RE: [AQ_NFS] New Feature Test CRASHED !!!!

  • register
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 13, 2009
      To make things more interesting, I tried to edit the person from the Edit
      drop down menu and then Ctrl-I. They worked just fine. Now double clicking
      works fine. All this after at least 10 failures.

      Eric

      Before sending this message I returned to AQ to check one more time and this
      time it exited again.

      OK, so I opened a file that have never used this new feature. Sure enough
      it failed as well, many times. 2 click or ctrl-I - all failed.

      Eric

      A nice idea. I wish I had it a week ago. The only problem is that it
      CRASHED. That is the program terminated.

      I repeated this several times. First I synced with the LDS and then the
      matching and synced. All looked good, the marriage was sealed, and the
      ordinances were updated.

      BUT now if I double click on the person the program terminates. I have
      repeated this several times with the same result.

      In fact, when I double click on anyone it exits. This is not good.

      Eric

      Eric & Marnie Abell

      Saanichton, BC, Canada

      (250) 652 4616

      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 13, 2009
        Now for some good news. I returned to my earlier version of AQ dated
        04/06/2009 and it appears to work well so I suspect the new version of AQ
        was at fault but that the data was not harmed. I am sure we will find out
        soon.

        Eric

        Eric & Marnie Abell

        Saanichton, BC, Canada

        (250) 652 4616

        ==========================

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 13, 2009
          Sorry for the many messages but I thought a quick response would help
          someone else to avoid the problem. Now I find that the file I checked was
          an old file that I used for practice but now I cannot open any other file.
          That is, I am stuck with the junk file. I have closed and opened and tried
          several ways and no way it will look at another file.

          Now I have a problem.

          Eric

          Eric & Marnie Abell

          Saanichton, BC, Canada

          (250) 652 4616

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 13, 2009
            Neil:

            Ahhh.

            I forgot to mention one thing.

            The default setting for this screen is to *NOT* show the LDS ordinances.
            The LDS button is only shown if you change that setting so that you will
            see the LDS ordinances on that screen.

            Go into "Preferences" under the "Tools" menu, then select the
            "FamilySearch" tab and check the box: "View LDS Ordinances when matching".

            Gaylon

            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 14, 2009
              Eric:

              Without digging into why you can't open another file, there are a couple
              of suggestions:

              1) Use "My Computer" to locate another file when you are not running AQ,
              then double-click on the file
              2) If it is a PAF file, open it in PAF, then use the Tools menu of PAF
              to start AQ
              3) Delete your "ancquest.ini" file. This is the file that remembers
              which file you were last using (along with your other preferences). Once
              you delete it, AQ will act like you are running it for the first time.
              You'll be able to open any other file from the File|Open menu. (The
              "ancquest.ini" file sits in a folder recommended by Microsoft, and it is
              different for XP than for Vista. If in XP, it should be in "c:\Documents
              and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest".)

              Gaylon

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 14, 2009
                Good idea. It worked. Thank you.

                I have now switched back to the patched version 04/13

                /2009 and I cannot cause the double click to fail. Go figure.

                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
                  When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk following
                  the name. What does this signify?

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
                    Eric:

                    If you view the same person in the nFS screens, do you see the asterisk
                    there? I don't believe AQ puts an asterisk on a name, so it is probably
                    part of the name.

                    Gaylon

                    register wrote:
                    > When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk following
                    > the name. What does this signify?
                    >

                    > Eric

                  • register
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
                      Thanks, I will watch and record the name next time. Any chance of AQ
                      providing a list of all symbols used? I am thinking primarily about symbols
                      I see in front of names when checking spouses and children. Some boxes have
                      dot - that I found in the help screens. But some are greyed and some are
                      darker grey and some of the dots are now equal signs. In front of some of
                      the names there appears a '>'. I list would help - I can find no reference
                      to these in the help area.

                      register wrote:
                      > When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk
                      following
                      > the name. What does this signify?
                      >

                      > Eric

                    • ronaldtilby
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 24, 2009
                        Eric, An asterisk at the end of a name in NFS is probably carried forward from a transcription of a Family Group Sheet. In former times, some researchers would "tag" their direct ancestors with an asterisk at the end of their name on Family Group Sheets submitted for LDS Temple Ordinances.

                        Regards,
                        Ron Tilby
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                          Hmmm. Depends on what you mean by easy. Since nFS stores notes per
                          event, and AQ stores per person or marriage, there is not a one-to-one
                          correlation. If you go to the "Review Individual" screen under the
                          FamilySearch menu, you should see a summary of all nFS notes for an nFS
                          person on that screen. If you then click on the "Notes" button on that
                          screen, you'll see not only the summary of notes for the nFS person, but
                          the notes for the local person. You can highlight notes, then use
                          <Ctrl+C> to copy and <Ctrl+V> to paste notes between the nFS record and
                          the local individual.

                          Gaylon

                          register wrote:
                          > Is there an easy way to copy notes from nFS to my data?
                          >

                          > Eric

                        • register
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 7, 2009

                            People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.

                            The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                            like an interesting feature.

                            RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                            reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name cards
                            using new FamilySearch Web services.

                            Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                            same sort of thing?

                          • register
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                              To set up favourite sites is straight forward. To search these sites is not
                              - at least for me. If I could see the entire URL for the default locations
                              that would help but, alas, I cannot. Can anyone lend a hand or direct me to
                              a solution?

                              For example, I want to go directly to FamilySearch Record Search and search
                              for the selected name in the same fashion as Ancestry.com. I can go
                              directly to Record Search but cannot get the first and last names and search
                              to work.

                              Eric

                              .

                              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=25229696/grpspId=1709334992/msgI
                              d=33/stime=1240069700/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                              Message 14 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                                Eric:

                                In a word, yes.

                                Unfortunately, the FamilySearch system didn't allow ordinance
                                reservations when AQ became the first product to synchronize local data
                                with nFS. They made that available just shortly before RootsMagic was
                                released, so RM was able to fit that in. We have been working for some
                                time on a feature that will allow the reservation and tracking of
                                ordinances, and hope to have it available soon.

                                Gaylon

                                register wrote:
                                > Gaylon,
                                >

                                > People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.
                                >

                                > The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                                > like an interesting feature.
                                >

                                > RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                                > reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name cards
                                > using new FamilySearch Web services.
                                >

                                > Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                                > same sort of thing?
                                >

                                > Eric

                              • register
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 7, 2009

                                  That is good news. I will get the information to our staff.

                                  Eric

                                  Eric & Marnie Abell

                                  Saanichton, BC, Canada

                                  (250) 652 4616

                                  register wrote:
                                  > Gaylon,
                                  >

                                  > People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.
                                  >

                                  > The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                                  > like an interesting feature.
                                  >

                                  > RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                                  > reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name
                                  cards
                                  > using new FamilySearch Web services.
                                  >

                                  > Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                                  > same sort of thing?
                                  >

                                  > Eric

                                • register
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                                    When I ask AQ to review an individual in FS I get a display that gives me,
                                    among other things, the NFS ID. It also lets me know how may other IDs
                                    exist. Let us say 21.

                                    If I go into nFS and look at the numbers of records hat have been combined
                                    for the same person I get a difference count - say 17.

                                    If I us AQ to do some additional searching and find another duplicate and
                                    then combine these the numbers referred to above will change to 22 and 18.

                                    My problem is that I expected these two numbers to be the same. That is, if
                                    17 records have been combined then AQ would show me that there were 16 other
                                    IDs. That is, the current record ID and 16 others to get 17.

                                    Why the apparent discrepancy between nFS and AQ?

                                  • Stewart Millar
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                                      I have the same issue appearing in my checks between AQ and nFS.

                                      The smaller numbers 2,3,4 duplicates do agree - but with some of the bigger
                                      numbers I have the problem - AQ says 15 Other ID's and yet the nFS combined
                                      records says 12 combined records.

                                      A possibility that I have not yet had the time (or patience) to check is
                                      ---- I wonder if any one of the 12 combined records in nFS is itself a
                                      combined record of a further 3 records that would make the AQ number agree
                                      with nFS. If what I have suggested is a possibility, then when there is a
                                      difference, the AQ number should always be bigger than the nFS number.

                                      === Stewart

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                                          When AQ accesses a record from nFS, it is given a list of all the nFS
                                          IDs by which that record has been known. AQ simply counts these and
                                          displays that number, minus the current number, as the number displayed
                                          is meant to convey "Other" IDs, not "Total" IDs. You will often see a
                                          count of 0 when you look at a record that has never been combined with
                                          another record.

                                          I don't know the full set of rules for when nFS creates a new ID for a
                                          person, but I believe you could have a situation like this:

                                          Bob Smith - ID1
                                          Bob Smith - ID2
                                          Robert Smith - ID3

                                          When you combine ID1 and ID2, you end up with:

                                          Bob Smith - ID4 (Includes ID1 and ID2)
                                          Robert Smith - ID3

                                          Then when you combine ID4 and ID3, you en up with:

                                          Robert (Bob) Smith - ID5 (Includes ID1, ID2, ID3 and ID4)

                                          So nFS's "Combined Records" screen for ID5 would show 3 original
                                          records. But AQ's display of Other IDs for ID5 would show 4 other IDs.

                                          Both displays are accurate. nFS is not showing you all the IDs by which
                                          the person can be accessed -- it is showing the original records. AQ is
                                          showing a count of other IDs. Actual original records would often be
                                          somewhat fewer.

                                          Hope this helps.

                                          Gaylon