New Build of Ancestral Quest 12.1

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2009
      All:

      We just released a new build of Ancestral Quest 12.1. The adjustments
      fit primarily into two groups:

      1) If you are trying to make your family database available to relatives
      by using AQ's ability to act as a Database Viewer, you will typically
      put a copy of your database and pictures on a CD, along with a copy of
      the trial version of AQ. There were two minor tweaks made to improve
      this feature -- the start screen which let a user choose whether to
      activate the program or stay in viewer or trial mode was improved, and a
      bug that kept the alphabetic index on a read-only file from working was
      fixed.

      2) The new features that have been added to help those using the New
      FamilySearch database of the LDS Church had several minor enhancements.

      The best way to update your copy of AQ to the latest build is to:

      1) Run Ancestral Quest
      2) Click on the "Internet" menu
      3) Select "Check for Latest AQ Release"

      This will take you to a screen on our website where you can download the
      latest build.

      4) Download the "Basic" Installer -- this is the best option if you are
      updating an existing copy of AQ
      5) Close Ancestral Quest so that some of the program files can be replaced
      6) Run the basic installer you downloaded in step 4.

      Gaylon Findlay
      Incline Software

      Enhancements to nFS Features

      * Reserve Ordinances/Create Batches Screen: If you have reserved
      records for the temples to manage, you can now remove them as a group
      using the "Remove" button, and cause them to be placed on a batch to
      view in the Review Batches screen.
      * Review Batch Screen: The list now sorts alphabetically.
      * Reserve Ordinances/Create Batches Screen: If you close this screen
      then access it later, the list will reload more quickly.
      * Review Batch Screen: If you close this screen then access it
      later, the list will reload more quickly.
      * ORTS Reconcile: There is a bug in NFS that causes an older NFS ID
      to sometimes be associated with ordinance cards. This caused AQ to not
      be able to determine when a card was already in a batch during the
      reconcile process. AQ has now been improved to detect the newer ID in
      most cases and avoid duplicating ordinances cards in batches.
      * Ordinance Reservation Screen: Added the RIN of the local person to
      the names of the parents and spouses. This helps you determine whether
      the NFS parents and spouses are linked to your local records.
      * Caching: In the August release of NFS, a change was made that
      caused AQ's caching of NFS records to not work when relationships were
      changed in NFS. This caused parents, spouses or children on the Family
      Sync screen to occasionally show an extra "Unknown" that wasn't really
      there. Caching has been disabled for most situations to avoid this
      problem. Users of NFS features should go to Preferences under the Tools
      menu, then select the FamilySearch tab and clear their cache to free up
      disk space.
      * Sync Options Screen: Added a checkbox to let you indicate that you
      don't want the screen to show anymore. The current options will always
      be used instead of asking you in the future.
      * Check/Repair: Check/Repair now finds and fixes a few new items
      related to NFS.

      Bug Fixes to nFS Features

      * Create FOR: In build 21, the ability to add the term, "In
      Progress" to local ordinance fields was added. A bug kept the user from
      being able to choose not to add this term. Fixed.
    • register
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2009
        Gaylon;

        Some nice features in the recent build. A couple of problems. When I
        reconciled and then reviewed all batches I was presented with many names
        repeated many times. To have the names alphabetized was good but to have
        this done on the last name would be even better. Deleting all batches and
        reconciling again solved the duplicate problem.

        I have reconciled and then 'reviewed all'. Now if I select a single batch
        to review I am presented with the 'all' list rather than the list of names
        on the selected batch.

        But I love AQ.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
          Eric:

          We have found that the duplicates are caused by an error in the internal
          index of the NFS IDs in your AQ database. The new Check/Repair should
          fix this, so that in the future, the Reconcile will find the records and
          not add them to the list yet again.

          As to the single batch showing all batches, I'd have to look into this.
          I just tried this, and it worked as expected on my file. I have two
          batches -- first used the "Review All" and saw all records, then
          selected just one batch and used the "Review" button to see just the
          records of that batch. Could you double-check this, and perhaps send me
          some additional details?

          Gaylon

          register wrote:
          > Gaylon;
          >
          > Some nice features in the recent build. A couple of problems. When I
          > reconciled and then reviewed all batches I was presented with many names
          > repeated many times. To have the names alphabetized was good but to have
          > this done on the last name would be even better. Deleting all batches and
          > reconciling again solved the duplicate problem.
          >

          > I have reconciled and then 'reviewed all'. Now if I select a single batch
          > to review I am presented with the 'all' list rather than the list of names
          > on the selected batch.
          >

          > But I love AQ.
          >

          > Eric

        • register
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009

            He only problem remaining is the duplicate records when I review a batch.
            However, when I removed all batches and reconciled and reviewed all the
            problems went away. Should all batches always be removed before
            reconciling?

            Another problem. I have a record that has been synched. Now I cannot
            review, nor can I unlink. The message "FamilySearch was unable to find he
            information you requested error 404"

            I have done the check/repair.

            Eric

            register wrote:
            > Gaylon;
            >
            > Some nice features in the recent build. A couple of problems. When I
            > reconciled and then reviewed all batches I was presented with many names
            > repeated many times. To have the names alphabetized was good but to have
            > this done on the last name would be even better. Deleting all batches and
            > reconciling again solved the duplicate problem.
            >

            > I have reconciled and then 'reviewed all'. Now if I select a single batch
            > to review I am presented with the 'all' list rather than the list of names
            > on the selected batch.
            >

            > But I love AQ.
            >

            > Eric

          • register
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
              Gaylon, an addendum. I get a second error message "unable to verify
              K4ZM-71V from FamilySearch. (guar 1)

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
                Eric:

                NFS was down for a while tonight, about the time you got this error. I
                think that if you'll try this again, now that NFS is up again, this
                shouldn't be a problem.

                Gaylon

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
                  Eric:

                  Some of what you have in your batches will come back when you reconcile,
                  but NFS forgets some things. If you remove the batches, then reconcile,
                  you'll certainly clean up the duplication, but you'll also possibly lose
                  other information you'd rather hang onto.

                  I found that if you'll view all batches at once, now that AQ
                  alphabetizes the list, you can very quickly spot and remove the
                  duplicates -- simply click on the duplicate name, type <Alt+M> to
                  activate the "Remove" button, then type a 'Y' for "Yes". So a couple of
                  keystrokes for each duplicate will clean them out very quickly.

                  The other error you mention with a 404 code has to do with the fact that
                  NFS was down tonight while you tried that.

                  Gaylon

                  register wrote:
                  > Gaylon,
                  >
                  > He only problem remaining is the duplicate records when I review a batch.
                  > However, when I removed all batches and reconciled and reviewed all the
                  > problems went away. Should all batches always be removed before
                  > reconciling?
                  >

                  > Another problem. I have a record that has been synched. Now I cannot
                  > review, nor can I unlink. The message "FamilySearch was unable to find he
                  > information you requested error 404"
                  >
                  > I have done the check/repair.
                  >

                  > Eric
                  >

                  > Eric:
                  >
                  > We have found that the duplicates are caused by an error in the internal
                  > index of the NFS IDs in your AQ database. The new Check/Repair should
                  > fix this, so that in the future, the Reconcile will find the records and
                  > not add them to the list yet again.
                  >
                  > As to the single batch showing all batches, I'd have to look into this.
                  > I just tried this, and it worked as expected on my file. I have two
                  > batches -- first used the "Review All" and saw all records, then
                  > selected just one batch and used the "Review" button to see just the
                  > records of that batch. Could you double-check this, and perhaps send me
                  > some additional details?
                  >
                  > Gaylon
                  >
                  > register wrote:
                  >
                  >> Gaylon;
                  >>
                  >> Some nice features in the recent build. A couple of problems. When I
                  >> reconciled and then reviewed all batches I was presented with many names
                  >> repeated many times. To have the names alphabetized was good but to have
                  >> this done on the last name would be even better. Deleting all batches and
                  >> reconciling again solved the duplicate problem.
                  >>

                  >> I have reconciled and then 'reviewed all'. Now if I select a single batch
                  >> to review I am presented with the 'all' list rather than the list of names
                  >> on the selected batch.
                  >>

                  >> But I love AQ.
                  >>

                  >> Eric

                • register
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 10, 2009

                    Thanks. And I guess I may have lost some information.

                    register wrote:
                    > Gaylon,
                    >
                    > He only problem remaining is the duplicate records when I review a batch.
                    > However, when I removed all batches and reconciled and reviewed all the
                    > problems went away. Should all batches always be removed before
                    > reconciling?
                    >

                    > Another problem. I have a record that has been synched. Now I cannot
                    > review, nor can I unlink. The message "FamilySearch was unable to find he
                    > information you requested error 404"
                    >
                    > I have done the check/repair.
                    >

                    > Eric
                    >

                    > Eric:
                    >
                    > We have found that the duplicates are caused by an error in the internal
                    > index of the NFS IDs in your AQ database. The new Check/Repair should
                    > fix this, so that in the future, the Reconcile will find the records and
                    > not add them to the list yet again.
                    >
                    > As to the single batch showing all batches, I'd have to look into this.
                    > I just tried this, and it worked as expected on my file. I have two
                    > batches -- first used the "Review All" and saw all records, then
                    > selected just one batch and used the "Review" button to see just the
                    > records of that batch. Could you double-check this, and perhaps send me
                    > some additional details?
                    >
                    > Gaylon
                    >
                    > register wrote:
                    >
                    >> Gaylon;
                    >>
                    >> Some nice features in the recent build. A couple of problems. When I
                    >> reconciled and then reviewed all batches I was presented with many names
                    >> repeated many times. To have the names alphabetized was good but to have
                    >> this done on the last name would be even better. Deleting all batches and
                    >> reconciling again solved the duplicate problem.
                    >>

                    >> I have reconciled and then 'reviewed all'. Now if I select a single batch
                    >> to review I am presented with the 'all' list rather than the list of
                    names
                    >> on the selected batch.
                    >>

                    >> But I love AQ.
                    >>

                    >> Eric

                  • Richard Rands
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 10, 2009
                      Something very wrong is happening in NFS. I have
                      been trying to get the support team to get the
                      programmers to look at the problem, but they have
                      yet to acknowledge the problem. Nearly three
                      years ago, when our temple district was added to
                      the system, I disputed an "unknown child" record
                      that showed up in my great grandfather's
                      family. After providing sufficient documentation
                      that the child had never existed, they eventually
                      removed the record along with the dispute. That
                      was over two years ago. Last week, out of
                      nowhere, that old dispute for an "unknown child"
                      reappeared in my great grandfather's family, but
                      this time it was assigned to my grandfather -
                      whose lap I remember sitting in. I only found
                      out about it because last week my mother, who
                      lives in Utah, was being trained on the use of
                      NFS, discovered that I had disputed the existence
                      of her father. She was not happy, and her
                      instructor had her dispute my dispute! Of
                      course, that only made matters worse. I looked
                      at other family records in the system and
                      discovered that other very old disputes have been
                      replicated across multiple siblings. In
                      addition, now that the Wasatch front is coming on
                      board, one of my great greatgrandfathers has
                      suddenly gone from having nine children to having
                      23 children. Most of which have now been
                      disputed by others. The system has gone amok.

                      If there was ever an argument for having us
                      maintain our own family history in our own personal databases, NFS is it.

                      Richard Rands