New Feature Test

    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 13, 2009
      All:

      We have just finished creating a new feature in AQ to synchronize data
      with nFS. Before we release this to all users, we would like to ask
      those of you who are interested to download a special patched version of
      AQ and test this feature.

      You can download the patched file from this link:

      http://www.ancestralquestonline.com/updates/files/latest.zip

      After you download this file, exit AQ and then extract the two files
      contained in this file to your AQ program folder. Normally, this folder is:

      "c:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1"

      This will replace 2 of the program files for AQ. After you extract these
      files, the next time you run AQ it should show today's date (4/13/2009)
      in the About screen. It will still show that it is build 16.

      Thank you in advance to those who are willing to test this new feature
      on a copy of their database. Descriptions below.

      Gaylon Findlay
      Incline Software

      ==========================

      Here is a description of the NEW FEATURE:

      This is found when initially linking a local record with the NFS person.
      The title of the screen is "Link (Sync) *name* with FamilySearch. It is
      accessed when you choose the FamilySearch menu item "Link (Sync)
      Individual", or when you are doing a group sync, and you preview a
      matched record.

      You will see a new button at the bottom of the screen labeled, "LDS".
      This button will bring up a new screen that lets you see just the
      pertinent information for downloading your local record with LDS
      ordinance information from New FamilySearch. You do not have to link
      your record with the FamilySearch record to transfer the LDS ordinance
      information. You could, in turn, select each of the possible matching
      records from FamilySearch, and use this new screen to compare the LDS
      ordinance information between your local record and the selected
      FamilySearch record. If you see an ordinance you would like to transfer
      from NFS to your record, you can check the box and save it.

      Working with the relationship ordinances may require some explanation.
      You first need to select the parents or spouse on the local (left) side
      of the screen. If there is an exact match on NFS, AQ will select the
      matching parents or spouses. If there is not an exact match, you will
      then need to select the parents or spouses on the NFS (right) side of
      the screen. Once you have determined that the parents or spouse is the
      same, then select the ordinance to copy and check the box to confirm
      that you want to download that ordinance for that relationship.

      ==========================

      This patch also fixes the following reported problems:

      * Check/Fix now finds and fixes additional issues
      * On Sync Parents/Sib screen, if parents weren't linked, the screen let
      you select items for main person when it shouldn't have. Fixed.
      * On Sync Par/Spouse fam screens, if nFS did not have two spouses, AQ
      would let you try to seal a child. This produced an error in nFS. AQ now
      warns you that without two spouses you can't seal the child.
      * On Family Sync screen, if you were adding marriage events for the
      parents and a child who was already linked was being connected to the
      nFS family, after the child was connected, AQ would crash when
      attempting to add the marriage event to nFS. Fixed.
      * In Build 15 or 16, we introduced a bug when creating book reports and
      web pages on a PAF file. Fixed.
      * In the Family Sync screen, we had added a "Mark All" button. Sometimes
      that marked only some. Fixed.
      * If an NFS event has multiple contributors, and you are one of them,
      and you attempt to change the event info, this only worked sometimes. Fixed.
      * If an extra event contained a description with certain special
      characters, like "&", this event would not upload to nFS. Fixed.
      * If you specified, in Preferences, that you wanted the web pages to be
      created in a particular sub-folder, sometimes the web pages would be
      generated in the parent folder. Fixed.
    • Neil Hallam
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 13, 2009
        Gaylon,
        I believe I have followed your installation instructions and my "About AQ"
        now reads Version 12.1.16-4/13/2009 but I do not see the new "LDS" button in
        the "Link (Sync) *name* with FamilySearch" window.
        May be I have missed something.
        Neil Hallam

> [...]
        > parents and a child who was already linked was being connected to the
        > nFS family, after the child was connected, AQ would crash when
        > attempting to add the marriage event to nFS. Fixed.
        > * In Build 15 or 16, we introduced a bug when creating book reports and
        > web pages on a PAF file. Fixed.
        > * In the Family Sync screen, we had added a "Mark All" button. Sometimes
        > that marked only some. Fixed.
        > * If an NFS event has multiple contributors, and you are one of them,
        > and you attempt to change the event info, this only worked sometimes.
        > Fixed.
        > * If an extra event contained a description with certain special
        > characters, like "&", this event would not upload to nFS. Fixed.
        > * If you specified, in Preferences, that you wanted the web pages to be
        > created in a particular sub-folder, sometimes the web pages would be

        17:56:00
      • register
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 13, 2009
          A nice idea. I wish I had it a week ago. The only problem is that it
          CRASHED. That is the program terminated.

          I repeated this several times. First I synced with the LDS and then the
          matching and synced. All looked good, the marriage was sealed, and the
          ordinances were updated.

          BUT now if I double click on the person the program terminates. I have
          repeated this several times with the same result.

          In fact, when I double click on anyone it exits. This is not good.

          Eric

          Eric & Marnie Abell

          Saanichton, BC, Canada

          (250) 652 4616

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 13, 2009
            To make things more interesting, I tried to edit the person from the Edit
            drop down menu and then Ctrl-I. They worked just fine. Now double clicking
            works fine. All this after at least 10 failures.

            Eric

            Before sending this message I returned to AQ to check one more time and this
            time it exited again.

            OK, so I opened a file that have never used this new feature. Sure enough
            it failed as well, many times. 2 click or ctrl-I - all failed.

            Eric

            <http://www.ancestra

            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 13, 2009
              Now for some good news. I returned to my earlier version of AQ dated
              04/06/2009 and it appears to work well so I suspect the new version of AQ
              was at fault but that the data was not harmed. I am sure we will find out
              soon.

              Eric

              Eric & Marnie Abell

              Saanichton, BC, Canada

              (250) 652 4616

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 13, 2009
                Sorry for the many messages but I thought a quick response would help
                someone else to avoid the problem. Now I find that the file I checked was
                an old file that I used for practice but now I cannot open any other file.
                That is, I am stuck with the junk file. I have closed and opened and tried
                several ways and no way it will look at another file.

                Now I have a problem.

                Eric

                Eric & Marnie Abell

                Saanichton, BC, Canada

                (250) 652 4616

                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 13, 2009
                  Neil:

                  Ahhh.

                  I forgot to mention one thing.

                  The default setting for this screen is to *NOT* show the LDS ordinances.
                  The LDS button is only shown if you change that setting so that you will
                  see the LDS ordinances on that screen.

                  Go into "Preferences" under the "Tools" menu, then select the
                  "FamilySearch" tab and check the box: "View LDS Ordinances when matching".

                  Gaylon

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 14, 2009
                    Eric:

                    Without digging into why you can't open another file, there are a couple
                    of suggestions:

                    1) Use "My Computer" to locate another file when you are not running AQ,
                    then double-click on the file
                    2) If it is a PAF file, open it in PAF, then use the Tools menu of PAF
                    to start AQ
                    3) Delete your "ancquest.ini" file. This is the file that remembers
                    which file you were last using (along with your other preferences). Once
                    you delete it, AQ will act like you are running it for the first time.
                    You'll be able to open any other file from the File|Open menu. (The
                    "ancquest.ini" file sits in a folder recommended by Microsoft, and it is
                    different for XP than for Vista. If in XP, it should be in "c:\Documents
                    and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest".)

                    Gaylon

                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 14, 2009
                      Good idea. It worked. Thank you.

                      I have now switched back to the patched version 04/13

                      /2009 and I cannot cause the double click to fail. Go figure.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
                        When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk following
                        the name. What does this signify?

                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
                          Eric:

                          If you view the same person in the nFS screens, do you see the asterisk
                          there? I don't believe AQ puts an asterisk on a name, so it is probably
                          part of the name.

                          Gaylon

                          register wrote:
                          > When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk following
                          > the name. What does this signify?
                          >

                          > Eric

                        • register
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
                            Thanks, I will watch and record the name next time. Any chance of AQ
                            providing a list of all symbols used? I am thinking primarily about symbols
                            I see in front of names when checking spouses and children. Some boxes have
                            dot - that I found in the help screens. But some are greyed and some are
                            darker grey and some of the dots are now equal signs. In front of some of
                            the names there appears a '>'. I list would help - I can find no reference
                            to these in the help area.

                            register wrote:
                            > When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk
                            following
                            > the name. What does this signify?
                            >

                            > Eric

                          • ronaldtilby
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 24, 2009
                              Eric, An asterisk at the end of a name in NFS is probably carried forward from a transcription of a Family Group Sheet. In former times, some researchers would "tag" their direct ancestors with an asterisk at the end of their name on Family Group Sheets submitted for LDS Temple Ordinances.

                              Regards,
                              Ron Tilby
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                                Hmmm. Depends on what you mean by easy. Since nFS stores notes per
                                event, and AQ stores per person or marriage, there is not a one-to-one
                                correlation. If you go to the "Review Individual" screen under the
                                FamilySearch menu, you should see a summary of all nFS notes for an nFS
                                person on that screen. If you then click on the "Notes" button on that
                                screen, you'll see not only the summary of notes for the nFS person, but
                                the notes for the local person. You can highlight notes, then use
                                <Ctrl+C> to copy and <Ctrl+V> to paste notes between the nFS record and
                                the local individual.

                                Gaylon

                                register wrote:
                                > Is there an easy way to copy notes from nFS to my data?
                                >

                                > Eric

                              • register
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                                  Gaylon,

                                  People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.

                                  The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                                  like an interesting feature.

                                  RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                                  reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name cards
                                  using new FamilySearch Web services.

                                  Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                                  same sort of thing?

                                • register
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                                    To set up favourite sites is straight forward. To search these sites is not
                                    - at least for me. If I could see the entire URL for the default locations
                                    that would help but, alas, I cannot. Can anyone lend a hand or direct me to
                                    a solution?

                                    For example, I want to go directly to FamilySearch Record Search and search
                                    for the selected name in the same fashion as Ancestry.com. I can go
                                    directly to Record Search but cannot get the first and last names and search
                                    to work.

                                    Eric

                                    .

                                    <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=25229696/grpspId=1709334992/msgI
                                    d=33/stime=1240069700/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                                      Eric:

                                      In a word, yes.

                                      Unfortunately, the FamilySearch system didn't allow ordinance
                                      reservations when AQ became the first product to synchronize local data
                                      with nFS. They made that available just shortly before RootsMagic was
                                      released, so RM was able to fit that in. We have been working for some
                                      time on a feature that will allow the reservation and tracking of
                                      ordinances, and hope to have it available soon.

                                      Gaylon

                                      register wrote:
                                      > Gaylon,
                                      >

                                      > People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.
                                      >

                                      > The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                                      > like an interesting feature.
                                      >

                                      > RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                                      > reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name cards
                                      > using new FamilySearch Web services.
                                      >

                                      > Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                                      > same sort of thing?
                                      >

                                      > Eric

                                    • register
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                                        Gaylon,

                                        That is good news. I will get the information to our staff.

                                        Eric

                                        Eric & Marnie Abell

                                        Saanichton, BC, Canada

                                        (250) 652 4616

                                        register wrote:
                                        > Gaylon,
                                        >

                                        > People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.
                                        >

                                        > The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                                        > like an interesting feature.
                                        >

                                        > RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                                        > reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name
                                        cards
                                        > using new FamilySearch Web services.
                                        >

                                        > Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                                        > same sort of thing?
                                        >

                                        > Eric

                                      • register
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                                          When I ask AQ to review an individual in FS I get a display that gives me,
                                          among other things, the NFS ID. It also lets me know how may other IDs
                                          exist. Let us say 21.

                                          If I go into nFS and look at the numbers of records hat have been combined
                                          for the same person I get a difference count - say 17.

                                          If I us AQ to do some additional searching and find another duplicate and
                                          then combine these the numbers referred to above will change to 22 and 18.

                                          My problem is that I expected these two numbers to be the same. That is, if
                                          17 records have been combined then AQ would show me that there were 16 other
                                          IDs. That is, the current record ID and 16 others to get 17.

                                          Why the apparent discrepancy between nFS and AQ?

                                        • Stewart Millar
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                                            I have the same issue appearing in my checks between AQ and nFS.

                                            The smaller numbers 2,3,4 duplicates do agree - but with some of the bigger
                                            numbers I have the problem - AQ says 15 Other ID's and yet the nFS combined
                                            records says 12 combined records.

                                            A possibility that I have not yet had the time (or patience) to check is
                                            ---- I wonder if any one of the 12 combined records in nFS is itself a
                                            combined record of a further 3 records that would make the AQ number agree
                                            with nFS. If what I have suggested is a possibility, then when there is a
                                            difference, the AQ number should always be bigger than the nFS number.

                                            === Stewart

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                                                When AQ accesses a record from nFS, it is given a list of all the nFS
                                                IDs by which that record has been known. AQ simply counts these and
                                                displays that number, minus the current number, as the number displayed
                                                is meant to convey "Other" IDs, not "Total" IDs. You will often see a
                                                count of 0 when you look at a record that has never been combined with
                                                another record.

                                                I don't know the full set of rules for when nFS creates a new ID for a
                                                person, but I believe you could have a situation like this:

                                                Bob Smith - ID1
                                                Bob Smith - ID2
                                                Robert Smith - ID3

                                                When you combine ID1 and ID2, you end up with:

                                                Bob Smith - ID4 (Includes ID1 and ID2)
                                                Robert Smith - ID3

                                                Then when you combine ID4 and ID3, you en up with:

                                                Robert (Bob) Smith - ID5 (Includes ID1, ID2, ID3 and ID4)

                                                So nFS's "Combined Records" screen for ID5 would show 3 original
                                                records. But AQ's display of Other IDs for ID5 would show 4 other IDs.

                                                Both displays are accurate. nFS is not showing you all the IDs by which
                                                the person can be accessed -- it is showing the original records. AQ is
                                                showing a count of other IDs. Actual original records would often be
                                                somewhat fewer.

                                                Hope this helps.

                                                Gaylon