Re: [AQ_NFS] 2 Questions about nFS data

  • Jerry Taylor
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 26, 2009
      I believe that the asterisk on the birth date indicates that it is the date entered in the Christening Date field instead of the birth date field.

      #1 - The asterisk "*" usually associated with dates delivered from nFS.

      #2- The term "(unofficial)" usually associated with temple work dates and places.

      I've done a cursory inspection of the help files and pages and have come up empty.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 26, 2009
        Concerning the asterisk, did you mean when you are managing batches and
        reviewing a batch? An asterisk there means you should "Update Local" to get
        the date to transfer to your data base.

        /Gunilla

        #1 - The asterisk "*" usually associated with dates delivered from nFS.

        #2- The term "(unofficial)" usually associated with temple work dates and
        places.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 26, 2009
          1) When we first designed AQ, there were certain places in the program
          that could only fit birth and death, but not also Christening and
          burial. As a result, we have used a convention of backfilling birth
          information with christening information and backfilling death
          information with burial information, so you could see a beginning of
          life time/place and an end of life time/place. In these cases, AQ
          displays an '*' by the data to let you know it is the backfilling data
          you are looking at. This is true on several reports, in the Family View
          display, and other places in AQ.

          When we started work on the NFS features, we simply extended this
          convention. It appears that this convention -- used both in PAF and AQ
          for many, many years, is not as well understood as we thought, and will
          need to be addressed more carefully in Help topics and manuals. Thanks
          for asking.

          In summary, anytime you expect to see a birth date and/or place without
          also seeing Christening data/place, and you see an '*' on what appears
          to be birth information, then that means that the birth information
          wasn't available, so AQ is showing you the Christening data instead.
          Similarly, any time you expect to see a death date and/or place without
          also seeing the burial information, and you see an '*' on what appears
          to be death information, this means you are really looking at burial
          information rather than death information.

          2) The "(Unofficial)" means that the record is not part of the temple
          official records. This data could have been submitted through AQ, or via
          a GEDCOM file, or through any of a number of other means, but it was not
          submitted by the temple records.

          If you use the NFS screens to view the data in their current form, I
          believe all you will see is the word, "Completed", and you will not see
          the actual date and temple. Using AQ to view the data, you will see the
          date and temple, but qualified with the word, "Unofficial". You may or
          may not also see the word, "Completed", depending on how NFS sent the
          ordinance information to AQ.

          Gaylon

          Jerry Taylor wrote:
          > I believe that the asterisk on the birth date indicates that it is the date entered in the Christening Date field instead of the birth date field.

        • brunkbhx
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 27, 2009
            --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

            <snip>

            Thanks to all who cleared up these mysteries.

            Jim
          • Mike St. Clair/ST
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 28, 2009
              I've noticed that when syncronizing a record in AQ with nFS, the date of Sealing to Parents is shown on the nFS side but there is a note that says [see Parents/Siblings for details]. I remember at some time in the past seeing a button at the bottom on this screen that allowed looking at Parents/Siblings, but that doesn't seem to appear for me any more. Which prevents the ability to add that official SP date to my AQ database. There must be a simple answer to this somewhere, but I haven't found it.

              Any suggestions appreciated.

              Mike St. Clair

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 28, 2009
                Mike:

                The "Review Individual with NFS" screen, as you've noticed, only allows
                you to sync individual events and ordinances. When you are in "Review"
                mode, after you've already linked the local record with the NFS record,
                you will have access to the "Parents/Sibling" button. When you use this
                same screen during a Manual Sync, that button is unavailable.

                Here are two suggestions:

                1) If you want to go to the Parents/Siblings screen, first complete the
                Manual Sync, then review the individual to get access to this button

                2) Prior to the Manual Sync operation, you would have been in the
                "Match" screen, where you are trying to decide whether your local person
                is the same as any of the NFS individuals from the list of possible
                matches. If you have LDS Data options turned on in Preferences (which
                you probably do), and also turn on the option to view LDS ordinance data
                in the Match process (which is off by default), then you'll have access
                to an LDS button on the Match screen. This button brings up a screen
                that will allow you to transfer any LDS Ordinance information from the
                potential matching record in NFS to your local record -- both individual
                ordinances and sealings.

                Gaylon