batch file loads AQ on the computer and runs AQ.
        6. Now a patron can modify the preferences any way he/she wishes. The
        next time the program is run it will revert to our selected preferences.
        7. If we want to change any of the 'standard' preferences we need only
        change our master file.