Re: [AQ_NFS] 2 Questions about nFS data

  • George E. Wright
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 26, 2009
      I've seen the asterisk you describe in #1. However, I cannot guess the meaning either.

      The term "(unofficial)" in #2 would be caused by either of the following:

      a. The temple name and date is a user-entered field in Ancestral Quest. If the new.FamilySearch database does not show matching information, it looks like new.FamilySearch displays the user-entered field and adds the word "{unofficial}".

      b. IMHO, I don't think that the ordnance data transferred from Temple Records System to new.FamilySearch are complete. In several personal instances, the ordinance card that I took the temple shows dates that don't show up in new.FamilySearch. Perhaps the card reader interface at the temple was on the blink at that day (or the daily telephone upload to Salt Lake City bombed). If the data did not get downloaded into new.FamilySearch, it results in a disparity of information, so explanation a. above would result.

      George E. Wright
      Encinitas, California

      #1 - The asterisk "*" usually associated with dates delivered from nFS.

      #2- The term "(unofficial)" usually associated with temple work dates and places.

      I've done a cursory inspection of the help files and pages and have come up empty.

      Jim

    • Jerry Taylor
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 26, 2009
        I believe that the asterisk on the birth date indicates that it is the date entered in the Christening Date field instead of the birth date field.

        #1 - The asterisk "*" usually associated with dates delivered from nFS.

        #2- The term "(unofficial)" usually associated with temple work dates and places.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 26, 2009
          Concerning the asterisk, did you mean when you are managing batches and
          reviewing a batch? An asterisk there means you should "Update Local" to get
          the date to transfer to your data base.

          /Gunilla

          #1 - The asterisk "*" usually associated with dates delivered from nFS.

          #2- The term "(unofficial)" usually associated with temple work dates and
          places.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 26, 2009
            1) When we first designed AQ, there were certain places in the program
            that could only fit birth and death, but not also Christening and
            burial. As a result, we have used a convention of backfilling birth
            information with christening information and backfilling death
            information with burial information, so you could see a beginning of
            life time/place and an end of life time/place. In these cases, AQ
            displays an '*' by the data to let you know it is the backfilling data
            you are looking at. This is true on several reports, in the Family View
            display, and other places in AQ.

            When we started work on the NFS features, we simply extended this
            convention. It appears that this convention -- used both in PAF and AQ
            for many, many years, is not as well understood as we thought, and will
            need to be addressed more carefully in Help topics and manuals. Thanks
            for asking.

            In summary, anytime you expect to see a birth date and/or place without
            also seeing Christening data/place, and you see an '*' on what appears
            to be birth information, then that means that the birth information
            wasn't available, so AQ is showing you the Christening data instead.
            Similarly, any time you expect to see a death date and/or place without
            also seeing the burial information, and you see an '*' on what appears
            to be death information, this means you are really looking at burial
            information rather than death information.

            2) The "(Unofficial)" means that the record is not part of the temple
            official records. This data could have been submitted through AQ, or via
            a GEDCOM file, or through any of a number of other means, but it was not
            submitted by the temple records.

            If you use the NFS screens to view the data in their current form, I
            believe all you will see is the word, "Completed", and you will not see
            the actual date and temple. Using AQ to view the data, you will see the
            date and temple, but qualified with the word, "Unofficial". You may or
            may not also see the word, "Completed", depending on how NFS sent the
            ordinance information to AQ.

            Gaylon

            Jerry Taylor wrote:
            > I believe that the asterisk on the birth date indicates that it is the date entered in the Christening Date field instead of the birth date field.

          • brunkbhx
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 27, 2009
              --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

              <snip>

              Thanks to all who cleared up these mysteries.

              Jim
            • Mike St. Clair/ST
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 28, 2009
                I've noticed that when syncronizing a record in AQ with nFS, the date of Sealing to Parents is shown on the nFS side but there is a note that says [see Parents/Siblings for details]. I remember at some time in the past seeing a button at the bottom on this screen that allowed looking at Parents/Siblings, but that doesn't seem to appear for me any more. Which prevents the ability to add that official SP date to my AQ database. There must be a simple answer to this somewhere, but I haven't found it.

                Any suggestions appreciated.

                Mike St. Clair

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 28, 2009
                  Mike:

                  The "Review Individual with NFS" screen, as you've noticed, only allows
                  you to sync individual events and ordinances. When you are in "Review"
                  mode, after you've already linked the local record with the NFS record,
                  you will have access to the "Parents/Sibling" button. When you use this
                  same screen during a Manual Sync, that button is unavailable.

                  Here are two suggestions:

                  1) If you want to go to the Parents/Siblings screen, first complete the
                  Manual Sync, then review the individual to get access to this button

                  2) Prior to the Manual Sync operation, you would have been in the
                  "Match" screen, where you are trying to decide whether your local person
                  is the same as any of the NFS individuals from the list of possible
                  matches. If you have LDS Data options turned on in Preferences (which
                  you probably do), and also turn on the option to view LDS ordinance data
                  in the Match process (which is off by default), then you'll have access
                  to an LDS button on the Match screen. This button brings up a screen
                  that will allow you to transfer any LDS Ordinance information from the
                  potential matching record in NFS to your local record -- both individual
                  ordinances and sealings.

                  Gaylon