Standardized place names.

  • emregister
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 20, 2010

      The pull down is useful but it lists the names I have entered. It does not
      give me the standardized place names.

      .com [mailto:AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gaylon Findlay
      Sent: February 20, 2010 9:49 AM
      To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] Standardized place names

      Eric:

      Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you click on the NFS event in
      AQ, it brings up a screen with more information about the event,
      including notes, sources, and the standardized versions of the date and
      place.

      Gaylon

      emregister wrote:
      > Is there a site where I can check for standardized place names? If I have
      > name in AQ I have no way to know if it is standardized. Sure, I can go to
      > FS and try it out but that is more trouble than it is worth. I am hoping
      > for a better solution.
      >

      > Eric

    • emregister
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 2, 2010
        It can be a problem at a FHC when users run AQ and it is not as they expect.
        Our solution was

        1. We defined the preferences and other things as we would like to have
        them.
        2. We wrote a batch file and placed it on every computer.
        3. We placed the preferred AQ on one computer
        4. We created a desktop icon that will run the batch file.
        5. The batch file loads AQ on the computer and runs AQ.
        6. Now a patron can modify the preferences any way he/she wishes. The
        next time the program is run it will revert to our selected preferences.
        7. If we want to change any of the 'standard' preferences we need only
        change our master file.