Corrupted File?

  • mintongen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2010
      I am in a bit of a panic. I am using release 12.1. with Windows Vista. I added an existing father w/ mother, but each time I went back to the son, the parents would disappear. When I go to the Descendants Report, it shows the connection. When I Search the son, no parents, but the son is listed under the parents! I tried re-attaching several times, closed out of the file, clicked update relationship indicators, etc. I did a Check, but not a Check and Repair; and the Check Report showed (3) errors. Only one error was actually listed on the Check report, a marriage not related to the above son/parents problem; and I can't see anything wrong w/ this reported marriage.

      I attempted to back-up my file prior to doing a Check and Repair. I used both the PAF and the AQ options. Using AQ I get a message that the zip file created is not supported by my program. Using PAF, I can't even find the new back-up.

      I think that I have accurately reported this. I've used AQ for several years, not doing anything particularly fancy, but I've never had any problems. I don't know if it makes a difference but I have 2,628 individuals entered in this file, with only 2-3 pictures, etc. I have stupidly not done a back-up for quite some time. I did just make a copy.

      Thank you in advance for anyone who might assist me.
    • Mike St. Clair
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2010
        I'm struggling to find an effective way to pick up completed SP/SS
        information from new FamilySearch with Ancestral Quest. The other
        ordinance information is easy with automatic syncronization. But I cannot
        find any way to pick up the SP/SS info without manually doing them one
        individual at a time. Am I missing something obvious?

        Mike St. Clair
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2010
          I don't like the way AQ does do the sealings but you can do it easier than you are doing it.

          When you select an individual to review on nFS go to the bottom of the review screen and select spouse and children or parents and siblings. There you will see your local file on the left and the right side will be the nFS information. There will be a little plus sign by the parent's names. Click on that and it opens the family. You can sync the sealing ordinances from this view. Similarly to individual review you will have to click on each the radio for each individual sealings or marriage dates but you can do a whole family in one screen.

          Hope this works for you

          Leslie

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 25, 2010
            Leslie:

            And there are yet 2 more ways to transfer the sealings from NFS to local:

            1) When you are initially matching the person, if you find that a
            matching NFS person has the sealings and your AQ/PAF database does not,
            there is an "LDS" button at the bottom of the screen. That LDS button
            will let you select both the local and NFS spouses and parents, then
            select the appropriate sealings. This button will only appear if you
            have selected the option to view LDS ordinances while matching, in the
            FamilySearch tab of Preferences.

            2) When you are on the "Reserve Ordinances/Create Batches" screen of the
            ORTS, there is an "Ordinances" button. It will bring up the same screen
            as mentioned above. So if you click on the LDS temple icon of the
            Pedigree or Family view, AQ will put this individual on the list of this
            screen, and you can coordinate LDS ordinances from there.

            The reason this seems a little harder than you'd like is that AQ will
            not assume that any sealing to any spouse in NFS is OK for the
            particular spouse in your local file. Just as NFS has tabs for
            individual details vs Parents/Siblings vs Spouses/Children, AQ has
            similar tabs, where you can line up the NFS families with the AQ/PAF
            families. Once a family is lined up, indicating that you approve that
            the local family is the same as the NFS family, then you can trade
            relationship data between the two families. We could simplify the
            process on the "Review Individual with NFS" screen by making the screen
            more complex -- if we let you deal with
            parents/spouses/siblings/children all on the same screen with the
            individual detail information, which is what I think you would prefer,
            it would require AQ to read all of these relatives before you could work
            with this screen, and that would make you wait quite a bit longer each
            time you review an individual, just to load data that quite often you
            are not interested in.

            Possibly the most efficient way to transfer LDS ordinances from NFS to
            local records would be to:

            1) Open up the Ordinance Reservation and Tracking System, and go to
            "Reserve Ordinances"
            2) Click on the Add button, then go to the Advanced Filter/Focus option
            3) Select a group of people you'd like to check for ordinances -- keep
            the list manageable, perhaps only 40-50 at a time. You probably want to
            include a field filter of "Qualified for ..." as part of finding the
            records to work with.
            4) For anybody who is already linked, use the "Ordinances" button to
            review and update local ordinances. Then remove these people from the list.
            5) For the remaining records on this list, use the Group Link option. As
            you link these unlinked individuals, use the "LDS" tab mentioned above
            to update the ordinances on those people.
            6) Now that you've cleaned up this group, remove the records from this
            screen
            7) Repeat steps 2-6 for additional groups.

            Gaylon