Searching within dates

  • Leslie
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2009
      I dont know whether this has been mentioned before, but i have quite a few individuals which have "abt" in the Date field. i just tried to create a custom report to search for some of these individuals but it tells me that "abt" is an invalid date for the filter. are there any ways around this?

      Regards
      Les
    • Jerry Barrett
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2009
        Les,

        One way would be to create a custom report. I used RIN, Surnane, Given, Birth
        or *Rite Date, Marraige Date, Death or Burial Date. Select the whole database
        or a subset, and then print to a text file.

        "RIN","Surname, Given","Birth or *Rite Date","Marriage Date","Death or *Burial
        Date"
        "45673","BENGIVENGA, Carlo A.","13 Aug 1918","","24 Dec 2008"
        "45674","BASILONE, Angelo","Abt 1864","","" <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        "45675",", Catherine","Mar 1862","1880",""
        "45676","BENGIVENGA, James","2 Mar 1887","",""

        You could then use Notepad and search for Abt. I use a text editor called
        TextPad which allows me to search for all occurances, and the copy only the
        lines with "Abt" - then I paste into a new document. That gives me a list with
        RIN to tie back to the AQ database.

        You could also load the text file into Microsft Excel and do the same kind of
        thing.

        You could also do a search in a GEDCOM extract - but it wouldn't have the
        information all on one line.

        0 @I45674@ INDI
        1 NAME Angelo /Basilone/
        1 SEX M
        1 BIRT
        2 DATE ABT 1864 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

        One advantage to the GEDCOM method, you wouldn't have to specify which dates
        to include in the Custom Report - and you might be able to see dates from
        sources or events.

        Jerry Barrett

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2009
          Jerry,

          Thanks for that, i had already worked out creating a text file.
          i was just hoping for a more elegant route thru AQ itself.

          Regards
          Les