import family lines -- missing info

  • Dee
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2009
      I just imported all my family lines from NFS. This was only 140 individuals, so not a huge undertaking. I imported them into a new, empty file. Then the fun started.

      Let me try to explain. I did Review Individual for "John Doe". In my new local file, I now only have the word Deceased for a death date. However, there WAS a death date in NFS--submitted by me. Why is it missing in the import? Is there something different I should have done??

      I am hoping to teach AQ to my ward consultants tonight, so any info is much appreciated.

      Dee
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2009
        Dee:

        When you import a record from NFS to AQ, AQ brings in from FamilySearch
        the first "name", first "birth event", first "death event", and so on.
        Until FamilySearch made a change in their August '09 release, this
        *first* item was always the *summary* item -- the item most likely to be
        desired. With the August '09 release of FamilySearch, they no longer
        send the summary items first, so you can't be as sure of what you might
        get. So if your record has a death date of say, "1980", but there is
        another death date with nothing, and FamilySearch sent the empty death
        information first, that is what you will get.

        If you want to control what you get, you need to use the "Review with
        FamilySearch" option to view each individual after the import and hand
        pick the items you want in your local file.

        Gaylon

        Dee wrote:
        > I just imported all my family lines from NFS. This was only 140 individuals, so not a huge undertaking. I imported them into a new, empty file. Then the fun started.
        >
        > Let me try to explain. I did Review Individual for "John Doe". In my new local file, I now only have the word Deceased for a death date. However, there WAS a death date in NFS--submitted by me. Why is it missing in the import? Is there something different I should have done??
        >
        > I am hoping to teach AQ to my ward consultants tonight, so any info is much appreciated.
        >
        > Dee

      • George E. Wright
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2009
          I am beginning to get concerned. It appears that NFS is becoming increasingly fragile and prone to inconsistent data linkages to third-party software (such as AncestralQuest).

          Gaylon, do the people at NFS seem to be showing care and diligence with their data integrity? Or are they becoming reckless? Can you tell me if simply Syncing my records to NFS is endangering my local AQ files?

          George

          Dee wrote:
          > I just imported all my family lines from NFS. This was only 140 individuals, so not a huge undertaking. I imported them into a new, empty file. Then the fun started.
          >
          > Let me try to explain. I did Review Individual for "John Doe". In my new local file, I now only have the word Deceased for a death date. However, there WAS a death date in NFS--submitted by me. Why is it missing in the import? Is there something different I should have done??
          >
          > I am hoping to teach AQ to my ward consultants tonight, so any info is much appreciated.
          >
          > Dee

        • register
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 10, 2009
            My objective is to add a note (opinion) concerning a marriage. Further, I
            want this note (opinion) to appear in nFS. Any suggestions?

            I can handle this for all standard events - birth, death etc. but not
            marriage.

            23:33:00

          • register
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 10, 2009
              No sooner had I asked the question re marriage notes in nFS than I found the
              answer. Here is the method.

              In AQ it is easy, simply click on the marriage and add a note.

              Using AQ to add a note to nFS goes like this.

              Review the person in nFS (ctrl-E)

              Select 'Spouses/children)

              Clock on ;+/- children' to expand the marriage.

              Click on the marriage date/place.

              Click on 'notes' and you will be able to add a note for marriage or sealing
              which will appear in nFS.

              This AQ is a pretty slick program.

              23:33:00

            • register
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 17, 2009
                When I review batches rather than a date (for endowment for example) I get a
                'needs more information'. When I review the data there is enough to enable
                to ordinance to be performed.

                What is this 'needs more information' telling me?

                23:33:00

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 17, 2009
                  Eric:

                  This is a question for ... FamilySearch.

                  One situation I am aware of is if the name of the person has punctuation
                  in it, then the temple system won't reserve ordinances.

                  Also, I understand that as of the .99 release of NFS that came out last
                  Sunday, at least one place has to be "Standardized" -- I don't think
                  this means you have to put the "United States" behind it, but NFS must
                  be able to match it on their place database to make sure it is a valid
                  place. If you've got unusual abbreviations for your places, this may
                  cause NFS to reject a reservation.

                  Gaylon

                  register wrote:

                  > When I review batches rather than a date (for endowment for example) I get a
                  > 'needs more information'. When I review the data there is enough to enable
                  > to ordinance to be performed.
                  >

                  > What is this 'needs more information' telling me?
                  >

                  > Eric

                  > 23:33:00

                • register
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 19, 2009

                    You asked for submissions for suggestions earlier. A big thing on my list
                    is to have sealing to spouse shown on the search for individual screen. All
                    the other ordinances are there as is the spouses name - can we have the
                    sealing information as well?

                    Eric

                    Eric & Marnie Abell

                    Saanichton, BC, Canada

                    (250) 652 4616

                    register wrote:

                    > When I review batches rather than a date (for endowment for example) I get
                    > 'needs more information'. When I review the data there is enough to enable
                    > to ordinance to be performed.
                    >

                    > What is this 'needs more information' telling me?
                    >

                    > Eric

                    > 23:33:00

                    00:30:00

                  • emregister
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 14, 2010
                      Help,

                      I know Gaylon put together a video tutorial of AQ and how to deal with nFS
                      but I cannot find it. If anyone still has the email advising of this or the
                      video would you please help me out.

                      23:33:00

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 14, 2010
                        Eric:

                        1) Start AQ
                        2) Click on the "FamilySearch" menu, just to the left of the "Help" menu
                        3) Click on "View Tutorial"

                        Gaylon

                        emregister wrote:
                        > Help,
                        >

                        > I know Gaylon put together a video tutorial of AQ and how to deal with nFS
                        > but I cannot find it. If anyone still has the email advising of this or the
                        > video would you please help me out.
                        >

                        > Eric
                        >

                        > Eric

                        > 23:33:00

                      • emregister
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 14, 2010

                          Right but that video concerning LDS ordinances addresses only the IGI. I am
                          sure I have seen a video you produced dealing with the nFS.

                          Eric

                          Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] AQ and nFS

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 14, 2010
                            Eric:

                            We must not be talking about the same thing. The option I mentioned will
                            take you to a web page that lists about 10 videos dealing with NFS and
                            ORTS -- it doesn't mention the tutorials dealing with the IGI. You get
                            to that IGI tutorial through a very different set of steps.

                            Gaylon

                            emregister wrote:
                            > Gaylon,
                            >

                            > Right but that video concerning LDS ordinances addresses only the IGI. I am
                            > sure I have seen a video you produced dealing with the nFS.
                            >

                            > Eric
                            >

                            > Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] AQ and nFS
                            >

                            > Eric:
                            >
                            > 1) Start AQ
                            > 2) Click on the "FamilySearch" menu, just to the left of the "Help" menu
                            > 3) Click on "View Tutorial"
                            >
                            > Gaylon
                            >
                            > emregister wrote:
                            >
                            >> Help,
                            >>

                            >> I know Gaylon put together a video tutorial of AQ and how to deal with nFS
                            >> but I cannot find it. If anyone still has the email advising of this or
                            >>
                            > the
                            >
                            >> video would you please help me out.
                            >>

                            >> Eric
                            >>

                            >> Eric

                            >> 23:33:00

                          • emregister
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 14, 2010
                              Gaylon, you re right again.. I was looking under the help video stuff.

                              emregister wrote:
                              > Gaylon,
                              >

                              > Right but that video concerning LDS ordinances addresses only the IGI. I
                              am
                              > sure I have seen a video you produced dealing with the nFS.
                              >

                              > Eric
                              >

                              > Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] AQ and nFS
                              >

                              > Eric:
                              >
                              > 1) Start AQ
                              > 2) Click on the "FamilySearch" menu, just to the left of the "Help" menu
                              > 3) Click on "View Tutorial"
                              >
                              > Gaylon
                              >
                              > emregister wrote:
                              >
                              >> Help,
                              >>

                              >> I know Gaylon put together a video tutorial of AQ and how to deal with
                              nFS
                              >> but I cannot find it. If anyone still has the email advising of this or
                              >>
                              > the
                              >
                              >> video would you please help me out.
                              >>

                              >> Eric
                              >>

                              >> Eric

                              12/01/09

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 14, 2010
                                Eric,

                                Did you go to the "FamilySearch" menu? In AQ, click on FamilySearch, then
                                View Tutorial, just like Gaylon says.

                                That takes you to tutorial concerning AQ and nFS.

                                /Gunilla

                                emregister wrote:
                                > Help,
                                >

                                > I know Gaylon put together a video tutorial of AQ and how to deal with nFS
                                > but I cannot find it. If anyone still has the email advising of this or
                                the
                                > video would you please help me out.
                                >

                                > Eric
                                >

                                > Eric

                                > 23:33:00

                              • Dee Whiting
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 15, 2010
                                  It might be clearer if all videos were available under Help. Some can be
                                  downloaded, which is a benefit for offline viewing. Is it in the works to
                                  make all of them downloadable?

                                  Thank you,

                                  Dee

                                  emregister wrote:
                                  > Gaylon,
                                  >

                                  > Right but that video concerning LDS ordinances addresses only the IGI. I
                                  am
                                  > sure I have seen a video you produced dealing with the nFS.
                                  >

                                  > Eric
                                  >

                                  > Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] AQ and nFS
                                  >

                                  > Eric:
                                  >
                                  > 1) Start AQ
                                  > 2) Click on the "FamilySearch" menu, just to the left of the "Help" menu
                                  > 3) Click on "View Tutorial"
                                  >
                                  > Gaylon
                                  >
                                  > emregister wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Help,
                                  >>

                                  >> I know Gaylon put together a video tutorial of AQ and how to deal with
                                  nFS
                                  >> but I cannot find it. If anyone still has the email advising of this or
                                  >>
                                  > the
                                  >
                                  >> video would you please help me out.
                                  >>

                                  >> Eric
                                  >>

                                  >> Eric