RE: [AQ_NFS] Standardized place names

  • emregister
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 20, 2010
      Thanks Leslie,

      However, I have tried the labs site and found no useful information. I
      entered place names I know but with, perhaps, an abbreviation and it did not
      help. Am I using it incorrectly?

      Try Edmonton, AB, Canada and see if there is anything useful.

      Eric

      Eric To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] Standardized place names

      labs.familysearch.com has a section on standardized place names.

      It is called standard finder

      here is the link:

      http://204.9. <http://204.9.231.95/stdfinder/PlaceStandardLookup.jsp>
      231.95/stdfinder/PlaceStandardLookup.jsp

      Leslie

      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 2, 2010
        It can be a problem at a FHC when users run AQ and it is not as they expect.
        Our solution was

        1. We defined the preferences and other things as we would like to have
        them.
        2. We wrote a batch file and placed it on every computer.
        3. We placed the preferred AQ on one computer
        4. We created a desktop icon that will run the batch file.
        5. The batch file loads AQ on the computer and runs AQ.
        6. Now a patron can modify the preferences any way he/she wishes. The
        next time the program is run it will revert to our selected preferences.
        7. If we want to change any of the 'standard' preferences we need only
        change our master file.