RE: [AQ_NFS] New Feature Test CRASHED !!!! not so good news

  • register
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 14, 2009
      Good idea. It worked. Thank you.

      I have now switched back to the patched version 04/13

      /2009 and I cannot cause the double click to fail. Go figure.

      Eric

      Eric:

      Without digging into why you can't open another file, there are a couple
      of suggestions:

      1) Use "My Computer" to locate another file when you are not running AQ,
      then double-click on the file
      2) If it is a PAF file, open it in PAF, then use the Tools menu of PAF
      to start AQ
      3) Delete your "ancquest.ini" file. This is the file that remembers
      which file you were last using (along with your other preferences). Once
      you delete it, AQ will act like you are running it for the first time.
      You'll be able to open any other file from the File|Open menu. (The
      "ancquest.ini" file sits in a folder recommended by Microsoft, and it is
      different for XP than for Vista. If in XP, it should be in "c:\Documents
      and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest".)

      Gaylon

      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
        When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk following
        the name. What does this signify?

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
          Eric:

          If you view the same person in the nFS screens, do you see the asterisk
          there? I don't believe AQ puts an asterisk on a name, so it is probably
          part of the name.

          Gaylon

          register wrote:
          > When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk following
          > the name. What does this signify?
          >

          > Eric

        • register
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
            Thanks, I will watch and record the name next time. Any chance of AQ
            providing a list of all symbols used? I am thinking primarily about symbols
            I see in front of names when checking spouses and children. Some boxes have
            dot - that I found in the help screens. But some are greyed and some are
            darker grey and some of the dots are now equal signs. In front of some of
            the names there appears a '>'. I list would help - I can find no reference
            to these in the help area.

            register wrote:
            > When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk
            following
            > the name. What does this signify?
            >

            > Eric

          • ronaldtilby
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 24, 2009
              Eric, An asterisk at the end of a name in NFS is probably carried forward from a transcription of a Family Group Sheet. In former times, some researchers would "tag" their direct ancestors with an asterisk at the end of their name on Family Group Sheets submitted for LDS Temple Ordinances.

              Regards,
              Ron Tilby
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                Hmmm. Depends on what you mean by easy. Since nFS stores notes per
                event, and AQ stores per person or marriage, there is not a one-to-one
                correlation. If you go to the "Review Individual" screen under the
                FamilySearch menu, you should see a summary of all nFS notes for an nFS
                person on that screen. If you then click on the "Notes" button on that
                screen, you'll see not only the summary of notes for the nFS person, but
                the notes for the local person. You can highlight notes, then use
                <Ctrl+C> to copy and <Ctrl+V> to paste notes between the nFS record and
                the local individual.

                Gaylon

                register wrote:
                > Is there an easy way to copy notes from nFS to my data?
                >

                > Eric

              • register
                Message 7 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                  Gaylon,

                  People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.

                  The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                  like an interesting feature.

                  RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                  reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name cards
                  using new FamilySearch Web services.

                  Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                  same sort of thing?

                • register
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                    To set up favourite sites is straight forward. To search these sites is not
                    - at least for me. If I could see the entire URL for the default locations
                    that would help but, alas, I cannot. Can anyone lend a hand or direct me to
                    a solution?

                    For example, I want to go directly to FamilySearch Record Search and search
                    for the selected name in the same fashion as Ancestry.com. I can go
                    directly to Record Search but cannot get the first and last names and search
                    to work.

                    Eric

                    .

                    <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=25229696/grpspId=1709334992/msgI
                    d=33/stime=1240069700/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                    Message 9 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                      Eric:

                      In a word, yes.

                      Unfortunately, the FamilySearch system didn't allow ordinance
                      reservations when AQ became the first product to synchronize local data
                      with nFS. They made that available just shortly before RootsMagic was
                      released, so RM was able to fit that in. We have been working for some
                      time on a feature that will allow the reservation and tracking of
                      ordinances, and hope to have it available soon.

                      Gaylon

                      register wrote:
                      > Gaylon,
                      >

                      > People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.
                      >

                      > The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                      > like an interesting feature.
                      >

                      > RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                      > reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name cards
                      > using new FamilySearch Web services.
                      >

                      > Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                      > same sort of thing?
                      >

                      > Eric

                    • register
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                        Gaylon,

                        That is good news. I will get the information to our staff.

                        Eric

                        Eric & Marnie Abell

                        Saanichton, BC, Canada

                        (250) 652 4616

                        register wrote:
                        > Gaylon,
                        >

                        > People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.
                        >

                        > The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                        > like an interesting feature.
                        >

                        > RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                        > reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name
                        cards
                        > using new FamilySearch Web services.
                        >

                        > Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                        > same sort of thing?
                        >

                        > Eric

                      • register
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                          When I ask AQ to review an individual in FS I get a display that gives me,
                          among other things, the NFS ID. It also lets me know how may other IDs
                          exist. Let us say 21.

                          If I go into nFS and look at the numbers of records hat have been combined
                          for the same person I get a difference count - say 17.

                          If I us AQ to do some additional searching and find another duplicate and
                          then combine these the numbers referred to above will change to 22 and 18.

                          My problem is that I expected these two numbers to be the same. That is, if
                          17 records have been combined then AQ would show me that there were 16 other
                          IDs. That is, the current record ID and 16 others to get 17.

                          Why the apparent discrepancy between nFS and AQ?

                        • Stewart Millar
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                            I have the same issue appearing in my checks between AQ and nFS.

                            The smaller numbers 2,3,4 duplicates do agree - but with some of the bigger
                            numbers I have the problem - AQ says 15 Other ID's and yet the nFS combined
                            records says 12 combined records.

                            A possibility that I have not yet had the time (or patience) to check is
                            ---- I wonder if any one of the 12 combined records in nFS is itself a
                            combined record of a further 3 records that would make the AQ number agree
                            with nFS. If what I have suggested is a possibility, then when there is a
                            difference, the AQ number should always be bigger than the nFS number.

                            === Stewart

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                                When AQ accesses a record from nFS, it is given a list of all the nFS
                                IDs by which that record has been known. AQ simply counts these and
                                displays that number, minus the current number, as the number displayed
                                is meant to convey "Other" IDs, not "Total" IDs. You will often see a
                                count of 0 when you look at a record that has never been combined with
                                another record.

                                I don't know the full set of rules for when nFS creates a new ID for a
                                person, but I believe you could have a situation like this:

                                Bob Smith - ID1
                                Bob Smith - ID2
                                Robert Smith - ID3

                                When you combine ID1 and ID2, you end up with:

                                Bob Smith - ID4 (Includes ID1 and ID2)
                                Robert Smith - ID3

                                Then when you combine ID4 and ID3, you en up with:

                                Robert (Bob) Smith - ID5 (Includes ID1, ID2, ID3 and ID4)

                                So nFS's "Combined Records" screen for ID5 would show 3 original
                                records. But AQ's display of Other IDs for ID5 would show 4 other IDs.

                                Both displays are accurate. nFS is not showing you all the IDs by which
                                the person can be accessed -- it is showing the original records. AQ is
                                showing a count of other IDs. Actual original records would often be
                                somewhat fewer.

                                Hope this helps.

                                Gaylon