Disputes in nFS

  • register
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 7, 2009
      I can do most everything I want to do in FS from AQ. I was looking for a
      means of adding a dispute. I found the following message in the AQ help
      section but I cannot follow the directions - dumb eh!

      Any suggestions?

      The help item is below

      How to Access: You access this window by clicking the Dispute button within
      the Edit Event for (Individual) dialog box.

      Purpose: This window is used to create your dispute for the selected fact or
      event of this individual.

      How to Use:

      Near the top of the window, the Person is identified. Event/Fact indicates
      the event or fact for which you wish to enter a dispute. If applicable, the
      Date, Place, and/or Description of the Event/Fact will also appear. Use this
      information to verify that you have the correct individual and Event or Fact
      selected.

      Why do you believe that this information is inaccurate? In this area, you
      will type up the reason for your dispute. You may enter source information
      or other substantial reason for your dispute.

      Click the Dispute button to save your dispute record and close the window.

      Click Cancel to close this window without submitting a dispute.

    • Scott Scheibe
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 9, 2009
        At 09:11 AM 10/7/2009, register wrote:

        When you are reviewing an individual look at the data you want to
        dispute, on the right side there is an icon that looks like a
        magnifying glass. Click on it and it will open another window with
        several options along the bottom, one is dispute, click on it enter
        the reason why, save it and close the window.

        >I can do most everything I want to do in FS from AQ. I was looking for a
        >means of adding a dispute. I found the following message in the AQ help
        >section but I cannot follow the directions - dumb eh!

        Scott Scheibe
        dsscheibe@...
        <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

        Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
        <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>
      • register
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 31, 2009
          I am looking for a strategy to maintain my synced records. That is, once I
          have every record synced I need a strategy to update FS when my records
          change and update my records when FS changes.

          I can use the 'check for changes' in the FamilySearch menu. I suppose this
          will return any records that have changed in FS since I synced. I am not
          certain. I get unexpected results.

          That should take care of the FS changes but what of the changes in my
          records? If I was diligent I could keep a list or I could sync every time
          I change one of my records. This I consider too onerous.

          I can use AQ to provide a report/list of those AQ records that I have
          changed since any selected date. This is my best idea so far and only
          demands that I remember when I last called for this report. Once I have the
          list I can 'review'.

          I was hoping that the AQ 'check for changes' would check for changes both
          locally and remotely but it seems that is not happening. Have I missed
          something? What do others do? I really do not want to have to start at 'A'
          and go to 'Z' again.

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
            Eric:

            AQ currently has three things in place to handle this. Well, 2 are fully
            in place, and the third is partially implemented.

            1) When you sync a record w/ NFS, AQ records the current version # of
            the NFS record. When you use the "Check for Changes" button, AQ compares
            these version #s against the current version # on NFS. If the NFS record
            sports a new version, then AQ lets you know that something has changed
            in the NFS record. I am not sure that this is 100% reliable, but it is a
            good start.

            2) AQ also records, when you sync w/ NFS, the current status of the main
            events in your AQ or PAF file. We hope to someday have AQ compare that
            snapshot of information with the current information in your file, so AQ
            can alert you that changes have been made on the local side. This is
            only half done, so you can't use it yet.

            3) AQ has had, for 6 years now, the ability to record details about
            every change you make to the file. This is only available for an AQ
            file. The PAF file has a form of this which will tell you which records
            have changed, but won't record the details. This less detailed form of a
            change log has been around in both AQ and PAF since 1999. In either
            case, go into the Preferences screen, then to the Database tab and turn
            on the Change Log.

            Gaylon

            register wrote:

            > I am looking for a strategy to maintain my synced records. That is, once I
            > have every record synced I need a strategy to update FS when my records
            > change and update my records when FS changes.
            >

            > I can use the 'check for changes' in the FamilySearch menu. I suppose this
            > will return any records that have changed in FS since I synced. I am not
            > certain. I get unexpected results.
            >
            > That should take care of the FS changes but what of the changes in my
            > records? If I was diligent I could keep a list or I could sync every time
            > I change one of my records. This I consider too onerous.
            >

            > I can use AQ to provide a report/list of those AQ records that I have
            > changed since any selected date. This is my best idea so far and only
            > demands that I remember when I last called for this report. Once I have the
            > list I can 'review'.
            >

            > I was hoping that the AQ 'check for changes' would check for changes both
            > locally and remotely but it seems that is not happening. Have I missed
            > something? What do others do? I really do not want to have to start at 'A'
            > and go to 'Z' again.
            >

            > Eric

          • register
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009

              That is a big help. I have used the change log since day 1 and find it
              great. Only 1 question:

              I don't understand what you mean by the version # of NFS record. This does
              not sound like the NFSID,. Or is it? Can I see the version #?

              Eric

              Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] changed records

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
                Eric:

                The version # is not the NFS PID.

                AQ does not show you the version #. It is there, and it changes whenever
                anything affects the NFS record.

                Sort of.

                Prior to the August release of NFS, the version number changed when
                anything affecting the person changed, including relationships. After
                the August release of NFS, the version number no longer changes when a
                person's relationships change, so it has a less complete meaning now.

                By the way, if you use the Family Sync screen of AQ, and notice that
                there are parents or children on the NFS side with the name of
                "Unknown", this is due to the way AQ is expecting the version # to
                change for relationships, and when it no longer does, AQ's family sync
                logic is thrown off if a relationship has changed. The work-around for
                this is to turn off NFS caching within AQ, so that AQ won't rely on the
                version number anymore. The next build of AQ will largely disable NFS
                caching so you won't have to be concerned about this.

                Gaylon

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 9, 2010
                  All:

                  We have just released AQ 12.1 build 24. It fixes most of the problems
                  reported in build 23.

                  The easiest way to get the new build is to:

                  1) Run AQ
                  2) Go to the "Internet" menu, then to "Check for Latest AQ Release"
                  3) Once your browser shows you the page from which you can download the
                  new build, close AQ
                  4) Run or download the "Basic" installer.
                  5) If you downloaded the installer in step 4, run it once it has
                  finished downloading.

                  The list of fixes and enhancements is below.

                  Gaylon Findlay Incline Software

                  ===============================

                  *General Enhancements*

                  * AQ Newsline: Each time you start AQ, it will show you news about
                  the software, updates, training, or other items pertinent to family
                  history.

                  *General Bug Fixes*

                  * Family View: The display of Age at marriage and death, introduced
                  in build 23, sometimes did not fit in the display box. Fixed.

                  *Enhancements to nFS Features*

                  * Login to NFS: The new "LDS Account" is now accepted by Ancestral
                  Quest. NOTE: This was not a change made to AQ, but by FamilySearch about
                  the same time as this build was released. (Even if you still keep build
                  23, you should be able to login to NFS with the LDS Account.)
                  * Group Link: If you link groups of individuals through the Group
                  Link feature, and choose the "Link Only" option, this will now process
                  much more quickly.

                  *Bug Fixes to nFS Features*
                  NOTE: All the following bugs were introduced in build 23 as a result of
                  changes both to NFS and to AQ. These bugs were not present in earlier
                  versions. They have all been fixed in build 24.

                  * Login by non-LDS Users: The login failed for users with an NFS
                  account who were not members of the LDS faith -- there is a difference
                  in how the login is completed in new.familysearch.org. Fixed.
                  individuals in the FamilySearch database -- most common with IOUSs -- AQ
                  might crash during the load. Fixed.
                  * Adding Parents: In the Family Sync screen, if you added two new
                  parents from NFS to a child in your file, and also added parent to child
                  facts, AQ would successfully add the parents, then crash when trying to
                  record the parent to child facts. Fixed.
                  * Adding Person to NFS: If you added a person from your local file
                  to NFS, and this person had a gender of Unknown, the gender was not
                  written to the FamilySearch record. Fixed.
                  * Auto Syncing Family Members: If, in builds of AQ 12.1 previous to
                  23, you had selected the option to automatically sync data, then you had
                  hidden the option screen for this selection, AQ would crash when trying
                  to sync a local record with the NFS record. Fixed.
                  * Delete of NFS Person: Some relationships to the person might not
                  have been deleted at the time the person itself was removed. Fixed.
                  * Connecting of Spouses in NFS: If you had parents in your local
                  file for an individual, and FamilySearch had records of the same
                  parents, but did not have them linked as parents in NFS, AQ attempts to
                  link the NFS records together as child and parents. This was failing in
                  build 23. Fixed.
                  * Legacy Contributions: If you had claimed legacy submissions as
                  your own, AQ would not allow you to modify or remove data from the
                  submissions under a prior different ID. Fixed.
                  * Relationship Facts: While you could add relationshp facts to NFS
                  using AQ's Family Sync screen, you could not modify or delete them. Fixed.
                  * Linking Spouses: If you had previously linked two NFS spouses
                  together, then deleted the relationship using NFS, AQ was unable to link
                  them back together. Fixed.
                  * Gender: If you were the contributor of the gender of a person, AQ
                  should have allowed you to change the gender. It didn't in build 23. Fixed.
                • Scott Scheibe
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
                    At 11:11 PM 4/9/2010, Gaylon Findlay wrote:

                    I have not been able to get either version to install. It starts and
                    then ends with this error " 1607 unable to install shield scripting runtime."

                    Scott Scheibe
                    <mailto:dsscheibe@...>
                    <http://scottsworld.info> Scott's website
                    <http://dsscheibe.blogspot.com> Scott Blog
                    <http://members.cox.net/dsscheibe/vws/> Scott's Weather Station
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 15, 2010
                      All:

                      We released a new build 27 of AQ 12.1 earlier today. This build
                      initiates a new era for Ancestral Quest. Prospective users can now
                      download Ancestral Quest Basics absolutely free. We have done away with
                      the 60-day trial period. For those of you who have already registered
                      your copy of AQ, you wouldn't need to upgrade to this build for this
                      adjustment.

                      We also fixed two issues that crept up as a result of the December 2010
                      release of New FamilySearch this last Monday. And there were a few other
                      minor fixes and enhancements.

                      The list is below,

                      Gaylon

                      * General Enhancements

                      Translation to non-English Languages: Moved several text items to the
                      translation tables.

                      * Enhancements to nFS Features

                      Manage Batches: Added a 'Find' button that lets you search for an
                      individual. If the individual is in one of the batches, the batch will
                      be highlighted for you.

                      * Bug Fixes to nFS Features

                      Review and Synchronize FamilySearch Person with Local Person screen: A
                      bug was introduced in build 26, wherein if you stretched this screen
                      extremely wide, the check boxes could cover up part of the dates. Fixed.

                      LDS Ordinance Reservation screen: A bug was introduced in build 26,
                      wherein if you had checked the "Keep Together" box, but selected any
                      ordinance other than Baptism, then the other ordinances would adjust to
                      the selection, but Baptism would not. Fixed.

                      95 Year Rule: Starting with the December 2010 release of nFS (12/13/10),
                      notifications about the 95 year rule were issued when AQ checked the
                      status of ordinances. AQ improperly showed this notice each time you
                      reviewed a person who had died within the last 95 years. Fixed.

                      Logout: With the December 2010 release of nFS (12/13/10), AQ was no
                      longer able to logout from its connection with nFS. This didn't cause a
                      problem, as this almost always happened as the user exited the program.
                      But AQ presented a message indicating that there was a problem. AQ now
                      properly logs out.
                    • Margaret Thompson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 15, 2010

                        I am running Win7-64bit. When I try to run build 27 it tells me the program
                        is not a Win32 application. Tried running it from the web and also saving
                        the file and running it off the HDD. Help would be appreciated.

                        Margaret

                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 18, 2010
                          Several questions this morning.

                          1. Does AQ deal with nFS discussions in any way?
                          2. Upon checking for changes AQ does not appear to recognize changed
                          ordinances as a change, nor discussions as a change.

                          I hope someone can shed some light on this.

                          Eric

                          -----

                          No virus found in this message.