2 Questions about nFS data

  • brunkbhx
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 25, 2009
      Folks-

      Where does one find the meaning of these two items found in the data sucked down from nFS?

      #1 – The asterisk "*" usually associated with dates delivered from nFS.

      #2- The term "(unofficial)" usually associated with temple work dates and places.

      I've done a cursory inspection of the help files and pages and have come up empty.

      Jim
    • George E. Wright
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 26, 2009
        I've seen the asterisk you describe in #1. However, I cannot guess the meaning either.

        The term "(unofficial)" in #2 would be caused by either of the following:

        a. The temple name and date is a user-entered field in Ancestral Quest. If the new.FamilySearch database does not show matching information, it looks like new.FamilySearch displays the user-entered field and adds the word "{unofficial}".

        b. IMHO, I don't think that the ordnance data transferred from Temple Records System to new.FamilySearch are complete. In several personal instances, the ordinance card that I took the temple shows dates that don't show up in new.FamilySearch. Perhaps the card reader interface at the temple was on the blink at that day (or the daily telephone upload to Salt Lake City bombed). If the data did not get downloaded into new.FamilySearch, it results in a disparity of information, so explanation a. above would result.

        George E. Wright
        Encinitas, California

        #1 - The asterisk "*" usually associated with dates delivered from nFS.

        #2- The term "(unofficial)" usually associated with temple work dates and places.

        I've done a cursory inspection of the help files and pages and have come up empty.

        Jim

      • Jerry Taylor
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 26, 2009
          I believe that the asterisk on the birth date indicates that it is the date entered in the Christening Date field instead of the birth date field.

          #1 - The asterisk "*" usually associated with dates delivered from nFS.

          #2- The term "(unofficial)" usually associated with temple work dates and places.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 26, 2009
            Concerning the asterisk, did you mean when you are managing batches and
            reviewing a batch? An asterisk there means you should "Update Local" to get
            the date to transfer to your data base.

            /Gunilla

            #1 - The asterisk "*" usually associated with dates delivered from nFS.

            #2- The term "(unofficial)" usually associated with temple work dates and
            places.

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 26, 2009
              1) When we first designed AQ, there were certain places in the program
              that could only fit birth and death, but not also Christening and
              burial. As a result, we have used a convention of backfilling birth
              information with christening information and backfilling death
              information with burial information, so you could see a beginning of
              life time/place and an end of life time/place. In these cases, AQ
              displays an '*' by the data to let you know it is the backfilling data
              you are looking at. This is true on several reports, in the Family View
              display, and other places in AQ.

              When we started work on the NFS features, we simply extended this
              convention. It appears that this convention -- used both in PAF and AQ
              for many, many years, is not as well understood as we thought, and will
              need to be addressed more carefully in Help topics and manuals. Thanks
              for asking.

              In summary, anytime you expect to see a birth date and/or place without
              also seeing Christening data/place, and you see an '*' on what appears
              to be birth information, then that means that the birth information
              wasn't available, so AQ is showing you the Christening data instead.
              Similarly, any time you expect to see a death date and/or place without
              also seeing the burial information, and you see an '*' on what appears
              to be death information, this means you are really looking at burial
              information rather than death information.

              2) The "(Unofficial)" means that the record is not part of the temple
              official records. This data could have been submitted through AQ, or via
              a GEDCOM file, or through any of a number of other means, but it was not
              submitted by the temple records.

              If you use the NFS screens to view the data in their current form, I
              believe all you will see is the word, "Completed", and you will not see
              the actual date and temple. Using AQ to view the data, you will see the
              date and temple, but qualified with the word, "Unofficial". You may or
              may not also see the word, "Completed", depending on how NFS sent the
              ordinance information to AQ.

              Gaylon

              Jerry Taylor wrote:
              > I believe that the asterisk on the birth date indicates that it is the date entered in the Christening Date field instead of the birth date field.

            • brunkbhx
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 27, 2009
                --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

                <snip>

                Thanks to all who cleared up these mysteries.

                Jim
              • Mike St. Clair/ST
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 28, 2009
                  I've noticed that when syncronizing a record in AQ with nFS, the date of Sealing to Parents is shown on the nFS side but there is a note that says [see Parents/Siblings for details]. I remember at some time in the past seeing a button at the bottom on this screen that allowed looking at Parents/Siblings, but that doesn't seem to appear for me any more. Which prevents the ability to add that official SP date to my AQ database. There must be a simple answer to this somewhere, but I haven't found it.

                  Any suggestions appreciated.

                  Mike St. Clair

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 28, 2009
                    Mike:

                    The "Review Individual with NFS" screen, as you've noticed, only allows
                    you to sync individual events and ordinances. When you are in "Review"
                    mode, after you've already linked the local record with the NFS record,
                    you will have access to the "Parents/Sibling" button. When you use this
                    same screen during a Manual Sync, that button is unavailable.

                    Here are two suggestions:

                    1) If you want to go to the Parents/Siblings screen, first complete the
                    Manual Sync, then review the individual to get access to this button

                    2) Prior to the Manual Sync operation, you would have been in the
                    "Match" screen, where you are trying to decide whether your local person
                    is the same as any of the NFS individuals from the list of possible
                    matches. If you have LDS Data options turned on in Preferences (which
                    you probably do), and also turn on the option to view LDS ordinance data
                    in the Match process (which is off by default), then you'll have access
                    to an LDS button on the Match screen. This button brings up a screen
                    that will allow you to transfer any LDS Ordinance information from the
                    potential matching record in NFS to your local record -- both individual
                    ordinances and sealings.

                    Gaylon