Re: link problem what's going on

  • terryhawkes62
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
      Hi Gaylon,

      I'm somewhat new and have been using the latest build (22) of AQ and so after reading your suggestion to see if Caching of NFS is disabled, I checked to see how mine was set since I'm using a fresh copy of AQ build 22 on a machine where no previous version was installed. Also note that this is a portable copy of AQ that I'm checking the Cache setting, but since portable copies are just a copy of the Original installed folder of AQ I wouldn't think is should make a difference for this setting.

      My Cache setting was enabled. So by default, even with build 22, Caching for NFS is already turned on. Is it your advice that everyone should disable it?

      If so, future versions/builds of AQ should have it disabled by default, or perhaps even remove it from the preferences all together if caching shouldn't be enabled anymore due to the problems you explained can happen.

      Larry H.

      --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

      > Eric:
      >
      > Please make sure of two things:
      >
      > 1) Are you running the latest build (22)?
      >
      > 2) Do you have Caching of NFS data disabled? (Under the "FamilySearch"
      > tab of Preferences)
      >
      > For the first year of AQ working with NFS, AQ could cache the
      > information it got from NFS and reuse it later, because NFS would alert
      > AQ when any change was made to the person. If a change was made, AQ
      > would refresh its information from NFS rather than use the cached copy.
      > But sometime around either the May or August release of NFS, they
      > stopped alerting AQ when certain changes to the family were made, so AQ
      > would be misled into using old data on relationships. In later builds,
      > we removed most of the caching. This significantly slows down AQ's
      > access to NFS, but it also guarantees that you'll be getting current
      > relationship information.
      >
      > My best guess from your description is that AQ is still using an old
      > cached copy of information on this family, and you'll need to force it
      > to read current information by disabling the cache.
      >
      > Gaylon
      >

      > emregister wrote:
      > > Jane and Dick have 2 children, Sally and Tom.
      > >
      > > All are synced.
      > >
      > > If I review Jane and check spouses and children then Sally does not appear
      > > in the FS column, I click to add and search and all that and it looks good -
      > > until I again review and there has been no change.
      > >
      > > If I review Dick and check for spouses and children then Sally does appear
      > > and all looks good.
      > >
      > > Back to review Jane etc. and Sally still does not appear.
      > >
      > > If I review Sally and then parents and siblings the family is complete.
      > >

      > > I have tried unlinking Sally and starting over but the results are the same.
      > >
      > > I have checked and rebuilt my data base but the results are the same.
      > >

      > > Any ideas?
      > >

      > > Eric

      > > 23:32:00

    • emregister
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
        Gaylon, if you are looking at preferences to make defaults I have 2
        suggestions:

        Have the change log on by default.

        When converting databases there is an option to preserve RIN numbers. It
        would be nice if the default was to preserve these.

        Eric

        --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups. <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com> com, Gaylon
        Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

        > Eric:
        >
        > Please make sure of two things:
        >
        > 1) Are you running the latest build (22)?
        >
        > 2) Do you have Caching of NFS data disabled? (Under the "FamilySearch"
        > tab of Preferences)
        >
        > For the first year of AQ working with NFS, AQ could cache the
        > information it got from NFS and reuse it later, because NFS would alert
        > AQ when any change was made to the person. If a change was made, AQ
        > would refresh its information from NFS rather than use the cached copy.
        > But sometime around either the May or August release of NFS, they
        > stopped alerting AQ when certain changes to the family were made, so AQ
        > would be misled into using old data on relationships. In later builds,
        > we removed most of the caching. This significantly slows down AQ's
        > access to NFS, but it also guarantees that you'll be getting current
        > relationship information.
        >
        > My best guess from your description is that AQ is still using an old
        > cached copy of information on this family, and you'll need to force it
        > to read current information by disabling the cache.
        >
        > Gaylon
        >

        > emregister wrote:
        > > Jane and Dick have 2 children, Sally and Tom.
        > >
        > > All are synced.
        > >
        > > If I review Jane and check spouses and children then Sally does not
        appear
        > > in the FS column, I click to add and search and all that and it looks
        good -
        > > until I again review and there has been no change.
        > >
        > > If I review Dick and check for spouses and children then Sally does
        appear
        > > and all looks good.
        > >
        > > Back to review Jane etc. and Sally still does not appear.
        > >
        > > If I review Sally and then parents and siblings the family is complete.
        > >

        > > I have tried unlinking Sally and starting over but the results are the
        same.

        > > I have checked and rebuilt my data base but the results are the same.
        > >

        > > Any ideas?
        > >

        > > Eric

        12/02/09
        > > 23:32:00

      • emregister
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
          I search and get a list of changed records.

          I review each record in turn.

          I again search and get a list of changed records.

          The records I have already reviewed are still on the list.

          Help. I am having nothing but difficulty with this feature.

          Eric

          Eric & Marnie Abell

          Saanichton, BC Canada

          (250) 652 4616

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2010
              I have noticed exactly the same thing! In fact, I have stopped using the
              option because it makes no sense to me. I will be glad to hear the answer
              if someone has it.

              S. Douglas Cline

              Executive Vice President

              Brown and Young Companies