RE: [AQ_NFS] Standardized place names

  • emregister
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 20, 2010
      I guess I would just like to know the standardized name before synching or
      without being connected to the internet and FS.

      Eric

      _NFS@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gaylon Findlay
      Sent: February 20, 2010 11:26 AM
      To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] Standardized place names

      If you're in one of the screens that show local information on the left,
      and NFS data on the right, you can typically click on any piece of
      information -- names of relatives, events, etc, and AQ will give you
      more details.

      Here's a specific example. Select a person who is linked to NFS. Go to
      the FamilySearch menu and click on "Review Individual". You'll now be
      looking at one of these types of screens. On this screen, down at the
      bottom, there is a checkbox for, "Show Hints" -- if this box is checked,
      you'll see a magnifying glass next to names and events. With or without
      the magnifying glasses, you can click on a name, date or place on the
      FamilySearch side and see more details. In a screen like the Family Sync
      screen, you can click on names of relatives to see more details about
      the relatives.

      Typically, when I click on an event that might show, "25 Dec 1969,
      Provo, Utah", I will see that the standardized place is "Provo, Utah,
      Utah, United States".

      Gaylon

      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 2, 2010
        It can be a problem at a FHC when users run AQ and it is not as they expect.
        Our solution was

        1. We defined the preferences and other things as we would like to have
        them.
        2. We wrote a batch file and placed it on every computer.
        3. We placed the preferred AQ on one computer
        4. We created a desktop icon that will run the batch file.
        5. The batch file loads AQ on the computer and runs AQ.
        6. Now a patron can modify the preferences any way he/she wishes. The
        next time the program is run it will revert to our selected preferences.
        7. If we want to change any of the 'standard' preferences we need only
        change our master file.