Spurious Unknown Relatives

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2009
      All:

      Over the last month or so, we have heard from just a handful of users
      that they are occasionally getting a spouse, parent or child with a name
      of "Unknown" when they use the Family sync screen of AQ. This is the
      screen where you are reviewing your local individual side-by-side with
      the NFS individual, and then you click on the "Parents/Siblings" or the
      "Spouses/Children" button. I expect that more users are seeing this, but
      have not reported it.

      If you have been experiencing this problem, we finally understand what
      is causing it and we have a work-around.

      The FamilySearch team makes changes every 3 months to the way NFS
      responds to AQ and other certified programs. One of the changes they
      made in August caused this to happen. AQ relies on a particular piece of
      information from NFS to speed up its processing, and the way that NFS
      changed that information means that AQ can no longer rely on it in the
      way that it did. As a result, AQ's ability to cache information from NFS
      to speed up processing is no longer reliable, as it will not know when
      relationships change in the NFS database.

      The way to fix this is to disable caching of NFS data in AQ. This will
      cause AQ to work more slowly, but it means that it will always have
      correct relationship information. Go into the "Tools" menu, then to the
      FamilySearch tab. Disable the caching. You may want to first clear the
      cache to free up disk space.

      Gaylon
    • Richard Rands
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2009
        I have no Familysearch tab in the Tools menus, nor do I have a Tools
        menu in the Familysearch Tab.

        Richard

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 13, 2009
          Richard:

          Thank you for catching me. I missed a step.

          Go to the Tools menu, then to the *Preferences* screen where you'll find
          the FamilySearch tab.

          Gaylon