Re: [AQ_NFS] changed records

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
      Eric:

      AQ currently has three things in place to handle this. Well, 2 are fully
      in place, and the third is partially implemented.

      1) When you sync a record w/ NFS, AQ records the current version # of
      the NFS record. When you use the "Check for Changes" button, AQ compares
      these version #s against the current version # on NFS. If the NFS record
      sports a new version, then AQ lets you know that something has changed
      in the NFS record. I am not sure that this is 100% reliable, but it is a
      good start.

      2) AQ also records, when you sync w/ NFS, the current status of the main
      events in your AQ or PAF file. We hope to someday have AQ compare that
      snapshot of information with the current information in your file, so AQ
      can alert you that changes have been made on the local side. This is
      only half done, so you can't use it yet.

      3) AQ has had, for 6 years now, the ability to record details about
      every change you make to the file. This is only available for an AQ
      file. The PAF file has a form of this which will tell you which records
      have changed, but won't record the details. This less detailed form of a
      change log has been around in both AQ and PAF since 1999. In either
      case, go into the Preferences screen, then to the Database tab and turn
      on the Change Log.

      Gaylon

      register wrote:

      > I am looking for a strategy to maintain my synced records. That is, once I
      > have every record synced I need a strategy to update FS when my records
      > change and update my records when FS changes.
      >

      > I can use the 'check for changes' in the FamilySearch menu. I suppose this
      > will return any records that have changed in FS since I synced. I am not
      > certain. I get unexpected results.
      >
      > That should take care of the FS changes but what of the changes in my
      > records? If I was diligent I could keep a list or I could sync every time
      > I change one of my records. This I consider too onerous.
      >

      > I can use AQ to provide a report/list of those AQ records that I have
      > changed since any selected date. This is my best idea so far and only
      > demands that I remember when I last called for this report. Once I have the
      > list I can 'review'.
      >

      > I was hoping that the AQ 'check for changes' would check for changes both
      > locally and remotely but it seems that is not happening. Have I missed
      > something? What do others do? I really do not want to have to start at 'A'
      > and go to 'Z' again.
      >

      > Eric

    • register
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009

        That is a big help. I have used the change log since day 1 and find it
        great. Only 1 question:

        I don't understand what you mean by the version # of NFS record. This does
        not sound like the NFSID,. Or is it? Can I see the version #?

        Eric

        Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] changed records

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
          Eric:

          The version # is not the NFS PID.

          AQ does not show you the version #. It is there, and it changes whenever
          anything affects the NFS record.

          Sort of.

          Prior to the August release of NFS, the version number changed when
          anything affecting the person changed, including relationships. After
          the August release of NFS, the version number no longer changes when a
          person's relationships change, so it has a less complete meaning now.

          By the way, if you use the Family Sync screen of AQ, and notice that
          there are parents or children on the NFS side with the name of
          "Unknown", this is due to the way AQ is expecting the version # to
          change for relationships, and when it no longer does, AQ's family sync
          logic is thrown off if a relationship has changed. The work-around for
          this is to turn off NFS caching within AQ, so that AQ won't rely on the
          version number anymore. The next build of AQ will largely disable NFS
          caching so you won't have to be concerned about this.

          Gaylon

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 9, 2010
            All:

            We have just released AQ 12.1 build 24. It fixes most of the problems
            reported in build 23.

            The easiest way to get the new build is to:

            1) Run AQ
            2) Go to the "Internet" menu, then to "Check for Latest AQ Release"
            3) Once your browser shows you the page from which you can download the
            new build, close AQ
            4) Run or download the "Basic" installer.
            5) If you downloaded the installer in step 4, run it once it has
            finished downloading.

            The list of fixes and enhancements is below.

            Gaylon Findlay Incline Software

            ===============================

            *General Enhancements*

            * AQ Newsline: Each time you start AQ, it will show you news about
            the software, updates, training, or other items pertinent to family
            history.

            *General Bug Fixes*

            * Family View: The display of Age at marriage and death, introduced
            in build 23, sometimes did not fit in the display box. Fixed.

            *Enhancements to nFS Features*

            * Login to NFS: The new "LDS Account" is now accepted by Ancestral
            Quest. NOTE: This was not a change made to AQ, but by FamilySearch about
            the same time as this build was released. (Even if you still keep build
            23, you should be able to login to NFS with the LDS Account.)
            * Group Link: If you link groups of individuals through the Group
            Link feature, and choose the "Link Only" option, this will now process
            much more quickly.

            *Bug Fixes to nFS Features*
            NOTE: All the following bugs were introduced in build 23 as a result of
            changes both to NFS and to AQ. These bugs were not present in earlier
            versions. They have all been fixed in build 24.

            * Login by non-LDS Users: The login failed for users with an NFS
            account who were not members of the LDS faith -- there is a difference
            in how the login is completed in new.familysearch.org. Fixed.
            individuals in the FamilySearch database -- most common with IOUSs -- AQ
            might crash during the load. Fixed.
            * Adding Parents: In the Family Sync screen, if you added two new
            parents from NFS to a child in your file, and also added parent to child
            facts, AQ would successfully add the parents, then crash when trying to
            record the parent to child facts. Fixed.
            * Adding Person to NFS: If you added a person from your local file
            to NFS, and this person had a gender of Unknown, the gender was not
            written to the FamilySearch record. Fixed.
            * Auto Syncing Family Members: If, in builds of AQ 12.1 previous to
            23, you had selected the option to automatically sync data, then you had
            hidden the option screen for this selection, AQ would crash when trying
            to sync a local record with the NFS record. Fixed.
            * Delete of NFS Person: Some relationships to the person might not
            have been deleted at the time the person itself was removed. Fixed.
            * Connecting of Spouses in NFS: If you had parents in your local
            file for an individual, and FamilySearch had records of the same
            parents, but did not have them linked as parents in NFS, AQ attempts to
            link the NFS records together as child and parents. This was failing in
            build 23. Fixed.
            * Legacy Contributions: If you had claimed legacy submissions as
            your own, AQ would not allow you to modify or remove data from the
            submissions under a prior different ID. Fixed.
            * Relationship Facts: While you could add relationshp facts to NFS
            using AQ's Family Sync screen, you could not modify or delete them. Fixed.
            * Linking Spouses: If you had previously linked two NFS spouses
            together, then deleted the relationship using NFS, AQ was unable to link
            them back together. Fixed.
            * Gender: If you were the contributor of the gender of a person, AQ
            should have allowed you to change the gender. It didn't in build 23. Fixed.
          • Scott Scheibe
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
              At 11:11 PM 4/9/2010, Gaylon Findlay wrote:

              I have not been able to get either version to install. It starts and
              then ends with this error " 1607 unable to install shield scripting runtime."

              Scott Scheibe
              <mailto:dsscheibe@...>
              <http://scottsworld.info> Scott's website
              <http://dsscheibe.blogspot.com> Scott Blog
              <http://members.cox.net/dsscheibe/vws/> Scott's Weather Station
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 15, 2010
                All:

                We released a new build 27 of AQ 12.1 earlier today. This build
                initiates a new era for Ancestral Quest. Prospective users can now
                download Ancestral Quest Basics absolutely free. We have done away with
                the 60-day trial period. For those of you who have already registered
                your copy of AQ, you wouldn't need to upgrade to this build for this
                adjustment.

                We also fixed two issues that crept up as a result of the December 2010
                release of New FamilySearch this last Monday. And there were a few other
                minor fixes and enhancements.

                The list is below,

                Gaylon

                * General Enhancements

                Translation to non-English Languages: Moved several text items to the
                translation tables.

                * Enhancements to nFS Features

                Manage Batches: Added a 'Find' button that lets you search for an
                individual. If the individual is in one of the batches, the batch will
                be highlighted for you.

                * Bug Fixes to nFS Features

                Review and Synchronize FamilySearch Person with Local Person screen: A
                bug was introduced in build 26, wherein if you stretched this screen
                extremely wide, the check boxes could cover up part of the dates. Fixed.

                LDS Ordinance Reservation screen: A bug was introduced in build 26,
                wherein if you had checked the "Keep Together" box, but selected any
                ordinance other than Baptism, then the other ordinances would adjust to
                the selection, but Baptism would not. Fixed.

                95 Year Rule: Starting with the December 2010 release of nFS (12/13/10),
                notifications about the 95 year rule were issued when AQ checked the
                status of ordinances. AQ improperly showed this notice each time you
                reviewed a person who had died within the last 95 years. Fixed.

                Logout: With the December 2010 release of nFS (12/13/10), AQ was no
                longer able to logout from its connection with nFS. This didn't cause a
                problem, as this almost always happened as the user exited the program.
                But AQ presented a message indicating that there was a problem. AQ now
                properly logs out.
              • Margaret Thompson
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 15, 2010

                  I am running Win7-64bit. When I try to run build 27 it tells me the program
                  is not a Win32 application. Tried running it from the web and also saving
                  the file and running it off the HDD. Help would be appreciated.

                  Margaret

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 18, 2010
                    Several questions this morning.

                    1. Does AQ deal with nFS discussions in any way?
                    2. Upon checking for changes AQ does not appear to recognize changed
                    ordinances as a change, nor discussions as a change.

                    I hope someone can shed some light on this.

                    Eric

                    -----

                    No virus found in this message.