Import of Unknown Data

  • tjwbtr
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
      I tried an import to my local AQ/PAF of several generations from nFS. The process errored out several times, but now that it's stopped running after HOURS, I can see that it seems to have imported all the data except for the names, which all now read "unknown." I thought I could correct this by syncing with NFS a family at a time and pulling in the names. This doesn't seem to be an option: it is already showing a link (dot in the box) for the individuals, and I'm worried if I click on "combine" that I will upload a bunch of unknown information to NFS. Any ideas how to correct this? Or how to make an import go more smoothly?

      Thank you!
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
        Check your version number. I don't remember now whether it was the May
        release of NFS or the August release, but a change in NFS caused AQ to
        have trouble with NFS names in some processes. Shortly after the NFS
        change, we made a change in AQ to compensate. If you have an older
        version of AQ 12.1, this would explain the problem. You need to update
        to the latest build. (Go to the "Internet" menu of AQ, then use the
        "Check for Latest AQ Release" to see if you are up to date.)

        To address your specific issue, I would:
        * update to the latest build of AQ, then
        * get your file back to the state it was in before the import of family
        lines (you should have made a backup at that time), and then
        * try the import again.

        One thing you should all be aware of is that NFS is constantly changing.
        The "November" release of NFS is due out any time. We've invited some
        users from this list to test the current version of AQ with the NFS
        changes that are currently undergoing a beta test. We don't expect any
        surprises when NFS puts out their new version sometime in the next few
        weeks, but once the new NFS is released, we may find we need to make
        emergency adjustments. If that happens, you might need to be ready to
        download a new build of AQ soon just to offset the changes in NFS. You
        should "Check for Latest AQ Release" every week or two, as your best
        method of being alerted to whether patches for changes in NFS are available.

        Gaylon

        tjwbtr wrote:
        > I tried an import to my local AQ/PAF of several generations from nFS. The process errored out several times, but now that it's stopped running after HOURS, I can see that it seems to have imported all the data except for the names, which all now read "unknown." I thought I could correct this by syncing with NFS a family at a time and pulling in the names. This doesn't seem to be an option: it is already showing a link (dot in the box) for the individuals, and I'm worried if I click on "combine" that I will upload a bunch of unknown information to NFS. Any ideas how to correct this? Or how to make an import go more smoothly?
        >
        > Thank you!

      • tjwbtr
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
          WONDERFUL information and gives me great hope. TY! However, when I try to check for latest AQ release, nothing happens. The "help" tab's "about" button indicates that I have a Feb 09 version, so I think this IS the problem, but I can't seem to get to the correct version.

          --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

          > Check your version number. I don't remember now whether it was the May
          > release of NFS or the August release, but a change in NFS caused AQ to
          > have trouble with NFS names in some processes. Shortly after the NFS
          > change, we made a change in AQ to compensate. If you have an older
          > version of AQ 12.1, this would explain the problem. You need to update
          > to the latest build. (Go to the "Internet" menu of AQ, then use the
          > "Check for Latest AQ Release" to see if you are up to date.)
          >
          > To address your specific issue, I would:
          > * update to the latest build of AQ, then
          > * get your file back to the state it was in before the import of family
          > lines (you should have made a backup at that time), and then
          > * try the import again.
          >
          > One thing you should all be aware of is that NFS is constantly changing.
          > The "November" release of NFS is due out any time. We've invited some
          > users from this list to test the current version of AQ with the NFS
          > changes that are currently undergoing a beta test. We don't expect any
          > surprises when NFS puts out their new version sometime in the next few
          > weeks, but once the new NFS is released, we may find we need to make
          > emergency adjustments. If that happens, you might need to be ready to
          > download a new build of AQ soon just to offset the changes in NFS. You
          > should "Check for Latest AQ Release" every week or two, as your best
          > method of being alerted to whether patches for changes in NFS are available.
          >
          > Gaylon
          >

          > tjwbtr wrote:
          > > I tried an import to my local AQ/PAF of several generations from nFS. The process errored out several times, but now that it's stopped running after HOURS, I can see that it seems to have imported all the data except for the names, which all now read "unknown." I thought I could correct this by syncing with NFS a family at a time and pulling in the names. This doesn't seem to be an option: it is already showing a link (dot in the box) for the individuals, and I'm worried if I click on "combine" that I will upload a bunch of unknown information to NFS. Any ideas how to correct this? Or how to make an import go more smoothly?
          > >
          > > Thank you!

        • tjwbtr
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
            It seems to be importing quickly and beautifully. (I downloaded a new version directly from the Internet since the "check for latest" option didn't work.)
            Thank you!

            --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

            > Check your version number. I don't remember now whether it was the May
            > release of NFS or the August release, but a change in NFS caused AQ to
            > have trouble with NFS names in some processes. Shortly after the NFS
            > change, we made a change in AQ to compensate. If you have an older
            > version of AQ 12.1, this would explain the problem. You need to update
            > to the latest build. (Go to the "Internet" menu of AQ, then use the
            > "Check for Latest AQ Release" to see if you are up to date.)
            >
            > To address your specific issue, I would:
            > * update to the latest build of AQ, then
            > * get your file back to the state it was in before the import of family
            > lines (you should have made a backup at that time), and then
            > * try the import again.
            >
            > One thing you should all be aware of is that NFS is constantly changing.
            > The "November" release of NFS is due out any time. We've invited some
            > users from this list to test the current version of AQ with the NFS
            > changes that are currently undergoing a beta test. We don't expect any
            > surprises when NFS puts out their new version sometime in the next few
            > weeks, but once the new NFS is released, we may find we need to make
            > emergency adjustments. If that happens, you might need to be ready to
            > download a new build of AQ soon just to offset the changes in NFS. You
            > should "Check for Latest AQ Release" every week or two, as your best
            > method of being alerted to whether patches for changes in NFS are available.
            >
            > Gaylon
            >

            > tjwbtr wrote:
            > > I tried an import to my local AQ/PAF of several generations from nFS. The process errored out several times, but now that it's stopped running after HOURS, I can see that it seems to have imported all the data except for the names, which all now read "unknown." I thought I could correct this by syncing with NFS a family at a time and pulling in the names. This doesn't seem to be an option: it is already showing a link (dot in the box) for the individuals, and I'm worried if I click on "combine" that I will upload a bunch of unknown information to NFS. Any ideas how to correct this? Or how to make an import go more smoothly?
            > >
            > > Thank you!

          • tjwbtr
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
              I apologize. My excitement was premature. AQ stops responding after about five generations of importing. Would NFS be timing me out? Any idea what is stopping this.

              TY

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
                TY:

                The most likely cause for AQ to stop responding at any point is that it
                is waiting on NFS. We know of a bug in NFS wherein on some individuals,
                if AQ asks for the ordinance data, NFS can get lost for up to about
                15-20 minutes before it responds and tells AQ that it can't provide the
                ordinances for that person. So AQ waits until it gets that message, then
                continues. For most individuals in NFS, the ordinance information only
                takes about 1 second to retrieve, but every once in a while AQ can seem
                to hang when NFS hits one of these situations. Just let it go, and
                usually NFS will timeout and let AQ continue with the next person to import.

                Gaylon

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2009
                  I imagine that Nfs is timing you out.

                  I have found it easier and more accurate to do just one family at a time.

                  There is so much inaccurate stuff on nFS, wouldn't it be better to ensure that what you are bringing into your file is good stuff?

                  Leslie